It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness and Gun Rights

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The debate shouldn't be about just people with mental illness and guns. It should be about what steps are being taken to address mental illness in this country. We've come a long way from sanitariums, but the mental well being of our citizens still has a long way to go.

Solve the issue of reaching people with mental illnesses and perhaps we wouldn't be having this debate.

Talking about mental illness can be hard, but it's an important conversation.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm confused and logging off.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Yes I was here under a different name then my computer fried during a windows update when we lost power signed up again under a new name psychiatrists have over 200 conditions to label you but they cant cure one of them and yes their drugs can make you mentally unsound if your going to descriminate based on illicit drug abuse you've just disarmed half the country

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
First we have to come together as a people and fix our mental health institutions.
We need laws about what is and what is not mental illness to be start forward and unambiguous.

Until that happens who is to say my belief that my grandparents talk to me in my head and that I clearly hear there voices isn't a mental illness, and stops me from owning my hunting rifle?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
All the numerous false flags got you confused.

Not that there are not genuine mass shootings by disturbed individuals, but *many* of them are false flags in order to take your guns.

They succeeded in seizing Australia's guns with a big false flag event. In that event 19 people (out of many more) were killed with a single shot to the head. Very suspicious.. - Link

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Violent crime is on a downward trend:

Violent crime in the U.S. fell 4.4 percent last year to the lowest level in decades, the FBI announced Monday.

In 2013, there were 1.16 million violent crimes, the lowest amount since the 1978’s 1.09 million violent crimes, Reuters reports.

All types of violent crimes experienced decline last year, with rape dropping 6.3 percent, murder and non-negligent manslaughter dropping 4.4 percent and robbery dropping 2.8 percent.

Time

Antidepressants use has gone up dramatically during that same period of time:

Antidepressant use among Americans is skyrocketing. Adults in the U.S. consumed four times more antidepressants in the late 2000s than they did in the early 1990s. As the third most frequently taken medication in the U.S., researchers estimate that 8 to 10 percent of the population is taking an antidepressant.

Scientific American

So it's pretty obvious that if more and more people are taking these drugs, and violent crimes are on a downward trend...

It's not the drugs people.

You can't just point at a pill and either expect a quick fix, or an easy scapegoat for the nation's deep-rooted cultural problem. This goes far, far deeper than just a prescription.

People are pissed off. People are disenfranchised. People feel powerless and abused by a system that dehumanizes them and treats them like drones.

This is a systemic problem that's been festering and growing under the surface for some time. American culture itself is toxic, and we're seeing the effects of that toxic culture in the form of violent outbursts. Consumer mania and "the rat race", spurred on by a mutated form of ruthless capitalism and materialism have taken its toll on society.

It's not the guns.

It's not the pills.

It's the very foundation of our culture that's the root cause. Until we address that, and we start trying to fix how we view others, ourselves, and most importantly -- what we value -- this will continue.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

Not that there are not genuine mass shootings by disturbed individuals, but *many* of them are false flags in order to take your guns.

They succeeded in seizing Australia's guns with a big false flag event. In that event 19 people (out of many more) were killed with a single shot to the head. Very suspicious.. - Link

Do you really believe that, really?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   

In the United States, 1 in 6 adults are on some type of psychiatric drug; antidepressants were most common, followed by anxiety relievers and antipsychotics.

The reason we all have high depression and anxiety is because, though we do not realize it we all live in a semi-slave society.
We are slaves to our money, our property, our relationships. The way the world is now with our cities full of concrete, our water and air polluted, not being able to trust what we eat, all of the things that we deal with everyday work on our minds in a negative way and we feel it. Though most of us don't understand were that feeling is coming from.
That's why it is dangerous in a society such as ours to make laws that can have citizens locked up because they might get emotionally distraught.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Nail on the head, man.

2nd

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

And I was reminded today that the majority of the mass shooters were white males. In that other discussion, the topic of toxic white male privilege was being blamed for these incidents. They seemed to think that something is pissing off these white males. My response was that it cold be the perceived persecution for being born with white skin and a penis might have pissed them off too.

Taking this in mind, we could also correlate the rise of these incidents with the rise of radical feminism that blames men for all the evils of the world.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Toxic white males caused this, well color me blind.... Could you please link me to that conversation?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

This post is hilarious and demonstrates exactly why some people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer - need alone a weapon.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
As I said, the problem is deep-rooted.

And despite being more connected than ever because of the internet -- we, as a people, aren't connecting. People don't know how to communicate anymore with others. No one actually listens to anyone else. Watch two people talk sometime. What you'll see is one person talking, and the other person thinking about what they're going to say next.

When people don't feel heard, feel unimportant, forgotten about, mistreated, and powerless -- what else do they have to loose?

It's something deep within the psyche of the nation itself. It's not one singular thing, but an entire toxic stew of things. Our entire value system (what we value, and in what order) is screwed up. We're constantly chasing our tails trying to grab a slice of the "good life" shown to us on TV...a reality that very few will ever be able to have.

In a society that values "instant gratification" shooting 30+ people to get noticed seems pretty "instant".

Our culture and society in America is treating its people more and more like machines/robots instead of actual invididuals with wants, needs, hopes and dreams. We've diminished the importance of the individual, and elevated the importance of social status -- while simultaneously making it harder to attain social status through record income inequality.

And no one seems to think maybe that, right there, might be a contributing factor? The middle class is evaporating, and we're still pushed and being sold on what it means to be successful as "middle class". We're having something taken away from underneath us, while being programmed to want that very thing.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
I'm confused and logging off.

Probably for the best considering.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Mentally ill people have God given and constitutional rights too. Those that have not committed a crime should not have their rights "taken away".

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Toxic white males caused this, well color me blind.... Could you please link me to that conversation?

It wasn't here, it was on the dreaded Facebook. LOL

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

When people don't feel heard, feel unimportant, forgotten about, mistreated, and powerless -- what else do they have to loose?

Another question would be why do others have to lose their lives just because one feels they have lost or are lost?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
Mentally ill people have God given and constitutional rights too. Those that have not committed a crime should not have their rights "taken away".

Ok that's true only case by case you have to admit as far as gun ownership. I think you're broad brushing it to protect a specific right.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It wasn't here, it was on the dreaded Facebook. LOL

This place is not looking any better than facebook ,in fact if things don't change soon this site will be worse.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Of course it's always a single cause. "The guns!" or "The pills!" or "Toxic masculinity!"

Why does everything have to be so black and white with people? As I said, we are treating others and ourselves more and more like machines, and this dehumanizing aspect of our society is taking its toll.

Monochromatic reasoning
A divide and conquer legacy
Dissect and over-simplify
All hail the death of compromise

The world isn't rendered in black and white
Other shades lie between
Don't view the world with binary eyes
We are human, not machine

-Assemblage23, "Binary"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>