It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets not lose sight of the facts.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Heart disease: 633,842
• Cancer: 595,930
• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
• Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
• Diabetes: 79,535
• Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

www.cdc.gov...

All suicides
Number of deaths: 42,826
Deaths per 100,000 population: 13.4
Cause of death rank: 10

Firearm suicides Number of deaths: 21,386
Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.7

Suffocation suicides Number of deaths: 11,407 Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.6

Poisoning suicides Number of deaths: 6,808 Deaths per 100,000 population: 2.1

www.cdc.gov...

As usual, the knee-jerkers are sniffing up the wrong poll. When you folks realize that mental health, media and identity politics are the real threats involving gun ownership, we can talk.

When folks realize that guns are far removed from real causes of death, we can talk.
edit on 6-11-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Are you seriously trying to argue facts and logic with emotional leftest?

Sir, that is doomed to failure... LOL

edit on 6-11-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Not a left right issue.

a reply to: infolurker

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I think the argument applies to anyone who sees recent events as cause and effect of an inanimate object.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Meanwhile in Chicago

There were 228 shooting incidents in October, compared to 353 shootings in the same month in 2016, according to Chicago police statistics. That's a decline of 34 percent. The city has seen 2,445 shootings in total so far in 2017, down from 3,000 through the same date last year, according to police. Eighteen of 22 police districts have seen reductions in shootings compared to last year, and seven have seen reductions compared to 2015, police said. In October 2017, there were 53 murders, compared to 80 in the same month last year, a decline of more than 30 percent, according to the department.

Here is the place where almost all of the laws they want are already implemented yet more people died last month than in the church shooting but because it didn't happen all at once it isn't as useful for the anti gun narrative. So it gets ignored.

You can't legislate away hate.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

No, you most certainly can not. However, we can identify the problem and address it. Society and those that push and pull it in their directed whims are a good start. Taking yourself out of their game is another.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

Meanwhile in Chicago

There were 228 shooting incidents in October, compared to 353 shootings in the same month in 2016, according to Chicago police statistics. That's a decline of 34 percent. The city has seen 2,445 shootings in total so far in 2017, down from 3,000 through the same date last year, according to police. Eighteen of 22 police districts have seen reductions in shootings compared to last year, and seven have seen reductions compared to 2015, police said. In October 2017, there were 53 murders, compared to 80 in the same month last year, a decline of more than 30 percent, according to the department.

Here is the place where almost all of the laws they want are already implemented yet more people died last month than in the church shooting but because it didn't happen all at once it isn't as useful for the anti gun narrative. So it gets ignored.

Ahhh...the Leftist paradise of Chicago.
You might as well move them all to Baghdad, they would be safer.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I've brought up these same stats numerous times. Since when is that a left-right issue?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

If there is to be any understanding and action, there needs to be a consensus that this isn't a partisan issue.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

First WHAT is dementia and it's legal definition?
THAT must be established,first

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

If government were to legislate based on actual facts, we'd be living in a much safer world.

link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Are you seriously trying to argue facts and logic with emotional leftest?

Sir, that is doomed to failure... LOL

Right wing logic....an abortion is murder.

Derp cancels out the other derp.

link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: FauxMulder

No, you most certainly can not. However, we can identify the problem and address it. Society and those that push and pull it in their directed whims are a good start. Taking yourself out of their game is another.

I am not trying to come off as a a-hole here but if I may ask a few questions.

Why do you think that you need to change the world/American Policies to be exact?

Who are you to say that something needs to be done and why?

Why don't you take a political stand and rally support in a real world scenario such as public places instead of ranting on an internet forum?

What exactly makes you any different from the 300,000,000 plus Americans that live life day by day?

Does it make you feel good or like you have accomplished anything for ranting and saying something needs to be done?

The world is a crappy place for a lot of people. Genocide exists in many places, people do atrocious acts to one another for whatever reasons and death is nothing new to us as a species. It will never, ever, ever change.

Now I won't get into the whole if you take a certain weapon away there will be other means to destroy each other. But I have to ask, will they?

In my opinion it seems that here in the last few decades the people are being led to believe that we/they are some sort of special individual. When in fact I see that humanity has lasted for thousands of years in far worse conditions and circumstances. People just want to live their lives and deal with all of the B.S. in their own way.

Why is it that people want to change everything for everyone to the way that they see fit? Is it the invent of social media, the media in general, or some other thing that makes people think that they are special and everyone should listen and do as they do?

Just why?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

If there is to be any understanding and action, there needs to be a consensus that this isn't a partisan issue.

Like your thread hasn't already turned into blatant partisanship with the childish memes and predictable responses.

It's a complex problem but I can't see much thoughtful discussion in the mudpit, or anywhere for that matter in the New ATS
edit on 6-11-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Why do you think that you need to change the world/American Policies to be exact?

At this point I'm not sure there is a policy issue. However there certainly is a societal issue that needs to be addressed.

Who are you to say that something needs to be done and why?

Mass shootings are on the rise. This is a problem, agreed? As an American, living in America that's who I am to say something needs to be done. Admittedly, it's not something one can do alone.

Why don't you take a political stand and rally support in a real world scenario such as public places instead of ranting on an internet forum?

How do you know I don't? Regardless, this is not a political matter.

What exactly makes you any different from the 300,000,000 plus Americans that live life day by day?

Not a damn thing except a voice. Why are you making this about me?

Does it make you feel good or like you have accomplished anything for ranting and saying something needs to be done?

It brings about discussion. As opposed to tearing down, I'd rather attempt and build.

The world is a crappy place for a lot of people. Genocide exists in many places, people do atrocious acts to one another for whatever reasons and death is nothing new to us as a species. It will never, ever, ever change.

I disagree.

Now I won't get into the whole if you take a certain weapon away there will be other means to destroy each other. But I have to ask, will they?

Are you under the assumption that I'm for taking away of firearms? Don't make that mistake.

In my opinion it seems that here in the last few decades the people are being led to believe that we/they are some sort of special individual. When in fact I see that humanity has lasted for thousands of years in far worse conditions and circumstances. People just want to live their lives and deal with all of the B.S. in their own way.

I agree. However that doesn't mean we can't do something of value for our time on this earth. There will be a point, as there has been throughout history were people just can't 'live.'

Why is it that people want to change everything for everyone to the way that they see fit? Is it the invent of social media, the media in general, or some other thing that makes people think that they are special and everyone should listen and do as they do?

The reasoning is pretty simple. Some just don't want to live day to day. I havn't mentioned anywhere in this thread where I aim to change a mind or advise someone to think as I do. Nor anywhere else for that matter that I'm aware of.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Like your thread hasn't already turned into blatant partisanship with the childish memes and predictable responses.

It's a complex problem but I can't see much thoughtful discussion in the mudpit, or anywhere for that matter.

I'm not responsible for what others post. That didn't stop you from pinning it on me though, huh?

It's a complex problem but I can't see much thoughtful discussion in the mudpit, or anywhere for that matter.

Then why respond to this thread at all? By your own metric, it's completely out of bounds for discussion from you.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If government were to legislate based on actual facts, we'd be living in a much safer world.

Seems like a completely rational action.

Perhaps if money wern't linked to politics?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Then why respond to this thread at all? By your own metric, it's completely out of bounds for discussion from you.

I welcome a rational discussion. You set the protocol and I'll abide but putting words in my mouth isn't a great beginning.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I welcome a rational discussion. You set the protocol and I'll abide.

I've laid out the factual information in the OP. Taking those into consideration, what steps will aid, in your opinion, to remedy the mass shootings that keep on happening.

My opinion is media attention to the shooters and the copycat condition. Also to that, various radical and extreme identity politic pushers and the media used to propagate that message in turn radicalized and turns those to extremism. Underlying mental problems notwithstanding.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I see it as a cultural problem where strength and violence is respected and admired, in sports, media, games, etc. and intellectual pursuits are deemed "sissy"... and what more demands respect and fear from others than a gun. Imagine a desperate insane and confused individual with that kind of power.

Sorry for the cynicism but I just don't see a cultural paradigm shift back to the "peace and love" days.
What ever the solution is, it will be drastic and draconian. And will the populace react in their own best interest? Have they ever?

Many here even seem to welcome anarchy and survival of the fittest, chaos and revolution. I think we are witnessing the beginning.
Civilization is more fragile than we can imagine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join