It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Critics Groups Denounce Disney’s Blackout of LA Times, Disqualify Studio From Awards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

The National Society of Film Critics joined the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the New York Film Critics Circle and the Boston Society of Film Critics in denouncing the Walt Disney Company’s media blackout of the Los Angeles Times announced last week in retaliation for critical stories by the paper.

In addition, all four groups voted to disqualify Disney’s films from year-end awards consideration until the blackout is publicly lifted.

On Nov. 3, the L.A. Times announced that its writers and editors had been blocked from attending advance screenings of Disney films in response to The Times’ news coverage of Disney’s business dealings with the city of Anaheim.

www.thewrap.com...

These are the articles in question:

www.latimes.com...

www.latimes.com...

The real issue here is that Disney has a massive influence in Anaheim's government (From of the LA times articles above):

To help get its way, Disney has over the years spent heavily on Anaheim politicians, using a complex network of political action committees to back friendly candidates who will often vote in its favor. Last year, Disney contributed $1.22 million to 10 PACs that were involved in the November election, more than any other company or single individual, according to an analysis of campaign finance disclosures by The Times. Those PACs received funds from multiple sources and most also spent money on elections outside of Anaheim.

edit on 11/7/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

If you feel like someone is trying to hang you, are you obligated to provide them the rope?

I can't comment on whether the stories LAT has published about Disney and the City of Anaheim are factual or not. I haven't read them, and even if I had, I have no information about their relationship to either confirm or refute the stories.

But if you feel persecuted by someone, are you required to help them in any way?

If I make it a habit to shovel my neighbor's driveway when it snows, but then that neighbor starts bad mouthing me to our other neighbors, wouldn't it make sense that I would stop shoveling their driveway?

This isn't a 1st amendment issue. Disney can't prevent LAT from printing stories about them, or review their movies. All Disney is doing is not making it easy for LAT to review its movies. If the critic isn't invited to the advanced screening, they can always buy a ticket when the movie comes out and review it then. The review might be a little later then they'd like, but they can still write it for the late edition on opening day.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

If you read one of the articles, Disney has a very strong influence with elected officials in Anaheim. That's what got them in trouble.

Guarantees secured via the City Council, such as a decades-long exemption from any potential entertainment tax at Disneyland Resort, have helped insulate and expand the property, whose two theme parks welcomed a combined 27.2 million guests last year, according to data from Los Angeles consulting firm Aecom.

www.latimes.com...

The real problem isn't the critics but Disney having a massive influence in Anaheim's government.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Or when Trump threatened CNN journalists?

OH..don't get me WRONG...

DIsney is a SCUMBAG company. Not a fan!
edit on 7-11-2017 by DanteGaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I don't know who listens to critics or media anymore. If you want to find out about a movie check youtube, reddit or any of the numerous blogs. When newspapers and TV were the only goto they were somewhat relevant but then you relied on word of mouth.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

If the influence Disney has in the City of Anaheim was your main point, you certainly buried your lead.

I agree that any corporation or individual should not be able to unduly influence any government, local, state or federal.

But, your opening paragraph implies that what Disney is doing to LAT in regards to the advanced screenings is somehow a 1st amendment issue and beyond the pale. It is not. And I am sure LAT will not let this small gesture from Disney deter them from continuing to investigate Disney's influence in local politics (at least I hope it wouldn't).

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Well my apologies, I now included the issue of Disney influencing Anaheim's government. I should have been more clear.

The problem is though where does it end? As the saying goes start small.....

Death by a Thousand paper cuts.

There was an article yesterday where Disney has plans to buy 20th century Fox. How long will it takes before it monopolize all media including the news?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Who cares what these "film critics" associations do? They make up awards and doll them out why? To gain influence. So if they say, "No soup for you!" I say, "I don't like soup anyway."

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I think the real problem is that it's not the film critics, it's the fact Disney has been gaining far too much influence.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It's not just Disney, a lot of big businesses have to much influence in the town's they set up in .
That's why they shouldn't be allowed to contribute to political agendas of any kind
Aren't corporations thought of as people now ? Whoever came up with and agreed with that is a big part of the problem.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Meanwhile, I wonder what sort of property tax rates the average homeowner pays there? Any parking fee breaks for locals? Nice-paying jobs? Disney gets everything they want, and donates to politicians that will aid in that, and what does the city actually receive in benefit?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
What bothers me about this is that a gigantic corporation like Disney, and a handful of others, can retaliate against a news source because they don't like what they're reporting.

It's a minor action on the part of Disney. I see it like a big bully giving a wedgy to one of his subjects just to keep them in line.

If they can get away with this, who's to say that it wont be more than a nuisance action next time.

These giga-corporations are consolidating and merging into an ever tightening circle of monopolies. At what point do the people realize they have seeded control of their lives to this oligopoly?

-dex

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Well, it seems Disney has backed off...

Disney Ends Ban on Los Angeles Times Amid Fierce Backlash

Amid a growing backlash, the Walt Disney Company on Tuesday reversed its decision to bar The Los Angeles Times from press screenings of its movies following an investigation by the newspaper into the media giant’s business dealings in Anaheim. “We’ve had productive discussions with the newly installed leadership at The Los Angeles Times regarding our specific concerns, and as a result, we’ve agreed to restore access to advance screenings for their film critics,” Disney said in a statement. Disney’s change of course came after a number of news outlets, including The New York Times and the A.V. Club, said they were boycotting advance screenings of Disney films in solidarity.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

We’ve had productive discussions with the newly installed leadership at The Los Angeles Times...

When I read "newly installed leadership" the first thing that crossed my mind was an image of a puppet government kowtowing to their new overlords.

All hail Lord Mickey! (Darth Vader theme plays in the background)

-dex

new topics

top topics

join