It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns & Mental Health Debate HERE .

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Another problem is that this guy had 1600 rounds of ammunition,perhaps stricter control here is needed.

If your not allowed as much rounds as you want, how are you going to protect yourself from a tyranical government?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

These nut jobs KNEW no one would be carrying in church. What cowards!!!! Had just one person had their gun, dude been dead upon entering the church or perhaps before he entered..definitely wouldn't have been as many casualties.

I don't think Jesus would want them to kill anyone. Look at what they did to him. He didn't even fight it.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
If your not allowed as much rounds as you want, how are you going to protect yourself from a tyranical government?

Most of the people that seem to chime in on gun violence ignore the whole self-defense against a better armed enemy part. Not just a tyranical government but even a foreign or rogue military.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: TheJesuit

Ok - so - who is going to do the testing and regulation if not the government?

Shot yourself in the leg there.

I think a group of peer gun owners would be fitting.

Police your own.. None shine brighter than those we bring in under our own flame.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
My question is ''why?''. Why debate the gun issue. Why not a discussion. The gun debate will solve nothing as either side of that debate is intractable. It has been debated, and argued TO DEATH.. That ''debate' is over and done. It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir in-visa-bule. This,,, is a dead,,,,debate.

To be be a debate, both sides must present their points with agreed upon parameters and contexts. To be a debate, either side or an agreed upon third party must have the capacity and knowledge of those parameters and contexts to
acknowledge the superior presentation.

We have none of that here. Not just this thread, but all of ATS. All we have is a forum for argument or discussion.
And that is our choice. Do we argue it or discuss it.

Arguing it is easy.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
1600 rounds is nothing.

Wouldn't even fill up the bottom of a closet.

Might last a couple days plinking.

Depending on the shooter.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Honestly is seems to be a shame that people still use violence to subjugate. Mankind has learned nothing in it's multiple millennia of existence.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm confused and logging off..

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

originally posted by: TheJesuit
Im all for guns but with proper training and proper vetting at all levels the original 2nd amendment was issued for personal protection against any tyranny individual or governmental and also going to get dinner too.

Bring your discussion over here please

Thanks.

The second was originally made so the feds could conscript the individual. We had no standing army under the constitution

If it wasn't for those pesky commas in the second that clarifies (and denies what you stated)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: TheJesuit

Who does the "vetting"?

Ask Trump. I'm beginning to think that's why he's in office... just another nudge for the globalists.

Only beginning, where have you been?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

Another problem is that this guy had 1600 rounds of ammunition,perhaps stricter control here is needed.

How will your guns protect you from a tyrannical government who use tanks and remote control drones?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

1600 rounds if your in a well regulated militia,speaking of which there was one today on 4chan saying the counter revolution starts on the tenth of this month,you might just get your second amendment yet,I tried to post it but the filters here are a bit touchy

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I just realized I should have put my post about this here, instead of the mudpit thread where it'll likely get overlooked. I really don't feel like retyping it...

The TLDR is that violent crime in America is at the lowest levels since the late 1970s, yet anti-depressant use is at an all time high. It's clear the two aren't related.

The issue is American culture. How we're treated, how we view ourselves, how we treat others, what we value ect. People are pissed off, trying to grab a slice of a fantasy promised them on TV -- a fantasy that's utter not attainable. We're disenfranchised, not listened to by our government and treated like robots by corporate overlords.

We have a sick fetish for material goods, and want everything "now!". Consumerism has gone astray through some kind of mutated and diseased form of capitalism.

Income inequality is at an all time high.

People feel more hopeless and powerless than ever.

Even though through the internet we're more connected, we're not connecting.

All of this is adding up to a wicked brew of pissed off, disillusioned people who don't see what they have to loose. It's causing people to snap. We're seeing the symptoms of our toxic American cultural value system manifest in these violent shootings.
edit on 6-11-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
I just realized I should have put my post about this here, instead of the mudpit thread where it'll likely get overlooked. I really don't feel like retyping it...

The TLDR is that violent crime in America is at the lowest levels since the late 1970s, yet anti-depressant use is at an all time high. It's clear the two aren't related.

The issue is American culture. How we're treated, how we view ourselves, how we treat others, what we value ect. People are pissed off, trying to grab a slice of a fantasy promised them on TV -- a fantasy that's utter not attainable. We're disenfranchised, not listened to by our government and treated like robots by corporate overlords.

We have a sick fetish for material goods, and want everything "now!". Consumerism has gone astray through some kind of mutated and diseased form of capitalism.

Income inequality is at an all time high.

People feel more hopeless and powerless than ever.

Even though through the internet we're more connected, we're not connecting.

All of this is adding up to a wicked brew of pissed off, disillusioned people who don't see what they have to loose. It's causing people to snap. We're seeing the symptoms of our toxic American cultural value system manifest in these violent shootings.

Nailed it.. I feel the same way.

However, I'm mentally stable enough to deal with LIFE rather than take LIFE because I can't deal with LIFE. A majority of lawful gun owners are the same.

No, your comment wasn't overlooked, it was relevant and valid, thanks.

edit on E30America/ChicagoMon, 06 Nov 2017 01:08:37 -060011amMondayth01am by EternalShadow because: add

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

It's cool man.

I hear what you're saying -- and I agree. The vast majority of people can/do deal with life on life's terms, but it's getting harder and harder each year. Excluding the Las Vegas guy, most of these shootings seem to be younger people I've noticed.

Part of me wonders if there's a correlation between the state of things and the despair/desolate outlook young people are facing?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
If you ban guns for people with mental issues it does not stop them from obtaining them through illegal ways , people who want a gun to do harm will get one anyway.

With the amount of firearms circulating in the US , even if these people will get banned there are thousand more ways they could obtain one.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

I hear this argument a lot.

I have no idea where to buy illegal weapons. I have no idea where to buy street drugs. I don't know any gang bangers, crack heads, ect.

I mean, what would I do? Google "How to buy illegal guns"? Drive into a low-income, crime ridden area and just kind of ask around? (and hope I don't get shot)

People make it seem like it's super easy for people who don't know any criminals to somehow find criminals to sell them illegal things. It seems to me you'd have to be pretty determined and do some research to find out how to get illegal guns if you're just an average Joe.

Edit to add: And if it's so easy to find illegal guns, maybe that's something we ought to look at and work on fixing?
edit on 6-11-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Lmao...What?!

edit on 6-11-2017 by Somethingsamiss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Nicely done.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Gun violence and mental health do not go hand in hand.

Claiming that they do only does two things, firstly it ignores the real cause of gun violence and secondly it adds to the stigma of mental health.

In the UK 1 in 4 people will experience a mental illness at some point in their life and our provision of mental health care is very poor right now. We treat individuals with mental illness with the same medication and many of the same therapies. However we do not have mass shootings every day and this is the same in the rest of Europe and the English speaking word.

So to claim that its mental illness and psychiatric pharmaceuticals that are creating this problem of daily mass shootings then cannot be true otherwise it would be replicated in other parts of the world.

The other major problem with this line of thinking is how it adds to the already debilitating stigma of mental illness.

So for all of those reasons I believe trying to pin mass shootings on mental illness is wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join