It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone thought of building a massive particle accelrator around entire Earth??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Anyone thought of building a massive particle accelrator around entire Earth??

imsure we could use it as a weapon shoot asteroids or aliens lol, in fact why stop at Earth we could do the other planets too and ring them few times an have a massive solar defnce system in operation?

[edit on 12-2-2005 by Blobby 2]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I remember the largest particle accelerator was proposed some years ago in the heart of Texas but ultimately it was canned not because of it's hefty price tag but it's sheer pointlessness(sp?). We're better off spending that money to do something more productive with out funds, like fighting the War on Terrorism.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Only thing we need now is a Generals-style Particle Cannon right?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
um CERN is one thats huge but one around the planet is way too complicated and expensive to build.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Waht do you mean we could use it to shoot down aliens or asteroids? As soon as the Anti-matter comes into contact with matter it will explode. Even if it comes into contact with air.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
You couldnt do it around the entire earth. There are oceans, remember?

the constantly shifting seas would make construction very unrealistic, including teh shear size of it. One nation alone could not do this, and as of this point, we have more pressing isssues, as Simulacra said.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It would be cool to have one if it looked like that halo thingy,
but construction and price would be astronomical, maybe a huge cannon on the moon would do a similar job, im sure that would be cheap

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Just a wild guess, wouldn't it be funny if HAARP and the SDI - you know, that weapons system that was on the news constantly during the Reagan and Gorbachev days and was named the 'star wars program'? - were designed for exactly those sorts of things - shooting down an approaching projectile for example.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Whos to say that the U.S dosn't have a particle cannon in place already?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The European scientific institute CERN has the worlds biggest particle accelerator at 27km in circumference, but I'm not sure if it's operational yet. Building one around the world is just silly though. no offence.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
i dont think we have the technology to build an accelerator that size. Besdies the costs invlved would be HUGE. not to metion having to deal with water, plate tetonics and digging

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
There's another thing... the necessary energy to make it work would be huge... I don't think it's realistic... also, for science it's too big, not necessary, and it's way too unuseful as a defensive weapon... have we ever have to make front to an outside attack? I don't think aliens will come to invade us, and well, we can vary the meteor orbit with nuclear weapons... it would be like throw the money to the trash!

top topics

join