It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is bully politics and vitriolic political rhetoric making our society more violent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I don't think guns are the problem in our society. Guns don't kill people bullets do. But as it's often said guns don't shoot themselves.

Maybe the reason why so many people are snapping to violence is because in today's society our culture values STRONG leadership over diplomatic discussions for resolving problems and conflicts. Today the biggest bully in the room is always "right". People softly expressing opposing opinions are dismissed as irrelevant. Strong vitriolic rhetoric is revered. Compromise is for pussies. It's a my way or the highway mentality.

Is it any wonder in a society that values strong arm tactics above all others for resolving conflicts would result in some people just taking charge once and for all?

Having a relationship with other people requires hard work. Taking the easy way out is just easier.

edit on 6-11-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Is bully politics and vitriolic political rhetoric making our society more violent

I think so, but at the same time it's exposed what has always been there.

People love to think modern society is civilized, but it's anything but.

It's like lighting a match and throwing it on gasoline.
edit on 6-11-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I think so, but at the same time it's exposed what has always been there.

People love to think modern society is civilized, but it's anything but.

It's like lighting a match and throwing it on gasoline.

Dammit neo i have to agree what you just posted.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

No. The reaction to bully politics and vitriolic political rhetoric is making our society more violent.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's more like

"Bull-LOL-otics"

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

No. The reaction to bully politics and vitriolic political rhetoric is making our society more violent.

But you never agree with anything I say.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
It's more like

"Bull-LOL-otics"

Thank God we do not live in your world. I hope some day you run for office so we can have a real laugh!

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
There is no simple answer to this question. Politics has always been a nasty game and humans are violent by nature. Review the first few years of the Republic and you will see political rhetoric at some of its worst in American history. The duel between Hamilton and Burr being one of the prime examples. I think part of the issue is that, by nature, we value some level of a privacy "bubble". Whether it be our politics or our personal lives, we tend to be very tribal. We stick to who and what we know that keep us comfortable. Certain people live and work near people just like them. People formulate friendships and acquaintances based on common likes or ideas. But there are several ways that our personal bubbles get shrunk over time. The explosion of social media over the last decade has allowed people to connect with other diverse groups of individuals, but not always in good ways. Political discourse over the internet is atrocious. It is not hard to connect with individuals that have group think, but very tough to engage with political opinions adverse to your own. The rules that governed us as children, such as be kind, have respect, and treat others how you would want to be treated, all go out the window when online. We have more and more laws, rules, and regulations that bind us together each year. The rules that govern discussion are changing constantly... what was once taboo is now generally accepted and what was once generally accepted is now taboo. Life isn't easy and it seems like many people have more mental health issues than ever before. I don't know if its a lack of value of life, lack of meaning in life, poor upbringing, loss of problem solving skills or rational thinking... hell, it could be all of them. But it also could be that these issues have always been among us, just not reported on until a 24/7 media cycle was implemented.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Well it certainly is not setting a good example for the kids coming up in this country...act like a jack asses and you too can be in government....it's horrible..

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
You mean screaming "racist!" at people, calling everyone I disagree with a nazi, rioting in the streets, and dehumanizing people for their election choices makes people angry and potentially violent?

Convincing millions of people that voting for a particular candidate makes you evil and you have to eliminate the "threat" BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY(BAMN/Antifa) might inspire someone to try to kill republicans at a baseball game, or assault a sitting senator, or shoot up a church?

We're mainstreaming hatred and violence now. It used to be a small group of assholes. Gangs, neo-nazis, and black bloc idiots who caused the trouble.

Now we're suckering everyone in by making these tactics cool on social and national media.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

It's okay to hate, not compromise and be unforgiving.

It's the new normal.

Welcome to Hell.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

RE: Is bully politics and vitriolic political rhetoric making our society more violent

Didn't you watch the rioting all last year?

I figured the answer to your question just went without saying.

For how many years were there zero partisan based riots, and then a few years of SJW psychoticism and look at how many there were -paired together with black supremacist race war rioting no less- in one single year.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

"Yes" if You add "EGO" to the initial problem. It is like those that MUST have the last word, who NEED to be 'right' etc. took those emotions and increase them exponentially until they HAD TO ACT ON IT... Somewhere along the line, 'that point' where actions are the end result, when most just theorize of "taking care of their detractors", these folks that act upon those thoughts, crossed said "point".

Is it "video games" where You score points on how many folks You slay, and if You get killed, You just press 'Reset' For those who play Texas Hold'Em, these are the guys who go "All In" every other hand and when they crap out, they just get more chips, same deal (pun intended)...

In other words... "Its just everyone that opposes My thoughts, who are screwed up..." hahahaha

This is one of those questions that You'll NEVER get 'the truth™' ...

Stay Hydrated and Your powder dry....

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Can’t help... I think Micheal Moore’s gun documentary said it best..

What I got from Micheal Moore’s documentary was the problem isn’t necessarily the guns. It is the fact the media only shows ya the most insane 1 in 10 million criminal stories about rape serial killers..

A) the vast majority of himocides is committed by a close friend or family..

B) the vast majority of burglars or thrives would be scareder if you than you were them.. most often it’s the idiot kids down the block or just oneone wanting a pay check not a murder charge.. so we end up shooting at shadows.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Also- Don't dismiss pharmaceuticals in the water supply. What are the effects of Fluoride and Thorazine? Fluoride and prescribed medications??

I only type this because I just now saw/heard Dr. Oz™ recommend "Flushing unused medications in the toilet"...

So go ahead and add that to the "what ifs"...

Stay Hydrated.... (after a good dose of R.O. if'n drinking off a municipal tap...)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Uh, no.

George Soros paying people to do crazy stuff is a huge part in the violent uptick from society today.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
You mean screaming "racist!" at people, calling everyone I disagree with a nazi, rioting in the streets, and dehumanizing people for their election choices makes people angry and potentially violent?

"screaming" is a little dramatic characterization. Racism is still a big problem in this country. "Dehumanizing" is a little dramatic too. People only take away from you what you let them. Don't let them take away your humanity.

People's anger was not over election choices. People who were upset do not want to see this country revert back to a time when racism, bigotry, and prejudice were more explicitly experienced. Racism is bad enough before Trump got elected. People are just scared it will get worse.

Maybe if we listened to what people are concerned about they may actually have valid points of concern.

Convincing millions of people that voting for a particular candidate makes you evil and you have to eliminate the "threat" BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY(BAMN/Antifa) might inspire someone to try to kill republicans at a baseball game, or assault a sitting senator, or shoot up a church?

People only convince you that you are evil if you let them. People are not evil. People's behaviors are evil. There's a big difference. In one case, we can address the behavior and maybe be a little more accommodating. Thinking people are convincing you that you are evil just divides our country and destroys the unity of our people.

Every community organizing protesting inequality always says non-violence is paramount. There are many people on the left who say groups like Antifa doing violence only serves the purposes of people on the right. There are even some people who say the Russians are behind the violence showing up at protests in order to try to destabilize the United States.

And all the news feeds are own by Republicans. None of the news feeds are featuring people on the left who are advocating non-violence. The news feeds are all about ratings and making money. Show people rioting makes money. Heck, the news channels themselves might be planting violent protesters in the crowd just to get the money shot!

Most people I know on the left don't own guns and are pacifists. I would say the majority prefer non-violence in all conflict resolutions.

We're mainstreaming hatred and violence now. It used to be a small group of assholes. Gangs, neo-nazis, and black bloc idiots who caused the trouble.

I think people who becoming agitators and protesting more aggressively are probably motivated by poverty more than anything else. Wealth inequality is at all time highs. Robber Barons will the cartels and monopolies are raping the workers everywhere. Tensions are high that have nothing to do with Trump and racism. The cabal of billionaires are the only ones who get representation in our government. People in the cities have to do with institutional organized crime by ruthless corporations and the privatization of government. I'm really surprised we do not have MORE riots in our cities more often.

Now we're suckering everyone in by making these tactics cool on social and national media.

I don't think people are sheep like you are saying. No one is being suckered. Again, I think the violent protesters may be plants.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Uh, no.

George Soros paying people to do crazy stuff is a huge part in the violent uptick from society today.

If Soros is so powerful, then how come Republicans control every level of government from local to the presidency including the Congress and Judiciary branches.

I think the Soros behind everything is superstition. Violence during protest never solves anything. Non-violent protests are much more effective. Why would Soros help people on the right justify their use of Gestapo tactics by police?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I don't understand what you are getting at. Can you just say what you mean without posting questions as if I understand exactly what you are getting at.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Well it certainly is not setting a good example for the kids coming up in this country...act like a jack asses and you too can be in government....it's horrible..

I agree. People in government need to set the example.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join