It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school in Minnesota requires English course aimed at eradicating white privilege

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

You led out with a sarcastic (I assumed sarcastic) “all inheritance should go to the state..”

And my response was “that is basically what happened to every African American before the last generation..”

Almost (and I mean 99.9999% ) No African American recieved any benefit of their fore father’s labors..

None.. and that’s a crap load of wealth..

All the best skilled laborer’s in the south would have been enslaved peoples..

All the best carpenters, chefs, seamstresses, blacksmiths exc..

Al of that didn’t get distributed evenly amongst all the white people .. it went to the aristocracy of the day, who happened to be white.

That doesn’t instantly correct itself because as a society we decided to stop being openly racist..

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

If you were being serious your just nuts lol..

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

My pleasure I detest propaganda.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Yes and no..

Yes there is declining support , but no it’s not due to this..

Each political side has sectors that normally donate to their party..

Most of the big corporate interests donate to the gop..

Thus if you ask a hard core democrat “all corporations are evil and must be destroyed!”

Most unions donate to the DNC.. and public school systems all have unions.

Thus the gop tells its supporters “ all unions are evil and must be destroyed!”

All the attacks on public schools have nothing to do with better education for our children..

It is a concerted effort by the gop to defund the democrat party.. that’s why they pretend the concept of a union is inherently corrupt, rather than X or Y union leaders were corrupt.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
so if im white i should just kill myself? how is this not racist? bunch of inbred morons.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JourneymanWelder

Maybe because your the only one who is saying if your white you should kill yourself???

Maybe???

Lol

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

No, that's what guilt makes you believe. You "had the grades", you are working, you state, on your fifth degree, but you couldn't possibly have been offered a job based on your own merits??? BS.

LOL 5 degrees.. Yeah good call.

Yeah, but apparently you can do that and still be a "dunce". No personal merits. I don't get that at all!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

but isnt the English language a white privilege or used to be !

schools are a joke these days and even when I was a kid they were a joke , the education system the world over should be ashamed.

When are we going to stop letting obvious sociopaths and psychopaths run our world ?

2017 the downfall of the cis white male

edit on 7-11-2017 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

OK. Tracking. Your vote stems from the slavery/loss of inheritance issue. Got It.

What is your plan to ensure an equitable recompense? How do we quantify exactly how much wealth was lost and to whom?

There were probably slaves back in the day who didn't generate much of anything, I'm sure the descendants of those slaves who did generate a significant amount want accountability.

I am assuming again, not from you but from others, the fund from which this financial amends would come from would be established/operated by the state. All inheritance from anyone who could not have possibly been a slave funds the project.

How do we guarantee, for the donors, the right amounts get to the right people? For every other Federal/State/Local dollar they hand out requires certain criteria. This would have to be no different.

Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
You can't claim that whites all have some advantage, based on skin color, then claim it's not enough for them, and some can still fail, while at the same time claiming that said imagined advantage is the reason that people of some other skin color can't succeed. It just doesn't work. People tend to succeed or fail based, mostly, on their own merits. Not always, of course, but that's how this nation works.

Sure I can, it's like this. Lets say the base rate is a 5% chance to become upper middle class or better. If you're white, that chance moves to 8%, if you're black it moves to 2%. Sure, anyone can succeed but statistically you're less likely to as a black person (or hispanic for that matter).

As far as defining success, not everyone wants to change the world. Many simply want a decent life for themselves and their families, and don't much concern themselves with "positive impact" as a measure of anything.

That's fine, that just means they don't desire success. Which is all the more reason they shouldn't try to get in the way of others succeeding.

Plus, some of what you list - popular opinions - is more a matter of judgment/wisdom than intelligence. Any gamer can tell you those aren't the same thing!

Popular opinions are popular because people see truth in them.

Now I am curious about the project.

The project takes an arbitrary pool of Magic the Gathering cards (anything from a couple cards to every card in the game), and attempts to figure out optimal deck configurations. I've tried an AI based approach that simulates enough games to build statistics based models, but that doesn't work well because certain cards require too many decisions, and as such have to be excluded from the pool, it also requires programming every individual card which is challenging (and time consuming with approximately 150 new cards made each month). It also requires rating cards against other cards, which is context sensitive. Though my rating system from the AI is being reused in my current approach, with a few tweaks.

The AI system failed because it was too labor intensive, of the decks it was able to play it actually was successfully able to identify new cards and optimal deck construction, but adding new cards proved to be too much work for me to be able to handle, and the inability to play many high impact, high decision tree cards basically doomed the project.

My current approach is to build a language processing system that can take a database of card text that can be batch updated, parse the words on the text for card actions, and then build a matrix rating each card against each other card based on the card text actions and the strategy you want to approach the game with (typically, the aggressor or the defender) and ignore simulations entirely.

Then take the resulting matrix and perform social network analysis on it to make groups of cards that naturally play well together. From there, I can take those groups as pseudo decks, rate the number of cards they have favored against other groups, make predictions at meta composition, and determine the optimal deck at any given time.

It's still a work in progress. You mentioned what gamers can tell you. I'm a gamer too, though I spend more time solving and/or developing games than actually playing them. Again, most people figure this all out intuitively and make their game decisions, I'm simply incapable of doing that.

You were able to earn four degrees, and are working on a fifth. Again, unless you are cheating, and I don't think you are cheating, then you have some merits, something to offer. Perhaps your chosen field simply doesn't match your skills? Don't sell yourself short, just because you were able to do more, thanks to having family money.

I didn't earn anything, I just sat through the classes. Some classes have been extremely difficult (more than once I've been brought to tears over having to accept that I'm too stupid to complete an assignment), other classes were easy... it varies by the major and the professor. Also 5 degrees is an exaggeration. 3 are Associates Degrees (web development, computer graphics, interactive digital technology) so they don't count, 1 was an easy Bachelors degree (computer science) so it barely counts, though it offers good job prospects. Then the other is the Bachelors I'm working on (game development), which is extremely difficult (it has a 4% graduation rate). So really, I say 5 but the true number is closer to 1 with a few other random distractions thrown in.

The point is, if someone does have a physical advantage, we don't punish them for that, and demand that someone less physical be allowed to take their place. Why do that for any other advantage?

Physical advantages are easier to build than mental ones, they're also less subtle. Anyone can develop a talent for a sport by playing it and exercising. Someone might not physically develop as much without access to a good personal trainer and a proper gym regimen but the talent can easily be developed and scouts see that. Basically, the physical aspect is secondary.

The issue with a mental advantage is that access to schools and teachers plays a big part. There's no barrier to entry on developing your ability to play ball, there's a big artificial barrier to entry in academics.

Well, certainly your decision. Adoption isn't a bad thing at all. Know someone who could not have children, who was able to adopt, after a very difficult process, and those kids are well loved!

I'll likely be single my whole life too, so I doubt adoption is in my future since it's very rare for single parents to be allowed to adopt.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Aazadan

The only plague in society I see in this thread is statements like your's claiming some sort of "high moral authority" as to why I shouldn't bequeath my children what is rightfully theirs.

In a rich country like Australia where we pay over 50% of our income in taxes, you want me to prop up a Govt that has no hesitation in raising taxes, fighting unjust wars overseas, donating $110 million to the Clinton Foundation, and then to further dilute my legacy by inheritance tax to balance their crooked books?

What makes it theirs? If you live in a society where we're supposed to be equals, why are your children more special than anyone else? That's just bias at work, and we should seek to remove bias from our lives.
edit on 7-11-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I think automation creates a need for a universal wage that makes reparations irrelevant.. but for fun..

My plan wouldn’t be Anything like you mentioned lol.

all black people wouldnt deserve reparations and all white peopke wouldn’t deserve to pay them..

only those who could track their ancestry to a still existing company in a direct line should be able to sue though.. a lot of the southern wealth acquired from slavery was lost in the civil war. So that check might not be as wide sweeping as one might think .

But I have zero doubt some of these 200 year old companies have a paper trail that could be followed..

I think realistically that’s all you could do..

HOWEVER, I think the real problem is the black/white narrative..

The fight over slavery and segregation wasn’t black vs white.. it was abolitionists vs slave owners, and racists vs non racists..

There is no reason why little white kids couldn’t grow up to wanting be the next MLK..

History is FULL of white civil rights leaders.. and I don’t doubt blacks that were pro slavery because it personally profited them.. at least in the short game.

In some cases they were more disgusted with slavery than the slaves were.. which isn’t surprising really..

If a stanger steals your wallet it’s one thing, but if someone you consider a friend steals it.. thems fightin words lol..

I think by benevolent design the white civil rights leaders chose to take a back seat. Thinking a black figureheads would enpower the disenfranchised..

However this just added to the inaccurate dynamic that it was black vs white..

Don’t get me wrong , the racist side was malevolently pushing the same thing, but the end result ends up in the same place..

With people assuming they are inherently on one side or the other and really we all get to choose..

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
only those who could track their ancestry to a still existing company in a direct line should be able to sue though.. a lot of the southern wealth acquired from slavery was lost in the civil war. So that check might not be as wide sweeping as one might think .

I'm not a fan of reparations. The idea is to make the person whole again, but doing so requires more than money in the current climate. It requires systemic change, both to black culture and to racist parts of American culture, to say nothing of socioeconomic issues. Then there's hispanics who don't do well either, but have a relatively wholesome culture full of a strong work ethic and devotion to family.

The fact that blacks and hispanics are in the same boat economically, despite having wildly different cultures makes me think that racial culture has the lowest impact, and that what does have impact is the attitudes of the culture in power with the ability to make changes.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I am strictly talking about slavery and measurable variables.. screw feelings..

Open institutional racism has ended..

Of course we still have all the subconscious aspects such as..

A) it’s easier to empathize with someone the more they look like you (likely your children really).

B) in low light situations dark skin make facial features harder to distinguish , and if the HUMAN brain can’t make out your facial features it veiws that person as a potential threat..

How many police shootings and justice system disparages are more easily attributed to those than kkk Plante serialkiller cops???

That said the conservative side has made a cottage industry of pretending like issues do not exist, rather than addressing them, and the liberal side is too lazy to explain the actual issue, instead just throwing “ black” in the title and feeling like “nailed it!”

Lol.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Should I find the decendants of some roman emperor and ask them for reparations for my celtic family taken from gaul
as slaves to the empire ?

how far back are we willing to go

humans have enslaved each other since we first made ropes to bind the hands and feet and first made wooden cages
slavery is a part of who we are.
The african / carribean slave trade, the triangle , as brutal as it is , it was the last major slavery crime against humanity.
As such it is still a major thorn in our side , the pain and suffering will be felt for generations. What we should be doing is educating everyone as to the reasons behind this organised slavery.
Its nothing but the first actions of corporate powers and material gain.

It is sad that it has happened to the people of Africa, but it has happened as long as we have written records and far before that also.

I spent a good deal of time reading about the involvement of the British empire in the slave trade, which led me to read about the roman slave trade, and was astonished to find that the british isles were sourcing grounds for both the roman empire and the raiding viking parties and have been for hundreds of years.
If you read further about slavery under the roman empire the figures are astonishing.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

If you can provide a direct line between your ancestor and a still existing Roman company, absolutely.. just as I said earlier..

If someone stole something your grandfather and you can prove it. The courts will likely give it to you today..

It’s the legal consideration of making someone whole.

Good luck with that though..

But with SOME African Americans that wouldn’t be hard to do..

It was less than 2 lifetimes ago..

There are countless organizations that old and paperwork to prove it..

I agree with the rest of what you said I think, but don’t see how it is relevant. I’m not making the emotional argument. I am makeong the measurable tangible dollar amount argument.

Previous instances of slavery are irrelevant because it would be literally impossible to prove any of it..

Few of any companies still survive and you have to have a defendant.. some one to sue.

And free if any records survive to provide ancestry and such.. so you wouldn’t even be able to prove it had been your great , great whatever.

With African Americans though, it was historically yesterday, companies still exist and some would be able to prove a paper trail..

—————————

HOWEVER!

people who were not at fault should not be paying.. people who were not wronged shouldn’t be paid..

And sadly that means if the family who owned you went broke, the company folded or you couldn’t prove your claim. Your screwed and that’s just about everyone lol.

Of course everyone has slaves and slaveholders in their heritage, but OBVIOUSLY the closer to the event will have more strongly felt reverberations..

Say we freed some fictional slave race today. How much compensation would be fair???

Full pay plus interest???

Full pay minus costs???

Nothing you dirty slaves are lucky to be free?

That’s just the minimum of what I think would be fair.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Average white guy's day.....

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
White privileged is such a joke. Off the top of my head I can think of more black millionaires than white ones..

You cant turn on the TV without seeing Steve Harvey. Where exactly is this fabled white privilege?

We even had a black POTUS for 8 years .

People need to stop blaming white people for their effing problems. Your problems are your problems and you have just as much a chance to get rich in this country as any one else.

Although I agree with you that anyone can rise above their disadvantages and become successful with hard work and right actions, I have to say that your description of white privilege is wrong.

White privilege just means that if you are a white male, you have a headstart in life. Some people use it some don't. As in any race, head starts sometimes don't mean anything but other times it's enough to give you the win.

What is this advantage? it's based on the phsycological fact that people like people who are like themselves...meaning that a white male hiring manager may be 5% more likely to hire a white male for a position he's filling.

Then you'll ask if there are really more white males in power in the world or at least the USA. The answer is yes. MOst CEOs are white, Most elected officials are white males. Congress is 80% white and 80% male. So there is an advantage to being a white male.

One thing that's not up for debate is the reverse. There is no disadvantage if being a white male. I've never seen it, never been up against it, never been discriminated against, or passed over for a position or promotion, never ever seen reverse discrimination or known a single human being that had a problem with it. That doesn't happen in the real world. What does happen is you're white and male and a black woman gets hired instead of you...then you can't admit to yourself that you suck at your job and are lazy and incompetent...that would bruise your fragile ego, so you have to find a reason for it...must be racism! Some people were born to play the victim card in life.

However I think it's important to point out that some people get a head start in life. We know how important a headstart can be. That's why a lot of pre kindergarten programs are called head start. It's only when we acknowledge an issue that we can start to address it and help people overcome it.

edit on 7-11-2017 by amazing because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2017 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

OK. Automation leads to a universal income for everyone. Reparations are fraught with fatal inconsistencies. It was slavery v. abolitionist instead of black v. white.

All good points. But what about laws prohibiting inheritance? That was the sum of my initial question.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

The American people never go for it..

I wouldn’t agree with it either..

Hell thats my main gripe with the ramifications of slavery...

Honestly I think absolutes are almost always bad.. and the government confiscating ALL inheritances is an absolute.

They should prob start taxing inheritances over X amount though.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join