It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Church Shooting : Thread

page: 62
<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: dragonridr

Hasn't been 5 years - 2013 or 2014

Texas denied a carry permit.

Looks like the feds screwed up there is even one.

The 1968 Gun Control Act made it unlawful for a licensed firearms dealer to sell a weapon to a person with a dishonorable discharge or for such a person "to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce."

This means if the feds screwed up they actually violated two of their laws.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: soberbacchus

No. I am pretty sure that we all acknowledge he shouldn't have been able to legally buy a gun, but we also say that the laws we had were improperly applied somewhere along the way. So adding new ones isn't going to fix an issue with properly applying the laws we have.

In the past month we had Las Vegas (The biggest mass murder in US history)
Now Sutherland (the biggest mass murder in TX History)
Sandy Hook Elementary in Newton? (20 Children) San Bernadino? Pulse nightclub in Orlando? (49 killed), Aurora Theater Shooting?

Not calling for a ban, but can anyone of the NRA crowd offer an explanation as to why ARs are the weapon of choice for mass murderers?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Its pretty sad to see in this thread that some have decided to resort to the false race/religion nonsense.
This is part of the way they try to divide us,and it is bull feces in my opinion.

We all bleed red blood,and are all brothers and sisters on this rock in space.

F*cK the engineered HATE,we are all one family really.

My brother is a sunni muslim,who hates ISIS.
My sister is a Hindu,who loves all our creation.

In my hand is an 80lb bow,which I love to use to shoot at tree stumps for fun,but if someone comes into my house to kill me...

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: dragonridr

Hasn't been 5 years - 2013 or 2014

Texas denied a carry permit.

Looks like the feds screwed up there is even one.

This means if the feds screwed up they actually violated two of their laws.

It's possible the feds screwed up, but it is also possible the sporting goods store that sold him the gun(s) screwed up.

One question to ask is what was the basis of TX denying the concealed carry permit?

His Discharge would have been in the Fed Database (NICS) if it exists in a database.
One would imagine it would flag a second time for a gun purchase.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Because they look scary.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
My guess would be that it’s the most recognized from constant pictures on the news and it’s use in movies. Whenever politicians use a firearm or replica they choose the AR. There’s so many semi autos that are equally devastating but the AR and the AK are the most recognized. Whenever we see pics of terrorists they’re carrying AK47’s. I just watched the movie Scarface that was made in the 80’s and he used an AR for that famous scene at the end of the movie. People that I know that have been in the military prefer the AR because that’s what they trained with. I just picked one up this summer and I must admit it’s a pleasant firearm to shoot. It’s dead accurate at 100 yards and easy to clean.
edit on 6-11-2017 by chefc14 because: Misspelling

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

A spokesman on TV news said it might be because of two different processes. So there may be a threshold level issue in play. How some piece of information is categorized.
edit on 11/6/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Not sure. How about we call GM and figure out why all the cars they produce get in accidents. Oh, that's right. It is not the car it is the person driving like it is the person shooting.

There is not ONE person I know who is either a gun advocate, owner or NRA member who would think what this sick person did. He was on the radar. He had beaten an ex-wife and an infant child and cracked his skull. He had a protective order in multiple states against him. He was suspected of animal cruelty. This is someone, like so many others, who chose a gun to kill those he hated.

WTF does that have to do with the NRA? Now on to your question....

As far as why AR's it is because they are easy to fire, easy to load and easy to modify. An AR is nothing but a cosmetic application to a regular 'rifle'. Usually a 5.56 round but you can also get the AR look from a 22LR. You can buy a gun that 'looks' like an assault weapon in 22LR for about 300.00 bucks. 5.56 around 500.00.

Holmes was the first I can think of in the modern mass shooting era to use it. Extended Magazine handguns are usually found with them also.

edit on Novpm30pmf0000002017-11-06T17:12:13-06:000513 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

It's possible the feds screwed up, but it is also possible the sporting goods store that sold him the gun(s) screwed up.

Just saw this:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Thanks for that.

Hopefully some accountability and fixes occur.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Also...Why was he denied a CC Permit?
And why wouldn't whatever flagged that also flag his background check?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
And I just got out of doing my PTSD Therapy...

My heart goes out to those affected by this latest tragedy!

Tinfoil hat:
Kinda making me wonder if this was because the narrative to the LV shooting on the MSM was getting to convoluted?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

That is the most god damned infuriating thing I have ever read.

Thanks for letting us down.

How many more?! It's time for a top to bottom review of the military justice system.

I can bet you anything that this isn't the only case. Where there's one, like roaches, there's many more.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

originally posted by: ketsuko

No. I am pretty sure that we all acknowledge he shouldn't have been able to legally buy a gun, but we also say that the laws we had were improperly applied somewhere along the way. So adding new ones isn't going to fix an issue with properly applying the laws we have.

In the past month we had Las Vegas (The biggest mass murder in US history)
Now Sutherland (the biggest mass murder in TX History)
Sandy Hook Elementary in Newton? (20 Children) San Bernadino? Pulse nightclub in Orlando? (49 killed), Aurora Theater Shooting?

Not calling for a ban, but can anyone of the NRA crowd offer an explanation as to why ARs are the weapon of choice for mass murderers?

NRA crowd? You don't have to be an NRA affiliate or a member to answer this question. Hopefully, you're not already biased going into the question.

I can only speculate on why they may be the weapon of choice.

For one, the clip: The clips for ar-15's can range all the way up to 100 rounds. That's a lotta ammo before needing to change clips.

For two, the rounds themselves: A typical load for the AR is .223 (22 caliber) or 5.56mm (the original M-16 round introduced in the 1950's). They are lightweight, fast and flat shooting...if you're unfamiliar with what I mean by flat shooting, to shoot flat means to not have a ballistic drop-off the further the bullet travels...yet susceptible to wind and atmospheric conditions more so than a heavier round.

For three, the recoil: An AR's recoil is significantly less than say, for instance, an AK for a lot of reasons, the least of which not being less gunpowder in the casing of the round.

For four, as someone mentioned it looks scary or very military: Part of terrorism is, in fact, creating a sense of dread.

For five, maintenance: AR's are very easy to maintain, easy to break down, and rarely falter...especially if you've been in the service...getting at those delta rings becomes second nature.

Those would be a few reasons I could speculate on.

edit on 6-11-2017 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Stopped him how? After he shot literally every person in the church? Brave of the guy to shoot him after the fact, but if you are trying to make a point how having a gun somehow saved the day, you are failing badly.

Unfortunate that the neighbor with a gun did not get there sooner to stop the shooter

Still in confronting him made him drop the weapon and flee - other wise might have continued on rampage

Has several other weapons in car as he ran

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

It has nothing to do with any of that.

It's the most popular rifle in America.

If 1000 people threw coffee shop cups at you 990 of them would be from Starbucks.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

It has nothing to do with any of that.

It's the most popular rifle in America.

If 1000 people threw coffee shop cups at you 990 of them would be from Starbucks.

That's nonsense....don't be combative just because you think you can.

Starbucks LOL, far more people go to dunkin donuts and krispy Kreme than starbucks, so get your analogies straight if you would.

Secondly, while the AR is the most popular RIFLE, that doesn't automatically make it a perfect fit to his question.... a Thompson/ Center arms muzzle loader is the 5th most popular and a Remington 800 shotgun is the 2nd most popular....there are actual factors that make it a good choice...the most POPULAR gun in America is the 1911, but you don't see people mass murdering with one of those either.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

That's nonsense

No it isn't. It is by far the most popular platform of rifle made and sold in the US. There are millions of them in circulation.

He could have bought a Ruger Ranch Rifle and done as much damage.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. This isn't the gun's fault. The ultimate blame lies with the shooter. But the ultimate enabler was the United States Air Force who decided to shirk their responsibility, FOR YEARS, to report his dishonorable discharge to the NICS system as required by law.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Just saw this:

I do not have the words... I am already upset with the USAF for a number of reasons but this... there is no excuse.

Anyone want to wager they will find an enlisted person to throw under the bus for this.

Welp what 80-90 pages of arguing the cause and gun control, and new gun laws... and the problem was some turd nonner couldn't do their bloody job correctly.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

You expect better from our best and brightest.

Then some lazy garbage like this happens, people get hurt, and some officer blames an airman for it and the # rolls down hill. They hand out article 15s and maybe even prosecute a clerk somewhere and nothing changes.

new topics

top topics

<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join