It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Important TED Talk in the History of the World.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel
Will and purpose will be the last things that AI will get----as I've repeated before, do not fear AI with intrinsic will.

Fear billionaires with very strong personal, human, will wielding a billion dollars worth of AI deployed for their own purposes overriding the desires and comfort of the many.
I still fear the AI with intrinsic will of the distant future for my descendants more than the billionaires. At least i understand the billionaires' motivations, and have some idea what to expect there, but the intrinsic will of an AI may be very difficult to anticipate.

I agree we are still a long way off, but the point of the TED talk is it's probably a bad idea to wait to address this concern until the technology is closer to being a concern, so it doesn't hurt to start thinking about how to address it long before the technology is there.

For example, should we be using AI in devices that don't have an off-switch? It's the type of fundamental idea which may seem irrelevant at present but I don't think it's a matter of if it will ever become relevant, but when. Maybe if not a few decades then a few centuries but I don't see how it can not become a concern unless precautions are taken and even then I wonder if they can be adequate.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: kennyb72

if humans do create advanced AI which are intelligent and are self aware , then that to me would mean that we too were created.

The AI lives on, humans die out and in some far flung epoch, the current crop of AI find some evidence of our existence. They will then argue amongst one another that the evidence is false, rigged or whatever and that no other civilisation existed before their own.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

One interesting aspect I don't hear discussed or explored often when it comes to AI is the possibility of predicting and shaping outcomes with its instantaneous thoughts. The AI in a sense could be psychic either by predicting or modifying the future with its abilities to run instantaneous calculations or ability to access and modify other connected devices.

Other aspects I don't hear being discussed is accountability . What is the punishment for an AI ? What if that AI operating system is used across billions of other devices? Are they all held accountable? If Johny 1.o AI killed a human will Johny 1.o be destroyed or updated, or given to Hillary to be wipe clean

Will it have wants and what will it be?

If its able to compute at quantum levels will it grow intellectually so rapidly that it will just convert itself to some other form of state without us even knowing or just vanish?

Interesting 'what if' scenarios that we will have to tackle no doubt in the near future.
Luckily for us besides the Hype, I don't think we are close to skynet just yet.

edit on 291130America/ChicagoMon, 06 Nov 2017 13:29:39 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

if humans do create advanced AI which are intelligent and are self aware , then that to me would mean that we too were created.

Intelligence and self awareness both require consciousness and that is never going to happen in a machine. It has taken humanity billions of years of consciousness evolution to get to where we are now. Our level of awareness can never be simulated.

A software program is line after line of instruction, even if the software algorithm introduces self learning, all that will happen is the the computer will produce more code, it doesn't matter how sophisticated the programming or how powerful the computer, it will never be alive.

I don't doubt we will see powerful robots with the capacity to destroy us, but there will be someone controlling the program, the program will never become sentient in its own right.

You are right about being created though.

Note: Everything is conscious to some degree, the level of consciousness of an inanimate object such as a computer would have the same awareness as grain of sand.

edit on 6-11-2017 by kennyb72 because: added note

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

it's when scientists start creating biological computers that i'll start to freak out a little bit !

for now im pretty happy that I think robots if created wouldnt harm us!

I too also think it will take near miracles to recreate what we are, but still I think its possible , we arent perfect .

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join