It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Officials: Woman Made Up Tossed Baby Story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
A woman who said that the baby she took to the Sheriff's station in Broward County, Florida, because he had been thrown from a moving car, has admitted the child is hers. Patricia Pokriots hid her pregnancy and concocted the story because she did not want to keep the child. Florida state law allows for a woman to legally abandon a baby, if the child is turned in to a hospital or fire station within three days of birth. The woman, whose ten-year-old son has also been taken into custody, because she refuses to name the father, is under involuntary psychiatric observation, because she is considered to be a threat to herself or others, will not face any charges, except perhaps, for filing a false police report.

story.news.yahoo.com
A woman who claimed to have witnessed a newborn being thrown from a moving car was the baby's mother and concocted the story as a way to abandon the child and conceal her pregnancy from her family, officials said Friday.

"It's not as horrible as we first thought," Sheriff Ken Jenne said. "The baby was never thrown out of a moving car. This is the case of a disturbed woman who gave birth and did not want to keep her child."

No charges were brought against the woman, 38-year-old Patricia Pokriots. She was committed for psychiatric evaluation under a law that allows for people who are a threat to themselves or others to be held for 72 hours.

On Thursday afternoon, Pokriots dropped an hour-old baby off at a sheriff's station, telling authorities that she had scooped the boy up after seeing him tossed out of a car onto the grass, Jenne said. Pokriots told investigators she saw a couple arguing in a car, then witnessed the woman throwing the child from the passenger side

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow! This is pretty bizarre. You know, you hear it all the time how painful giving birth is and what man is going to argue, but when I hear of cases like this and the teenager who gave birth in the bathroom during the prom, I have to wonder what is going on. I mean, this child weighed eight pounds, two ounces at birth. How do you hide a pregnancy like that? Oh well, it's only a child.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com

[edit on 05/2/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
This lady didn't think of the baby like that... the fact that she made this story up to conceal the birth, but to allow herself be the baby's "Savior" concreted a relationship chance in the future for the mother to step back into it's life once she could financially support it.. or perhaps mentally as well.

If you grew up your whole life thinking your mother abandoned you, and then find out 20 years later that she never abandoned you, she just couldnt support you and wanted you to live a happy life with someone that could. And the fact that she posed as your savior (saved you from obvious death) should show that she never once intended to leave you forever.

.. but then again, there are other more reliable ways to reach back out to your children if you so choose an adoption.. so yeah.. she's nuts.. but to say she was thinking "Oh, damn, just another kid to hand over" is both rude and misinformed IMO.

To each his/her own.. its not up to us to decide what goes on, went on, or should go on in this lady's life. Nor her childs.

But I'm afraid the massive publicity on this case will do just that.. it's been awhile since a "Orphaned cuban boy" type story brainwashed us.. why not a new one.. hopefully the media lets this one go now.. and doesnt rail road it into our homes..

Edit Add: I just want to comment, that after witnessing 3 births (my 3 daughters) that there is always an instant overwhelming connection the minute that baby cries. It's not just something we see on TV.. its real.. For a woman to give up a baby, after experiencing this instant love, must be the hardest thing in the world, to do...

..unless of course shes just some crack hoe who got knocked up.. that changes everything.. unfortunatly..

[edit on 2/12/2005 by QuietSoul]

[edit on 2/12/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the clarification, QuietSoul.

Here are some more links for those who are interested.

www.indystar.com...

msnbc.msn.com...

www.palmbeachpost.com...

www.nypost.com...

news.google.com...://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/40389.htm

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
First, I want to say much kudos to the state of Florida for having the "safe haven" law. I'm assuming all 50 states DON'T have this...shame on the ones who do not.

Second, though I can't conceive of not wanting my baby, I do not condemn some one who realizes they just truly don't and can't be a parent to the baby. This is nothing new. Babies being left exposed to the elements to die are through-out ancient history, and in China, where strict population control has been in effect, unwanted female babies are left in the woods to die. This woman did not choose these paths of abandoning her unwanted baby to sure death, instead she did what she could to save it. But what concerns me is that our society hasn't come to the point that we have made a mother, who knows she is incapable of fulfilling the required needs of a child, know that she will not be castigated or expelled from our community because she does the right thing - give up the baby. And it is this failure amongst all of us, that led this woman to try to cover up her decision.

My heart goes out to the 10 year old boy right now....the woman's other child. So far, I have not read anything that insinuates she was a bad mother to him. He has all of a sudden had his mother separated from him, and is in state care. Let's pray that all is rectified quickly so that IF, in fact, she is a good mother to this boy - they can be re-united in short order.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I live in florida and this story was all over the news yesterday .
First off the woman clamed to have seen the babby thrown from the car and when she looked the babby had a plastic bad over its head.
Ok so cops check into it and theres a day care center there and there were also kids and people comming and going from the day care center .
so the cops go looking for wittness and they get kids and other people who say yes we saw a car and someone through the baby out.
So the docters look at this baby that is in CRITICAL conduchion .
if what this lady is claming is true then why was this baby in critical conduchion? On the other hand the docters did say the baby had NO cuts scraches or broken bones an unexpected thing if it was throun from the car .
The morel to this is theres MUCH more to this story were not being told.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The reports late last night stated the woman confessed to the police that she had no desire to have the baby and that she was "afraid she would harm it". Her story about finding it with a "plastic bag over its head" may hint at the fact she either contemplated doing that, or started to do it.

Now, also, late last night, the reports were stating the baby was "perfect". So, there's a bit of discrepancy there, huh?

Whether the woman attempted to do something to the baby and stopped short, or not, I would think the baby wasn't in an ideal situation for a newborn...period. I mean he was delivered in a bathroom...that's not all that great. So, them listing him in critical condition doesn't surprise me, it just doesn't mesh with the statements last night.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The woman's psycho to say the least. Her problem goes beyond trying to hide a pregnancy-like the law states in Florida, she could have dropped it off at a number of places, instead she chose to make up such a horrifying story that someone threw it from a car...A true psycho for sure. I think they're being way too lenient on her- i wonder if she has money and if she is white? I havent seen the pictures. I wonder what would happen if a minority did this?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The other reason that the baby is listed as being in critical condition is that the mother "did not know" she was pregnant until recently, a couple of months.
Thus through out the fetuses development there was not prenatal care.
Also considering the woman works in a bar there is a high probablility of fetal alcohol.syndrome.

top topics

join