It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets not lose sight of the facts.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
[satire, posted on wrong thread!]

This isn't a thread about NK, I must've posted this on the wrong page

edit on 11/7/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes, I agree 100%

Islamic terror is a small fraction of overall terror which is itself a comparatively small threat. I don't think it deserves nearly the media attention it gets. All "types" of terrorism are even more rare than criminal mass shootings.

I think we should focus on things that do the most good for the largest amount of people

edit on 11/7/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Nice. Agreed. Mass shootings and terrorist attacks seem much worse when they happen because so many people die or are injured all at once when they happen. The emotions are much rawer for people and they want answers and actions undertaken so that it doesn't happen again, but when one takes a step back and looks at the larger picture things become less dire.

Ultimately, we are playing right into what the perpetrators want in either situation. Attention. The mass shooting shooters and the Muslim extremist terrorists both have something in common, they achieve success through attention. They aren't stupid, they know they aren't going to topple whatever institution they are acting out against with their actions. But when you get people angry and upset, they act irrationally and have been known to make things worse for themselves (ex: Patriot Act).

If were to just honor the victims briefly then leave the family members and friends to their grief and pain without making every incident into a major political discussion, it would go a LONG way to stopping many of these attacks. Mark my words.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Agreed! They are definitely "engineered" by their perpetrators to cause as many of these emotions as possible, because like you said, their practical impact on the "system" is very marginal. I also agree that it is the overall shock of the incident that really causes our over-reactions (I'm guilty of this too - like when I call for "more guns" after these incidents).

But there is no doubt, things like the Patriot Act (remember when they tried passing PA2 even?) or more/less guns are exactly the type of reaction they seek. If they can change *anything* then they've accomplished a real world task, and may be emboldened for future actions

I certainly think mass shootings/terrorism/even gang violence are all overblown "threats" while conveniently ignoring the "less interesting/less scary" stuff like heart disease, smoking, cancer, poverty, homelessness, starvation, lack of healthcare, etc. I will never understand the purpose, other than media sources using these events' shock value for their own fame (CNN/Fox News - all major outlets do the same BS, just with different partisan spin cycles).

If were to just honor the victims briefly then leave the family members and friends to their grief and pain without making every incident into a major political discussion, it would go a LONG way to stopping many of these attacks. Mark my words.

Also agree 100% with this

Admittedly, I am guilty of using these incidents to talk about my support of the second amendment - which is of course playing right into those hands!

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: JinMI

I bring up these stats whenever people talk about terrorists too but I get called a terrorist sympathizer instead.

I don't think you'll see me going on a crusade against Muslims as a whole. On the same hand, I don't think I see you in gun debates.

Same with ES.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Same with ES.

Say my name and I may appear. muahahahaha!! Ahem, sorry about that...

To be blunt, I simply don't care about gun debates. Not about the violence, but the debates themselves. Every single time there's a large mass shooting, the same arguments and talking points are slung around & nothing gets accomplished. There's nothing I can say that will change either "side's" opinions, so what's the point?

Personally, I don't fit into either "side" anyway when it comes to guns. I support the right to own them, but I think there should be strong tests & vetting beforehand and during ownership, like a yearly mental exam, etc.

I'm a pretty big advocate for women's self defense, so I literally encourage women to learn about guns and get proficient with them. After all, society won't protect them so they need to at least be able to protect themselves.

I'm also a pretty big advocate for minority ownership of guns. I live in a deeply conservative State where most people don't even want "my kind" here (meaning both black people & Muslims). I've fought literal skinheads since I was in grade school, the people here have fought against my Dad's mosque expansions, we have white supremacist rallies that don't make national news, etc etc etc. My Mom's had to use a gun to stop home invaders twice and I've had guns pulled on me 5 times not including the police. As both an African American and a Muslim, I simply don't trust the police here, the deeply conservative govt here, the Democratic Party, nor the Republican Party to protect me, my family, and our rights. Therefore, good ole Mr Glock makes our acquaintance.

Don't get me wrong, I've encountered quite a few good cops and tolerant people out here. But I still have to deal with BS like my nephew getting bullied by racists, armed right wingers protesting at our mosques, etc. These aren't hypotheticals for us; these are real life situations. Therefore, I fully believe that myself, my family, and my community should be armed for our own protection (that's also why I love MMA; self defense is a must and the Karate Hottie is drool worthy).

I don't expect people here to understand where I'm coming from on this and I frankly don't care if they do or don't. Like I always say, I try to look at issues and then come to my own conclusions about them. And to be blunt, the media narratives for pro-gun and anti-gun topics simply don't match my situation. Therefore, I usually don't feel the need to interject myself in "gun debates".

edit on 8-11-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I've brought up these same stats numerous times. Since when is that a left-right issue?

Which side sees as limiting the 2nd amendment as the right direction in fixing all this?

edit on 8-11-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Like a )#($(# genie!

Simply highlighting that I don't see you guys in those debates is the same as you would rarely see me in the Muslim extremists debates. I've gone quite a ways to not paint with wide brushes and not classify folks into little boxes.

I'm from up north. Inner city raised and dealt with all kinds of racism as well, only I'm white. Was it common? No. Did it happen? My most important role models and mentors happen to have many skin variations and also be women! I can't pretend to know what inner city culture is like in the south but I can take a guess. Even still, applying a broad brush is self wrought ignorance.

Also, firearm education is would be my main agenda. If you're going to own one, know how to use, maintain and safely keep. There is something deeply moving about a woman who can hold their own, no?

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Personally, I don't fit into either "side" anyway when it comes to guns. I support the right to own them, but I think there should be strong tests & vetting beforehand and during ownership, like a yearly mental exam, etc.

The problem is our freedom gets in the way and the fact that guns is a right and not a privilege sets that freedom as driving, as example, does not since it is a privilege. Should there be vetting and a mental health exam before you vote? Same thing...

There is always a fine line between Freedom and security...

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. -Dwight D. Eisenhower

edit on 8-11-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

See my post above yours.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Like a )#($(# genie!

Simply highlighting that I don't see you guys in those debates is the same as you would rarely see me in the Muslim extremists debates. I've gone quite a ways to not paint with wide brushes and not classify folks into little boxes.

I didn't mean to imply that I was blaming you for anything. I actually agree that we have much bigger fish to fry here if our goal is to save lives, though that doesn't mean we should do nothing about the gun situation.

I can't pretend to know what inner city culture is like in the south but I can take a guess. Even still, applying a broad brush is self wrought ignorance.

It's not all bad. In fact, the vast majority of it is amazing. But I was in the underground music scene, which meant doing business with all kinds of questionable people from various demographics. So every now and then, the situation would take a turn for the ugly in a hurry. for what it's worth, I mainly only encounter racism outside of the major cities.

My most important role models and mentors happen to have many skin variations and also be women!

Same here, man. I would be nothing without their love, support, and patience.

Also, firearm education is would be my main agenda. If you're going to own one, know how to use, maintain and safely keep. There is something deeply moving about a woman who can hold their own, no?

2 of the 3 women I've loved the most (in a romantic way) have been marksmen/markswomen. One had won shooting competitions when she was growing up and the other kept what I called a "hand cannon" for home protection. They say that behind every good man is a good woman. But screw that. Beside every good man is a good woman, and there's nothing better than when they say "hold up, I got this".

edit on 8-11-2017 by enlightenedservant because: clarified

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join