It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New CNN poll faulty as usual

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
So CNN has a new poll out, conducted by a polling firm called SRSS. One of the key "results" of this poll is that President Trump's approval rating has fallen to 36%. However, as usual, the numbers are bogus, and I'll explain why.

If you look at the actual poll document (PDF), what you'll find is that the cross-section of people the polled is completely unrepresentative of the US voting population. Of course, if you're just doing a "Do Americans approve of Trump" poll, you wouldn't necessarily have to only poll registered voters. After all, the President represents non-voters as well. Personally, I think they should sample among the entire adult population for a poll like this, since this isn't an election poll. However, they chose to only poll registered voters. If you're only going to poll registered voters, here's the makeup you should use, US registered voters as of 2016:

Overall, 48% of all registered voters identify as Democrats or lean Democratic compared with 44% who identify as Republican or lean toward the GOP.

Source: Pew Research

However, they didn't use those numbers. Here's who they polled:

Among the entire sample, 32% described themselves as Democrats, 24% described themselves as Repub licans, and 44% described themselves as independents or members of another party.

They polled a total of 1,021 people. Using those numbers, they spoke to 327 Democrats, 245 Republicans, and 449 Independent/Other voters, when an actual representative sample of the US voting population should have been 490 Democrats, 449 Republicans and 82 Independent/Other. As you can see, in their polling sample Independent/Other voters were grossly over-represented, and while Democrats and Republicans were both underrepresented, the Republican sample was decreased by nearly double the margin that the Democrat sample was reduced.

And they wonder why their polls are wrong. While this is only an opinion poll, they do this same crap with the election polling. They will use unrepresentative samples of the electorate, which invariably are going to yield inaccurate results. From what I can gather, they instead choose to make the polling sample demographically representative of the US population based on age, race, gender etc, for inclusiveness I guess? That's not very scientific, considering voting rates change throughout those demographics, they're not constant.

#veryfakenews CNN. In all fairness, I've seen Fox polls do this too.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

They are bogus because you don't like them. Got it.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Are you honestly believing this will change anyone's minds? The 10,000 other CNN threads have hardly convinced anyone one way or another so I don't see why you think this one will.

If you dislike CNN so much then why are you giving them ad revenue by putting a link to this poll in your thread? You realize you're giving them what they want?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
LOL...they had candidate Trump lower than 36% approval, one year ago today. Guess who beat Hillary...1 year ago today?

When it comes to Trump polls, always add 30 points for the REAL number. Most savvy Americans know why that is.

BTW - Has anyone started, or will start, a thread for us to post our favorite video from November 8, 2016?

edit on 11/7/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Are you honestly believing this will change anyone's minds? The 10,000 other CNN threads have hardly convinced anyone one way or another so I don't see why you think this one will.

If you dislike CNN so much then why are you giving them ad revenue by putting a link to this poll in your thread? You realize you're giving them what they want?

Perhaps..
Many people live in the shadow of others..
And if those around jump, so did the rest

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Another poll to compare:

Gallup Daily: Trump Job Approval

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
LOL...they had candidate Trump lower than 36% approval, one year ago today. Guess who beat Hillary...1 year ago today?

When it comes to Trump polls, always add 30 points for the REAL number. Most savvy Americans know why that is.

Whoever counts the votes decides the election. And all the state legislators are controlled by lackeys for the Koch brothers.

link   

A new poll from the same Fake News Network that, a day earlier, went out of it's way to accuse Trump of overfeeding fish in Japan by editing film?

It MUST be trustworthy.

link   

Perhaps a Fox poll might be more to your liking.

www.foxnews.com...

It still has Trump on a downward slide into the political record books as unpopular.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The biggest number in my OP was 1,021. The fact you can't understand it is very, very sad.

link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Perhaps a Fox poll might be more to your liking.

www.foxnews.com...

It still has Trump on a downward slide into the political record books as unpopular.

Read the OP. I took a stab at Fox too.

Fail.

link   
a reply to: olaru12

Trump sure looks like an authoritarian dictator in that picture. Strong leadership!

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

You're wasting your time, honestly... there's a much better "poll" out there involving CNN which gets the important point across almost immediately...
www.adweek.com...

Anderson Cooper 360 was CNN’s top show for October (No. 25 in total viewers / No. 11 among A25-54).

CNN's best has 24 other news programs from the competing networks beating it. Their viewer shares are probably lower than some local news shares in the major markets. CNN is dead, we're just waiting for Wolf Blitzer to be informed of that fact so he can misreport it and probably go off-air in the middle of the report.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

The biggest number in my OP was 1,021. The fact you can't understand it is very, very sad.

There is a science to polling. You don't have to poll every single person in the country. You just have to poll a small number and interpolate the results with a factor of error. Of course, how you frame a polling question is very important. Many people engineer polling questions to be elicit desired results. The number of people polled is not as big a deal if it is done right.

edit on 7-11-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is an apple, some people might try to tell you its a banana. They may even write it in caps and scream BANANA, BANANA, BANANA!

But its not a banana... its an apple.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

Trump sure looks like an authoritarian dictator in that picture. Strong leadership!

He looks like he's waving at people. His palm is forward... My God, it never ends.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The news has been replaced by the National Enquirer. News is not news. The news is entertainment designed to get ratings. If saying Hillary Clinton has sex with animals will improve ratings they will say it. Ratings equals money.

The news has been cancelled.

edit on 7-11-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Oh come on, it was good points. You just don't like it that I scored!

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Liberals just do polls to make themselves feel better. That's it. They mean absolutely nothing.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Good catch.

I dont usually like polls. I tend to ignore them all. IMO they are too much a tool for molding public opinion rather than being a valid metric of the same.

Land line polls are absolutely absurd.

Online polls are not secure.

No one trusts in person pollsters.

Outside of politicians and candidates who get the real numbers I dont see it as anything the public needs to worry about.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join