It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns & Mental Health Debate HERE .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Im all for guns but with proper training and proper vetting at all levels the original 2nd amendment was issued for personal protection against any tyranny individual or governmental and also going to get dinner too.

Bring your discussion over here please

Thanks.
edit on 5-11-2017 by TheJesuit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
There are over 200 mental illnesses psychiatry can diagnose you with obviously guns in the hands of manic depressants on ssri's or bipolar people is a bad idea,there are good schizophrenics and there are also ones that are serial killers,if you have post traumatic stress disorder from Afghanistan is that the same exclusion as someone with it from a car accident?

Its a giant can of worms but it can be overcome in Australia there is a questionaire you answer that identifies people whom you dont want to have a gun and if you pass you wait ten days so you cant kill anyone on the spur of the moment.

Another problem is that this guy had 1600 rounds of ammunition,perhaps stricter control here is needed.

Uh oh I discussed controls
Cue Charlton Heston and his cold dead hands.

Im sorry there never will be a solution in your country to this problem.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

Ok - so - who is going to do the testing and regulation if not the government?

Shot yourself in the leg there.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's about control. Or rather the perception of the lack thereof. It's really the only real reason a psychopath and/or sociopath kills.

That's all that is happening here. The successful psychopaths are taking more and more control and the failed psychopaths are going haywire as a result.

/end discussion

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Who does the "vetting"?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
No, we want to have the debate in the other thread.

"One in six Americans take some kind of psychiatric drugs — mostly antidepressants, researchers reported Monday."

The gun grabbers would love to use "mental illness" as an excuse to dismantle the 2A.

We are not willing to give up more of our 2A freedoms for perceived safety simply because someone else behaved badly.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Here’s the issue.

My wife is an ER physician in Texas.
She is at the fulcrum of crazy...

But what would you have her do?
Call the police and report her patients?
If she were to violate this most sacred of trusts it would undermine her ability to save lives...not to mention the hipaa violations..

The truth is sad but true: the human condition is one plagued by evil.
Whether that evil is diagnosable or not is another matter.

-Chris

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

There are US states that have three day wait on handguns. Though, according to this study here there's no statistical evidence to support that a wait period curbs violence(minus suicide).

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The mentally ill have the right to protect themselves too.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Regarding the Texas and Tennessee church shootings..

These nut jobs KNEW no one would be carrying in church. What cowards!!!! Had just one person had their gun, dude been dead upon entering the church or perhaps before he entered..definitely wouldn't have been as many casualties.

People who own guns NEED to be carrying every single time they walk out the door!!!!!

To even talk about gun control is idiotic imo. People kill people. Without the human finger, the gun wouldn't fire..point, blank, period.

We have NEVER had such a problem until recently.

WHY hasn't this always been a problem since there have always been guns? I grew up in the country. We had guns behind every door. I NEVER touched them unless I was asked to. We were taught RESPECT and definitely taught to respect guns.

My take on the root cause is this....

Way too many people on opioids and way too many on antidepressants. Seriously... Mental health has gotten worse in people because there is a pill for everything. After losing my son, my doctor felt as though I needed Zoloft. It may work for others but after one day of being on it, I was even more depressed..suicidal depressed. I stopped taking it changed doctors and was prescribed exercise. Damn if it didn't work. I came out of my depression and got fit at the same time.

People have different reactions to different drugs. It's out of hand. Depression and anxiety have root causes and a pill is not a cure. It only serves to mask the real issues.

Again... The problem isn't guns. The problem is drugs. They are making people nuts.

With all that said... I've decided I'm going this week to get my gun permit and shop for me a hand gun. I should have already done that. I'm a Realtor® and meet strangers to show them homes. I've never been worried and still not fearful but I'm definitely aware there is a HUGE problem with our society.

ETA: Even if laws change it won't change the fact people who go nutso will indeed find ways to get guns to kill.

We have to get to the ROOT of the problem and stop masking.. GUNS DONT KILL. PEOPLE KILL.
edit on 5-11-2017 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

You would not of stopped Las Vegas or Orlando but you may of stopped Aurora and Virginia tech if you had such measures,there will always be mass killings in a nation with over 300 million guns still that doesn't mean dont you try to minimise casualties.
edit on 5-11-2017 by khnum because: syntax

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Milkweed

But they are sometimes delusional, paranoid schizophrenia for instance..it's a giant can of worms, but some people probably shouldn't have access. At the other end of the spectrum some could be denied for little reason.
It's a pretty much next to impossible situation to deal with at this point.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ
Drugs contribute but there's a more basic and universally shared cause.

All people are animals and animals kill. Not all animals only kill for food and people are no different.

A person that will kill another will do so with or without guns. No need to punish everybody for the faults of the few.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Who does the "vetting"?

The Vets of course.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
Im all for guns but with proper training and proper vetting at all levels the original 2nd amendment was issued for personal protection against any tyranny individual or governmental and also going to get dinner too.

Thanks.

Why stop there?

Let's treat the first the same way, and then our right to vote.

Background checks, and PROPER TRAINING.

I mean what's the big deal with the FREE exercise of.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit

Thanks.

The second was originally made so the feds could conscript the individual. We had no standing army under the constitution

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

No.

The second was created to secure the RIGHT of the STATES to have militias,

The RIGHT of the people to keep and bear arms.

As both were necessary to the security of a FREE state.

The second was ANTI FEDERAL.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Currently there is no mechanism in place to denote a persons mental health that would disqualify them from purchasing / owning a firearm. A person who was adjudicated on mental health grounds will have that information show up in their criminal history.

However criminal history checks are restricted in terms of who can request / get access to one and it requires a justification for making the request meaning its essentially restricted to law enforcement. Disclosing a criminal history to someone who doesnt have access / need to see it is a crime.

A few options exist that might help but in wont prevent all mass shootings -

* - create a separate federal database that holds only information that would disqualify someone from owning / purchasing a firearm. Any time a person is run the database would get a hit and would only show the persons is disqualified from owning / possessing one.

Since people are leery on federal government and their databases another option would be:

* - to have each state create a database with said information and allow that info to be "returned" if the persons name is run through and state or federal law enforcement system.

Some states already do this for CCW holders. They attach that information to their drivers license and have something on the physical license to denote they are a ccw holder. When a person is run it lets dispatch / the officer know the person is a lawful ccw holder. This could be adapted along mental health lines by noting in the system the person is not allowed to posses / purchase a firearm.

These ideas would have t be folded into the federal system in order to allow law enforcement / federal agents / FFL holders / people who sell firearms access to the information (as appropriate).

Because mental health is not a criminal problem (medical) caution has to be taken to make sure the info is not weaponized so to speak. Also in most if not all states only people who are adjudicated (found to have a mental issue by a doctor and ruled on by a judge) are the only ones where the info goes on their criminal history. Those who are suicidal / homicidal who cooperate with medical services who are not forced by a doctor / judge to undergo mental health treatment will not have the info listed on their records.

Just some ideas...

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Who does the "vetting"?

Ask Trump. I'm beginning to think that's why he's in office... just another nudge for the globalists.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join