It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words that just iritate the hell out of you.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I wonder if they had actual cases of people being in danger because they were confused, or if someone was worried over nothing.

Perhaps, or they wanted to ensure a safe space, PC kind of thing?

Why are so many posting everywhere online using the wrong ones? I do love that the kids can listen to something on television, and notice the bad usage for what it is.

When I came to Australia I was 4 years old, had to learn English fast. At the age of 5 I was also enrolled in Greek School as my primary Greek education was interrupted. We've succeeded in ensuring our children learn't correct English. You're doing a fantastic job home schooling.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

It still irritates me no end. ( I think that sentence is incorrect grammatically )

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

"hold on luv, I just got to put my tod in the buggy"
"Hey guv, how about we go over for a pint"

You Brits are awesome - just don't send too many more down under. On second thoughts's, we need more. We have been bought out by the Chinese.

Speaking of pints - we still have schooners in pub's

wiki

in other Australian states "schooner" traditionally refers to a glass of 425 mL (15 imp. fl. oz., or three-quarters of an imperial pint, pre-metrication). It is the most common size in New South Wales, Queensland and the Northern Territory, although not unknown in other states.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I need to utilize an extra tab for word spelling often, memory being what it is; it is what it is!

I use ATS every day day

Anytime and every time or everyday I see your post's they bring a smile to my face.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: EdwardDrake

Is it a southern thing, maybe?

"Is it maybe a southern thing?" would be the better way of phrasing the sentence.

Or is it "is it a southern thing";maybe is redundant.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Thought of something else, but it's regional US dialect stuff.

"Pop" drives me bats# crazy, it's one in particular I want to see DIAF as a reference to carbonated beverages. In the south, like in FL where I grew up, any carbonated beverage is a "coke", whether or not it's a Sprite or an RC, Mountain Dew or Pepsi, or an actual Coca-Cola product.

I'll call it soda here in MI when we're running errands and stop to eat, but I still call it coke at home. But I can't say pop when I order a drink, & I bite my tongue every time a cashier or waitress asks if I'd like water, coffee, or pop with my meal

Do I want a pop? How about I pop y....never mind.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Poppycock!

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I wish they putt the coke back in coke. Haven't drunk the stuff in a while. Pepsi lover.

Lets do a fatwa on all pop that doesn't have cola or caffeine in it.

en.wikipedia.org...

On September 11th, 1951, an Egyptian newspaper, al-Ahram published a fatwa on whether or not the consumption of Coca-Cola and Pepsi were allowed under Islamic Law. The mufti, or Islamic judge, Hasanayn al-Makhluf was the individual who ruled on this matter.[1] The reason that this was investigated under Islamic law was because of rumors and conspiracies spreading among the public about these soda pop brands. One of these conspiracies was that the Coca-Cola logo reflected in a mirror spelled out "No Mohammed no Mecca" in Arabic.[2]

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yes, indeed, the proper

"indeed" or "yes" is redundant

hehehe...you did do it

wiki

indeed ɪnˈdiːd/Submit adverb 1. used to emphasize a statement or response confirming something already suggested. "it was not expected to last long, and indeed it took less than three weeks" synonyms: as expected, to be sure, in fact, in point of fact, as a matter of fact, in truth, truly, actually, really, in reality, as it happens/happened, certainly, surely, for sure, undeniably, veritably, nay, if truth be told, you could say; More 2. used to introduce a further and stronger or more surprising point. "the idea is attractive to many men and indeed to many women"

Egads, I did! Now I have to smack myself!!

Oops!!!

More for emphasis, really, of course, as one might say, "nothing, nada, sip, zilch", or something of that sort.

I do use "indeed", though, which some say they don't like, and "methinks" now and then, and other somewhat archaic phrases. I just like them!

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I wonder if they had actual cases of people being in danger because they were confused, or if someone was worried over nothing.

Perhaps, or they wanted to ensure a safe space, PC kind of thing?

Way back then, even? Oye!

Why are so many posting everywhere online using the wrong ones? I do love that the kids can listen to something on television, and notice the bad usage for what it is.

When I came to Australia I was 4 years old, had to learn English fast. At the age of 5 I was also enrolled in Greek School as my primary Greek education was interrupted. We've succeeded in ensuring our children learn't correct English. You're doing a fantastic job home schooling.

Appreciated, and we do try! They do learn a lot, and read well ahead of their level. Always have. They actually like history. They are well behaved, too, which is amazing these days. Naturally modest, no foul language (and will fuss at me for my occasional usage), and they even do chores! Not perfect, of course - they are teens, after all! - but good kids.

Greek, at five! Nice!! Wish I'd had a chance to learn another language young! I'd have preferred German, I think, with some of my heritage from that stock, or Gaelic, maybe, for the Scottish genes.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   

It still irritates me no end. ( I think that sentence is incorrect grammatically )

Yes, "to no end" would be correct.

Bad grammar and usage irritate me all the time! Worst is when someone is speaking for a while, such as on a show when a person recounts some story or other, like the ghost shows, and the person is speaking perfectly, then tosses in some poor usage, that they had correct earlier! It's as if they plan to speak poorly, for some reason!!

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   

I think "no end" is intended to mean "infinitely".

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
"Gubernatorial".

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   

*to no end.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence
But what are people actually intending to say by "irritates me no end"? Are they truly regretting the lack of purpose in their irritation? Or isn't the real thought in their minds "This irritates me A LOT"?
That's why I still prefer the theory that "no end" carries the meaning "without limit", "infinitely".

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Discombobulate

"honestly"

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   
The word so when it begins the answer to a question.

It is the most widespread, most moronic meme currently infecting the English language, and it irritates the # out of me.

I've done a thread on it. I've attacked people in the street. I'm having therapy.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Discombobulate

"honestly"

For a good few years I worked with a really good mate of mine fitting kitchen and bathrooms, building custum wardrobes, anything that came up really. He was a fantastic chippy and builder but not too academic and for some reason he got it into his head that discomvobulate meant to dissasemble or out.

This was fine with regular customers who had never heard of the word and it kind of made him sound clever but a lot of our customers were well educated wealthy types. It was hilarious to see his say "well we'll just discombobulate theis old kitchen and get the new one in" and see the look on thier face as they looked at me in bemusement.

I would always tell the customer that he had the meanng wrong and we would have a laugh about it never letting him know. A lot of the customers would take it further and start using it themselves which only encouraged him to use it even more.

After we went our seperate ways I told him the truth and what the word really meant when we were drunk and the look on his face when he realised how many people he had said it to was priceless.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
My mother had a similar blind-spot about "hiatus".The word actually means "a gap". The United States is currently experiencing a hiatus in Presidential electioneering.
My mother used it for moments of crisis and drama. The other morning, a driver carelessly crashed into a parked vehicle near my house. She would have called that event a "hiatus". I'm not sure how she got to that meaning, but I think it was vaguely onomatopoeic.
My father used to try to explain what the word really meant, so she continued using it in her own way with the additional motive of irritating him.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join