It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school in Minnesota requires English course aimed at eradicating white privilege

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It's
okay
to be
white

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: seasonal
Your "simple" solution would tear the US into a smoldering ember.

How so?

Why do you have the right to a huge fortune, just through the luck of the draw rather than through merit?

You honestly think that we the people are just going to "give away" their private property/other assets peacefully?

What you are suggesting is the biggest changes to the the US in it's history.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
My only issue would be that they have a qualified teacher to actually teach something as complex as critical theory to high school sophomores. Critical theory has become so ubiquitous, spreading into all facets of college curricula, that I'm not even sure some college instructors are qualified to teach it.

There's not nearly enough critical thinking in education today--both secondary and post-secondary--and it's creating mobs of under-informed social justice warriors.

I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel, though. I had a student actually come up and tell me that she was just sick of gender! Eventually, we in the humanities will have to come up with something new.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Well thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. We work hard so our kids can have a better life otherwise wtf is the point..

But if you accept that, then you're accepting that some people will be disadvantaged in life simply due to issues like who their parents were, or worse generational issues. A few posts ago you said that anyone can rise up, but now you're saying your children need a special competitive advantage over others.

Which is it?

Do you know how to read?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Can't take it with you, but you can direct where it goes. And every American is free to give it to what ever or who ever they want.

Why is that a good thing?

Personally, I was set to inherit over 20 million. I had the will rewritten so I wouldn't get any, because I don't believe in inheritance. Why should I profit off the work of my parents rather than my own work?

Now we all know that you are completely full of S###. And your opinion officially is worthless.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Personally, I was set to inherit over 20 million.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Fascinating.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

You honestly think that we the people are just going to "give away" their private property/other assets peacefully?

What you are suggesting is the biggest changes to the the US in it's history.

It's not given away. You have it through your entire life.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Now we all know that you are completely full of S###. And your opinion officially is worthless.

Why is that? Because you don't agree with me? Because I would rather live in poverty, or by my own merits than through my parents?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

The freedom to direct your (dead person) estate is taken from you.

Again, that would cause a very very big mess.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Then what's the point of someone busting their ass for their family and their future if when you die everything is stolen by the state???

So you can have it while you're alive. It's not like you can take it with you when you die.

Then why should a man/woman work their ass off to set up their children with a better life?????

Curious as to how you feel about hiring based on skin color since you brought up Meritocracy. Should a person NOT be hired because their race is dominating in a certain industry or specialty to make way for more diversity?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Funny, but I only include it because it points out where I'm coming from. I could go without working a day in my life if I chose to do so. I certainly don't have the work ethic of my dad, though I've reaped plenty of benefits from it, and more if I wanted.

Instead, being in the position to see a huge benefit (I would be one of those people who would benefit from removing an estate tax) I've developed the opposite opinion. Inheritance is not a good thing for society.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Curious as to how you feel about hiring based on skin color since you brought up Meritocracy. Should a person NOT be hired because their race is dominating in a certain industry or specialty to make way for more diversity?

Society should ensure that anyone can succeed, that doesn't necessarily mean making diversity hires, but it does mean looking into lowering the barrier to entry on obtaining job training, and sometimes that means one group gets more help than another group, because they need more assistance.

When it comes to culture issues, I'm not sure how to address it. For example, despite a lot of outreach programs, the share of women in Computer Science continues to decline each year. That's something that I'm not sure how to fix, if it even should be fixed.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

a reply to: notsure1

White privilege is a racist term.

Whenever you take a race and assign a universal trait to them all it is the definition of racism.

And yes exposing kids of any color to this is poison.

It is racist but like everything else really only affects poor people, specifically poor white people.

Edit: when i said "everything else" I meant mainly in a psychosocial sense, as we have here.

edit on 5-11-2017 by Jacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jacket

White privilege is a racist term.

Whenever you take a race and assign a universal trait to them all it is the definition of racism.

And yes exposing kids of any color to this is poison.

It is racist but like everything else really only affects poor people, specifically poor white people.

Edit: when i said "everything else" I meant mainly in a psychosocial sense, as we have here.

Do you think the militant teachers are thinking the racist subject of white privilege only applies to the poor whites?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Society should ensure that anyone can succeed, that doesn't necessarily mean making diversity hires, but it does mean looking into lowering the barrier to entry on obtaining job training, and sometimes that means one group gets more help than another group, because they need more assistance.

When it comes to culture issues, I'm not sure how to address it. For example, despite a lot of outreach programs, the share of women in Computer Science continues to decline each year. That's something that I'm not sure how to fix, if it even should be fixed.

Lowering the barrier?????

So you don't believe in Meritocracy, you just choose to use it when you think you are talking to people that don't know what your talking about then!!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

White privilege might be a joke but there are many many more white millionaires than black ones. The problem is that you probably just know of black ones due to entertainment.(I'm assuming) "1 in 7 white families are now millionaires. For black families, it’s 1 in 50." A lot of those black entertainers that are millionaires still have white bosses.

That being said, I am a minority woman and I truly believe that people should get what they deserve, affirmative action is racist, lowering the bar is racist, forcing diversity is racist. Helping the weak does not work in the natural world and only sets back our species. The true key to success is education and knowledge. Unfortunately some schools provide neither. Anyone from any social level can bring themselves up if they have the grit to do so. It's been proven time and time again.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Lowering the barrier?????

So you don't believe in Meritocracy, you just choose to use it when you think you are talking to people that don't know what your talking about then!!!!

Nothing about a meritocracy says you can't make things easier for people. Another part of such a system is that you recognize when a person is being held back by external circumstance rather than personal merit. Less talented white people have a much easier time getting into a nice upper class job than people with more natural ability who live in a ghetto.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

White privilege might be a joke but there are many many more white millionaires than black ones. The problem is that you probably just know of black ones due to entertainment.(I'm assuming) "1 in 7 white families are now millionaires. For black families, it’s 1 in 50." A lot of those black entertainers that are millionaires still have white bosses.

That being said, I am a minority woman and I truly believe that people should get what they deserve, affirmative action is racist, lowering the bar is racist, forcing diversity is racist. Helping the weak does not work in the natural world and only sets back our species. The true key to success is education and knowledge. Unfortunately some schools provide neither. Anyone from any social level can bring themselves up if they have the grit to do so. It's been proven time and time again.

If anyone could do it, then it would make sense for rates of success to mirror general population statistics, and they don't. Anyone has the chance of success if they put in the effort. That chance however happens to be much larger if you're white, and larger still if you're male.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Any "educators" involved in this should lose their licenses to teach, permanently. Then, charges for racial discrimination need to be filed, as this is seriously racist.

Parents need to get their kids out of the schools unless, and until, this changes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join