It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Says It Will Field a Robot Tank that Outperforms Humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Russia will start an A.I. arms race and each side will try to attach A.I. to as many weapons as they can.

The Russian military will field a new armed tank-like robot that “outperformed” manned platforms in recent exercises at the Alabino proving grounds outside Moscow.

That’s what Col. Oleg Pomazuev told the Russian news site “Military Review” in late October. Pomazuev runs the Department of Innovation Research at the Russian military’s Main Directorate of Research Activities, or GUNID.  

The robot, called the Nerehta, can carry a 12.7mm or 7.62mm machine gun or an AG-30M grenade launcher. The Russian colonel did not say which manned platforms the Nerehta outperformed, but among his service’s vehicles of similar size and armament are the BRDMreconnaissance vehicle and GAZ Tigr.

Link

Here's a You Tube video:
Russian tank

Remember what Putin said:

Putin says the nation that leads in AI ‘will be the ruler of the world’

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Teaching A.I. to shoot and Kill, what could possibly go wrong?

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

And any run of the mill modern day RPG will put pail to the thing in no time sharp.

Tanks are great weapons systems in the correct theatre of war but in any kind of urban warfare environment they are simply nothing more than an easy target really.

So automated or otherwise, people will always have the edge, given the correct circumstance.

Plus you just know one of these things is going to do a SWORDS and start targeting its own side. LoL

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
No way an AI system can identify an enemy combatant from a civilian in an urban setting.

This technology means a lot of dead civvies.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

We have facial recognition software that can single out one person from thousands of others already in operation and i think there is some talk as to CCTV cameras being equipped with some form of precrime detection capabilities being trialed in and around some of our larger metropolitan cities.

The technologies, algorithms and artificial intelligence that will drive these new type of weapons systems will obviously be refined over the years to come but 10-20 years down the line these type of military vehicles will most lightly be in service.
edit on 8-11-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
Yeah, but when all humans are the enemy, facial recognition software won't be needed.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Aye it will be Daleks and Terminators at some point i imagine, depending on how the singularity transpires.

But until then we may as well make hay while the sun shines on us biological semi-intelligent Monkeys.

edit on 8-11-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Totally autonomous armed forces.

Coming sooner than you think.... Then an advanced AI created in some lab, under some government/military contract takes over....

You know how this movie ends.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Looks like its time to dust off the ol' Gauss Rifle and the shoulder fire railgun.

I suggest you do the same before skynet takes over.

edit on 11/8/2017 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join