It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cemu - Wii U Emulator

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Started to play around and use this semi-functional Wii U emulator around a month ago and find it to be rather good, great to be honest, but with a good few issues and other problems associated with console emulation on the PC.

cemu.info...

Just wondering if anyone else is playing around with it and have some tips or other thoughts regarding Cemu 1.11.0c?

I'm running said emulator on 2 systems right now my main rig, which comprises an AMD Ryzen 1600X, GTX 1070 8Gb, 16Gb DDR4(2300Mhz) and also my other system an Intel i52500K, GTX 770 4Gb, 12Gb DDR3(800Mhz). Have to say the old Intel system seems to offer, by far, the better performance fps wise in games such as Mario Kart 8 and The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild which rather mystifies me. Guess Cemu prefers the older 4 core i5 and DDR3 rather than the newer Ryzen CPUs with DDR4.

Your thoughts please fellow ATS members.

edit on 6-11-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Intel is better in single core performance, that's what happening.

Cemu only use a core
edit on 6-11-2017 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Thank you for responding.

Yes i get that, but one would imagine, given the fact that the AMD rig is Overclocked to 4.0Ghz and the Intel rig is not overclocked and runs around 0.2% slower than the Ryzen system 3.8Ghz(Capable of 4.5Ghz on air all the same), and the discrepancy memory wise(over 1200Mhz), that the newer system would pick up the slack.

I tend to think its more of a compiler issue AMD related on Cemus end. Intel has just been ahead of the game for so long with AMD having pretty much no irons in the fire until Ryzen came along that software tends to favor Intel instruction sets over AMD, or so it seems to me.

Are you using Cemu yourself, if so how are you finding it?

Also Cemu now has multicore functionality, been that way since 1.8 i think.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I've used it for the newest Mario Kart, it's strange how emulation works on it, you have to play through a lap and it will judder all the way through but after 1 lap it seems to records the level into memory.
Like it loads the shaders and for the first time it struggles but once done, it is done.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Are you using Cemu yourself, if so how are you finding it?

Nope i got a potato from 5 years ago and my gpu just died, but dreaming of getting a new pc some time in the future all research I made tells me that the speed of rysen is much much lower on single core performance, at the level of intel's 2013 processors.

Try assigning cemu to one CCX, cross CCX affect heavy on performance.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

Heard a few rumors about Mario Kart 8 as to the reasons for slow down ranging from memory caches being full or incomplete to the same regarding shaders.

Downloading the hires GFX pack and running those as opposed to the 1080p or lower, for some reason seems to help.

I can get a very stable 55-60fps on my Intel system with little to no slow down whatsoever, same with the Ryzen rig but sometimes fps seems to half and even worse approaches only 14 fps for certain portions of the race.

Which makes me once again question whether or not Cemu likes Intel better than AMD or possibly some kind of memory hole or other issue associated with the DDR4? I tend to imagine future updates will iron out and address such issue all the same.

Have you tried Breath of the Wild?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Ile give it a go, cheers.

But the given the fact that the Nintendo Wii U is built around a multi-core chip and design, i really cant see how or why running Cemu on a single core will address the issues/speed discrepancy, or even if it can work on only one core efficiently.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Wii u use 3 cores, but cemu emulate all 3 in just 1 core

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Heard a few rumors about Mario Kart 8 as to the reasons for slow down ranging from memory caches being full or incomplete.

Downloading the hires GFX pack and running those as opposed to the 1080p or lower, for some reason seems to help.

I can get a very stable 55-60fps on my Intel system with little to no slow down whatsoever, same with the Ryzen rig but sometimes fps seems to half and even worse approaches only 14 fps for certain portions of the race.

Which makes me once again question whether or not Cemu likes Intel better than AMD or possibly some kind of memory hole or other issue associated with the DDR4? I tend to imagine future updates will iron out and address such issue all the same.

Have you tried Breath of the Wild?

Couldn't get Breath of the wild to work at any good standard. I forget my entire setup but it's like 32Gb DDR3, i5 chip from maybe 18 months ago, and GTX 980. After the initial lap on Mario kart it looked very much 60fps to my eyes.
Zelda, I think got 8-12 fps and a whole lot of scenery missing.
I'm not sure what it runs best on as these were my only two experiences, funnily enough I removed Cemu last night to make room for the new south park game.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Wii U CPU have 3 cores at around 1.24GHz each and a AMD Radeon-based GPU running about 550MHz.

1 core running at 4.0Ghz might not have the computational power to keep up given the 3-1/5-1 ratio rule of thumb computational emulation wise.

But like i said i will give it a go.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Your setup is more than capable of running said game, i can get a steady 30 fps when i enable GFX packs, 4K seems to work best for some reason even though my setups only 1080p.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake Ya know after a few rigs and using AMD for the most part anytime I ran a emulator Intel always performed better. I did get really good video processing quality with AMD but my current Intel just ownes all my past ones. The I7 2600k just performs so well even though it is a couple years old. I also turned the turbo off in the bios and can still play anygame in ultra and watch 4k no prob.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

That might change in the future with Threaddripper and Ryzen making their mark the way that they are.

AMD even seem to have gotten there ducks in a row GPU wise, if somewhat still heavy on the power side and temperature department.

Way i look at it is from both sides but competition has to be good for any industry.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Why is Cemu so slow and will performance ever improve in the future?

At this point Cemu can already be considered highly optimized and possible future optimizations will only arrive in small and incremental steps. Keep in mind that emulation always requires a high performance system compared to the emulated system. For Cemu, the single core performance of your CPU (and by extension RAM speed) is the most important factor for fullspeed emulation.

cemu.info...

cemu use openGL and openGL is single thread mostly.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Both cards im using use "openGL 4.0", kind of standard on any recent Nvidia card through.

I get where you are coming from single core wise, i do it all the time on a few PC games but it seems to me, emulation wise, multicore functionality is the way forward as long as the other cores are taken advantage of in a proper efficient manner.

I think Cemu recommend at least a multi-core system as a requirement to run, but like i said i will indeed try you r suggestion and get back to you.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake I do have a question for ya. I have never used a AMD gpu and actualy do not know anyone that has. I was considering about making a new rig with a R7 but am not happy with the power consumption. Now with the AMD chips out how is the power usage and are they still really loud? I guess what I am asking is the piwer use down and the sound on the cpu enough to consider using the R7 gpu?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Im an Nvidia fanboy mate have been for quite some time, last ATI card i had was a 1600, about 15 years ago if memory serves.

So i cant honestly comment with regards to you question with any accuracy.

I will say that AMD are getting better, a lot of reviewers tend to favor the R7 even over the 1080 in some departments.

My AMD Ryzen 1600X is water cooled(closed 120mm loop) so pretty much no perceivable noise to the point where i can hear my hard drive reading/writing. LoL

As to power requirements, Ryzen wipes its arse with the new Intel CPUs in that area.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake I have always been a Intel fanboy but really want to try something new. I have a rig that uses a FX series AMD cpu with a GTX550ti and it ran great in the living room for about 3years. Now it has alot of hickups with somegames. Ever since that started to happen I have wanted to make a entire system built around AMD mostly just to get the AMD experience.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Quite partial to Intel myself but cost is an issue these days and lets face it Intel should have been much further ahead of the curve than they appear to be given the head start and monopoly there i5/i7 CPU gave then for almost a decade.

Ryzen does what it says on the tin and keeps the AM4 chipset to boot, even for the next generation of Ryzen CPU or so im lead to believe. Intel simply play far to much tick tock chipset wise for my liking thesedays.

That being said the best CPU i have ever owned were Intel a E8500 duel core and my beloved i5 2500K.

Ive had my Ryzen CPU for about 6 months now and quite frankly im impressed beyond measure.

Aside form this Cemu fiasco of course, if indeed its chipset realated.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Do you own the ROMS you are playing? Otherwise you are playing games that I paid good money for, along with the Wii U. The Wii U has some AMAZING games, Xenoblade X, MK8, Wind Waker, Breath of the Wild, 3D World.

I mean, if you purchase the games, and play them on the emulator that's one thing, otherwise its stealing, and not okay. The games are still being sold and are not even 5 years old.

edit on 6-11-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2017 by kurthall because: add

top topics

<<   2 >>

join