It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school in Minnesota requires English course aimed at eradicating white privilege

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Then what do you do when there is a concerted effort to hold back a specific group of people??

An institutional effort where courts and cops won’t help???

Ain’t really no undoing it, but the fact that almost no African American recieved ANY benefit from their fore fathers labor is the main socioeconomic problem..

Institutional Racism as it was 50 years ago has ended , but it was only 50 years ago .. really way less.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Really, got a source?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

So... What do you do?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Then what do you do when there is a concerted effort to hold back a specific group of people??

Ain’t really no undoing it, but the fact that almost no African American recieved ANY benefit from their fore fathers labor is the main socioeconomic problem..

Institutional Racism as it was 50 years ago has ended , but it was only 50 years ago .. really way less.

The only institutional racism being promoted today in our college system is the to hate whitey!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

most people, regardless of skin color, do not receive anything from their parents when they pass on.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Really, got a source?

How about the millionaire statistic I posted earlier?

This site has a short video
squaredawayblog.bc.edu...

If you would prefer to read
www.cbsnews.com...

Here's the main takewaway from that article: But when the researchers broke it down by race, they found that 12.9 percent of Asians were millionaires, and 12.5 percent of whites. Hispanics and blacks? Only 1.4 percent and 1.3 percent, respectively.

The deck is stacked against black people, and hispanics too but no one ever cares about them.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab
most people, regardless of skin color, do not receive anything from their parents when they pass on.

Yes they do. Most people get a pittance and think it's a fortune. Furthermore, that pittance is something their parents saved for and hoped to pass on because they think it's creating generational wealth.

It's quite common. It's also quite pointless, and likely does more harm than good over both the parents and the childs life.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: notsure1
Well thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. We work hard so our kids can have a better life otherwise wtf is the point..

But if you accept that, then you're accepting that some people will be disadvantaged in life simply due to issues like who their parents were, or worse generational issues. A few posts ago you said that anyone can rise up, but now you're saying your children need a special competitive advantage over others.

Which is it?

What a crock! No one is "disadvantaged" because someone else worked hard, and left an inheritance to their children. Explain, in detail, how someone else having something means you can't have anything, or are held back? That's just BS. No, the government does NOT deserve what we earn, and what we leave for our children. WE earn it, and the government is there to work for us, not get rich off of our labor. What you propose is that people are slaves to the "State".

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

So being a millionaire is a result of white privilege?

Or is it a result of inheritance from parents?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

a reply to: JoshuaCox

So... What do you do?

Lower the barriers to entry on education and culture.
Make social policies that free people from the chance (in some cases a near certainty) of crippling debt.
Stop giving some people a massive head start in life through private schools (and others a massive road block through home schooling).
Give everyone adequete legal representation.
Fix workers rights to reduce income inequality.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

So being a millionaire is a result of white privilege?

Or is it a result of inheritance from parents?

There's many reasons one can be a millionaire. Some work hard. Some are playing a rigged game that they're likely to win. Others win without even playing the game.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
What a crock! No one is "disadvantaged" because someone else worked hard, and left an inheritance to their children. Explain, in detail, how someone else having something means you can't have anything, or are held back? That's just BS. No, the government does NOT deserve what we earn, and what we leave for our children. WE earn it, and the government is there to work for us, not get rich off of our labor. What you propose is that people are slaves to the "State".

Did you earn it though, or were you simply in the right place at the right time to collect on winnings that the system was rigged to give you?

When the system is rigged in your favor, how can you justify perpetuating the rigged system for your children?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Curious as to how you feel about hiring based on skin color since you brought up Meritocracy. Should a person NOT be hired because their race is dominating in a certain industry or specialty to make way for more diversity?

Society should ensure that anyone can succeed, that doesn't necessarily mean making diversity hires, but it does mean looking into lowering the barrier to entry on obtaining job training, and sometimes that means one group gets more help than another group, because they need more assistance.

When it comes to culture issues, I'm not sure how to address it. For example, despite a lot of outreach programs, the share of women in Computer Science continues to decline each year. That's something that I'm not sure how to fix, if it even should be fixed.

Now you are contradicting yourself.

You stated before -

Each generation should have to stand on it's own, no inheritance, no helping, no daddy giving someone a large "loan". You're born, you're raised, and you earn your position in life through your own merits.

So, how is one group needing "more assistance" them getting the job based on their own merits? Or, are you claiming that the State can help them, but their parents cannot? Not what you claimed before, either way. Plus, which groups do you believe need "more assistance"? Quite curious on that one.

As for that claimed inheritance, heck, if you don't want it, my family could sure use it.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Did you earn it though, or were you simply in the right place at the right time to collect on winnings that the system was rigged to give you?

When the system is rigged in your favor, how can you justify perpetuating the rigged system for your children?

Did I earn what, exactly? Anything from my parents, they earned, and had the right to pass along, thought here wasn't much of that. Whatever w earn, we damn well will pass to our children, and anyone that doesn't like that can go live in some country that isn't free, and be a serf, if they so choose. Nothing is "rigged" by parents being able to leave an inheritance to their children. Nothing is "rigged" in my favor, either. My family has always worked hard for what hey have had, through long generations. Some were able to go to college, many more were not, and I am beyond sick of hearing all of this utter racist BS about "white privilege", and all the rest. It's a crock.

The system is]/b] rigged, these days, of course, just not any way you want to admit. When requirements for college are lowered, to allow some less qualified entry, that's rigged. When employers hire based on race, in favor of anyone non-white, that's rigged. When students are being brainwashed into believing that being white is somehow evil, that's rigged.

Again, what you propose is slavery to some State, people working their whole lives to make some power-mad jerks wealthy and powerful. That's not what America is about, and Americans are not going to sit by and allow changes like that to take place. That sort of crap already brought about the election results last year.

But hey, keep pushing.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

So, how is one group needing "more assistance" them getting the job based on their own merits? Or, are you claiming that the State can help them, but their parents cannot? Not what you claimed before, either way. Plus, which groups do you believe need "more assistance"? Quite curious on that one.

As for that claimed inheritance, heck, if you don't want it, my family could sure use it.

To me, merit means potential and ability. Neither actual ability or maximum potential can be reached, when one starts off life from a disadvantaged position. If the childrens parents were capable of helping, they never would have put their children in that situation in the first place. Most parents want the best for their children, that doesn't mean they're capable of providing it.

As for the inheritance, I don't know exactly what I'll end up doing with it. Technically it's still mine, it's just not specified as going to me in the will any longer. What I would like to do with it is something similar to the Franklin Trust at the Philadelphia Foundation, and lend the money out as a way to finance educations for people at a profit, with the intention to compound those profits over centuries for the occasional large scale public works project.

The problem is, as was proven with Franklins idea... education isn't a commodity that's easy to lend to. People can get an education and then default on their loans, while you have no collateral to take as compensation. Fortunately, my dad is quite healthy and still relatively young, so I've got plenty of time to figure it out, and I'm not completely incompetent when it comes to solving hard problems.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Always working, many unable to go to college, having nothing to pass on... have you considered that your family is one of the many who aren't successful?

When requirements for college are lowered, to allow some less qualified entry, that's rigged. When employers hire based on race, in favor of anyone non-white, that's rigged. When students are being brainwashed into believing that being white is somehow evil, that's rigged.

You have no idea what rigged is. Do you realize how rigged the system is in favor of white people? As a kid I had the grades to get into any school I wanted. I figured out early though that it was wrong to use advantages given by my parents and didn't go to an Ivy. Instead I went to a cheap state school I could afford out of pocket. I ended up with a couple degrees from no name schools (I'm still finishing up the 5th and final one).

Despite outright refusing to form a network at an Ivy, despite going out of my way to not build one at college, despite the fact that I'm an absolute dunce, despite the fact that I'm outright bad at what I do... despite all of that, simply because I left a favorable impression on one of my former professors (again, due to being white and having a wealthy family, just like him), a few years later I was literally handed a dream job by this professor. Never applied, never submitted a resume. They came to me, asked me to work for them, work completely around my schedule, and throw enough money at me that I'll be able to retire in under 10 years if I want.

That's what privilege does in the US.

Edit: One more comment on merit and privilege. There was a pretty good TED talk a couple years ago about a rigged game of monopoly. Here's a summary
planetsave.com...

I see that behavior among people all the time. They attribute success to their own merits, and feel it's earned. Even when it was due partially or wholly to external circumstances. White privilege in the US is quite similar.
edit on 5-11-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Go to school and manage a fine dining joint

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

How about just raise the minimum wage where a 40hr week will pay the bills and any overtime gets you ahead.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Sorry OP, but I feel the thread drifting a bit and had to ask.

If I have this correct, no one has a right to an inheritance. It is an unfair advantage and not merit based. Instead, when someone dies all their wealth should go to the state. This is a step in ensuring equality because everyone starts at the same point. Except for those who get needed assistance because that is even more fair.

If this is semi-accurate, then these are my concerns:

- How is this not a wealth grab by the state dressed up as social do-goodery?

- The State already is already pretty thoughtless with tax payer dollars. Why do we want to give them more?

- When everyone starts at the same point (sort of) odds are a few will out do the rest by quite a margin. Just human nature. If we are looking for true equity, this will not suffice. Equity has to run from start to finish. How do we do that?

- If we maintain equity throughout, given human nature, what motivates anybody to achieve? If I fail, it's not my fault. It was rigged against me. That needs to be arbitrated by the state to repair the damages done.

- Inequity is the nature of nature on planet Earth. I have listened to many an argument but have yet to hear a convincing one out lining an analog in nature where fair and equality are the rules of the game.

IDK. There is no perfect system of keeping all the trees equal. Simply giving the people in the state all the power and money because we cannot trust people outside the state with all the power and money does not make much sense to me.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

First off stop selling as if it is black vs white and start selling it as racist vs nonracists..

I think the self inflicted decision to only focus on African American civil rights leaders at the expense of any white civil rights leaders has caused a chunk of this..

(And I say self inflicted because I have little doubt it was just as much the decision of the white civil rights leaders to highlight the black ones as anyone else..probably to help empower the disenfranchised peoples.. )

However instead of some vast left wing conspiracy, I would say it is lazy marketing..

Reality rarely happens in sound bites, but to make it digestible in those terms thy dumb every issue down..

They know if they put black in the title they will get heat.. people who instantly support it, and people who instantly oppose it. So imho it is out of laziness and a lack of imagination not the illuminati..

I think this has added to a cowboys vs Indians dynamic where people feel they’re teams are already chosen for them..

There is no reason some little white kid couldn’t be the next MLK, every civil rights issue in history has been championed by both the establishment and the diseffected.

No change happens without help from the inside.. sans the discriminated against people just killing everyone, lol..

In the words of the black abolitionist Fredrick Douglas, “I am willing to live for the slaves, John brown (white) was willing to die for them.. “

That is one of the most revered and hard core abolitionists, freely admitting there was a white guy who wanted it WAY more than he did..

Take BLM as my favorite example..

Police shootings are NOT a black only issue.. that is an issue that effects everyone, but at twice the rate it “should “ to black people..

So why are they telling 87% of the population (non black portion) , “ this is not an issue that effects your children.. this only effects black kids.. nothing to see here move on...”

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join