It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: only ground invasion can destroy North Korean nuclear program

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

originally posted by: Ohanka

Alternatively you could talk to them and reach compromises, since the threat of US invasion is what has spurred this WMD program to begin with.

The more America plays hardball with Korea the more they will work on their missiles and nuclear weapons. A child could see this.

I am not saying I want an invasion but we have been talking to them since Clinton at least, possibly earlier and it did not help the situation, in fact it can be argued that it facilitated the current problems.

IRISHAF: Ohanka must be younger than us. We've been talking to them since the 1950's. Ever see the show "MASH"? It took place in Korea...in the 50's, 60's, 70's.

War and casualties non-stop...until we went into a "truce' and created the De-militarized zone. This was the FIFTIES-SIXTIES. Along the way they even captured one of our Naval ships the Pueblo, held the sailors hostages...and we were talking then...and again, and again. 50's,60's 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's and into the Millenium.

We've BEEN "talking" to Grandpa Kim, then Daddy Kim and now Dear Leader Baby Kim. Been a long time and it doesnt do any good. I'd say about 60 or so years is enough "talking".

edit on 5-11-2017 by mysterioustranger because: spl

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

*See my reply to IRISHAF above.....
edit on 5-11-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

i dont care what every one say the bottom line is you let them have the nukes and live with it or you spend another 5 .10 or 15 years talking crap with them again and they end up with better nukes that no one can stop or we go in now and end it all and that is the bottom line of it all ..........

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Retired Army Colonel tells Republicans who want Trump to attack North Korea they can ‘suit up’ and join the military
www.rawstory.com...

K~

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
i think murica has proven it doesnt need to invade to destroy a country

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Have they all lost their minds? Have they all forgotten Vietnam???

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

We've BEEN "talking" to Grandpa Kim, then Daddy Kim and now Dear Leader Baby Kim. Been a long time and it doesnt do any good. I'd say about 60 or so years is enough "talking".

So both sides have been talking hot air and fear-mongering for 60 years? Maybe it's time to stop talking? And do nothing, just to be clear! Until I bathe in the glow of a thermo-nuclear detonation while smoking my last cigarette I will assume that I am still going to wake up tomorrow and no amount of TV will change that.

Disclosure: I don't have a TV or a thermo-nuclear device.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

Yes ... the americans have their frikking laser beams...but...
You're outnumbered by the get go.
You're not fighting a couple of hundred thousand NK ... you will have kill a couple of million before you put a significant dent in NK 'people's' army.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
So a couple thoughts on the subject...

1. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but "Damn you, Bush!" Now before anyone gets worked up over that, hear me out. ... Sadly, In our time (I'm 54 and conservative) there probably has never been a more worthy candidate to declare a true "War" against than NK is right now. However, we've been screwing around in Asskrackistan and Iraq, spending trillions of dollars, for nothing for nearly 20 years now. Brave service persons have given their lives for these worthless conflicts, and the public is tired of them. (I was tired of them 10 years ago). That's all water under the bridge now, but the futility of those efforts has desensitized the general public to what a "war" truly is, what it means and why they exist. We now have nearly a whole generation who think wars are like a Call of Duty video game, and become incensed when people actually die. They have been conditioned by the education systems and by the MSM to believe war exists only to further the elite's bank accounts. The minute someone starts talking about sending troops to NK there will be a worldwide uproar as a result.

2. It is a sad fact, wars result in massive destruction and death...and lots of it too. However, if we look back upon history, back before Viet Nam, back before the Korean conflict we have WWII. Only a fool would argue WWII was all for not, that it had no merit. If you look back at the mindset at the outset of WWII, people really didn't know who would win and who would lose, but there was no other choice...it was a matter of life and freedom or death. There was no other option.

Now, we have NK. There is no debate they are developing WMD's (unlike Iraq). In fact, they've had WMD's in the form of chemical weapons for decades. There is no debate NK is threatening to use them, threatening to destroy everything within 5,000 miles of NK, including South Korea, Japan, the Pacific theater and even the United States if they can pull it off. They've made this clear. Their form of government is the most sinister and evil of all, and western society could never live under such rule. They are a true "enemy".

Real "wars" aren't like Iraq and Asskrackistan where nobody fights back (or when they do it's only 50 at a time). Real wars aren't like Viet Nam where when the going gets tough you just pack up and leave. To a certain extent the same holds true for Korea, shore up the front lines...then leave. NK is different, and NK will be different. It will always be different.

We shouldn't look at NK like it's another Iraq, where we will decimate their air power in hours or days, and where their entire country will surrender en-masse within a couple of months. No, NK is different. NK has a millions strong military machine, they've been indoctrinated since birth to fight...and they will fight. But, do we as western civilization have any other choice? Over the past 25 years NK has proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that diplomacy with them simply does...not...work! And it never will. The only thing NK will understand is defeat...IF they can be defeated without destroying half the world first. But again, is there really any other viable choice?

The situation in NK is only going to get worse, and sadly in order to correct this people might have to die. Soldiers. Will it be easy? No, no it won't. Will it be quick? Most likely not. Will soldiers die? Sadly, yes...and probably civilians too, possibly even millions (as hard as this is to even comprehend, let alone stomach), BUT...

Has NK really left any other choice?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Nukes are so 20th century.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I have long maintained that conventional warfare is not possible in the shadow of nuclear weapons. I've long cited the Korean conflict and Viet Nam after it (along with Bosnia, Iraq, Asskrackistan and others) as examples of this. I have hoped all my life that no one would ever play this card, that no one would ever dare the World into a fight with a sword in one hand and a thermonuclear warhead in the other. Unfortunately, this is just exactly what NK has done, they have threatened the very existence of all of HUMANITY with nuclear weapons, and sadly now they must be exterminated once and for all. NK hasn't put up nukes as a deterrent, they've openly stated they have every intention of using them as an offensive weapon. NK can no longer be allowed to exist.

No matter how painful it is, NK must be crushed and all traces of their form of government erased for all time. I'm sorry, I'm sorry for future generations, but it's the only way.

edit on 11/5/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daalder
a reply to: elementalgrove

Yes ... the americans have their frikking laser beams...but...
You're outnumbered by the get go.
You're not fighting a couple of hundred thousand NK ... you will have kill a couple of million before you put a significant dent in NK 'people's' army.

Aye I was being facetious, I am against our military doing anything other than diplomatically trying to make right the crimes that we committed in the Korean war.

We already killed millions, resulting in the NK regime, they have the right to defend themselves.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Alternatively you could talk to them and reach compromises, since the threat of US invasion is what has spurred this WMD program to begin with.

The more America plays hardball with Korea the more they will work on their missiles and nuclear weapons. A child could see this.

The only reason for nations without the a bomb to get the a bomb is not to be treated as little school childs anymore, but want to be taken serious by the other a bomb nations.

Nations without the a bomb are susceptible to blackmail, by the other a bomb nations.
They a bomb nations are like the school bullies, without enough IQ to not take a sh*t on the own floor, but big, muscular and bad enough to bully those that aren´t strong and muscular enough to defend themselves.

So the tortured souls have to build up muscles, have to get the a bomb, to not be bullied anymore.
To not get told anymore what´s wrong or right for the own nation, how to handle the own politics, the own people, told by the other a bomb nations.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

The troop numbers for the Iraq War were around 30% of what was recommended by Army chief General Shinseki. Considering what was done with the limited manpower. There has been a "golden ratio" of one troop per fifty people for an occupation force in order to establish stability. Germany after WW2 had these numbers as did the Balkan Wars of the 1990s. Afghanistan has similar numbers.

Also the major stock exchanges in the US are strong as is the dollar.

South Korea has a formidable military and double the population of North Korea. South Korea is positioned to play the bigger role in an occupation while the US would be more involved in the early invasion side of things it would seem.

Point being the US and S. Korea could do it. But N. Korea may get a couple nukes off, Been to two wars myself and not hoping for a third.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

That's all fine and good, specifically the use of nukes as a 'deterent', but this is not what NK is doing!

First of all, they are openly violating accepted worldwide international treaties prohibiting full blown nuclear bomb testing...and willfully defying not only China, but also Russia, the US and most importantly the UN.

Second, they have openly threatened to use nukes, without provocation, as an offensive, not defensive, weapon.

Thirdly, they have repeatedly defied sovereign airspace testing long range missiles capable of delivering nukes outside their borders as an open provocation to both international law as well as country's strictest warning not to do just this.

Those three things alone are enough to completely derail any notion NK is doing anything other than openly messaging their absolute intentions to wage nuclear war on the planet as soon as they are capable of doing so. Period.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Not really sure about that. When we went up against Iraq in Desert Shield / Storm we were led to believe that the mighty 4th largest army in the world would bloody our noses a bit and that didn't happen. They were steamrolled!
I watched the first gulf war on TV. I read the papers and what was said. That's because the Iraqi's threw down their arms. It was also a different terrain. NK has 5000 tanks and 9000 artilary guns with a million man army. You're not stopping that without boots on the ground. We won't be able to load smart bombs fast enough before they level the south. Any sign of a build up and theirs a chance the north will attack first. If they do that they have the upper hand. As someone else stated I wouldn't be surprised with Soul turned into another Stalingrad. Kim saw what happened to Saddam. If he's going to die he's going to throw everything he has at us. He also has enough chemical weapons to kill millions. He won't just hit the south he'll hit Japan also. During the first gulf war Bush warned Saddam not to use chemical weapons or we'd nuke him.
edit on 5-11-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I wouldn't be too worried about an armed insurgency considering the general population isn't allowed to own firearms (a favorite law of dictators everywhere), and even the Army isn't properly equipped.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

NK also has some serious logistical challenges moving all that armor and artillery through that very terrain. They know it too, and believe me...we know it. And without a viable blue water navy they can't protect their coasts nor predict where an attack will come from and move fast enough to prevent it (and you can bet it won't be from the direction of their heaviest fortifications). Cripple their ability to move, and then they're caught in their own crossfire. Air supremecy will be gained early, certainly over water. Inland, AAA and SAM sites are a serious threat in NK, no doubt about that, but when you own the sea and the sky above it you have a significant advantage. This all further leverages their need to be able to move on their own ground...which they can't really do, not effectively anyway.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Oh yeah....theyve liked playing this game....and they will keep it up. As they always have...and Im guessing like usual...nothing will be done. All long as he plays...so will we...and if we nuke em...he'll still get his attention. Either way.

It the Korean way-to-play.

Hopefully, Im wrong.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
I wouldn't be too worried about an armed insurgency considering the general population isn't allowed to own firearms (a favorite law of dictators everywhere), and even the Army isn't properly equipped.

I would reccon that there would be millions of guns in North Korean homes. Practically everyone serves in the millitary.

From Your own link:

North Korea, strictly prohibits the use, ownership, manufacture, or distribution of firearms by any citizen not serving in the military or special sectors of the government "executing official duties".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join