It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prosecutor to Trump: Shut Up or Face Gag Order From Russia Probe Special Counsel

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

You mean someone thinks the President shouldn't have first amendment rights? He is allowed to express an opinion just the same as everyone else.

I'm so sorry that unelected court officials have to actually do their jobs and vet jurors during selection.r

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Fine, let the POTUS exerce his right to free speech
as long as he allows others to do so too

edit on 4/11/17 by Damiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Damiel

Damiel, I agree completely.

I believe everyone should be left alone in their free speech, regardless of how offensive or (in some cases) disgusting it may be. Freedom of speech (like all amendments in the BOR) is a hallmark of our republic, and is something we should all cherish.

I fully support free speech for all individuals, and wish them nothing but success in getting their voices heard and their message out there.

This includes those I disagree with/who disagree with me

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Dudemo5
He'll just post in Russian.

There is precedent...

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

While I understand the sentiment, I'm all for letting Trump run his fat trap, because he is a nonstop self-incrimination machine. Trump himself is a prosecutors golden goose, in terms of terms of evidence against him. Trump just keep laying his twitter and media golden eggs. Trump's inability to control himself is the best weapon against him. However, I do see Mueller's point. Trump has screwed up one trial because of his fat mouth, so it's probably a smart thing to shut it down before he can screw up any more.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns
Burnsie,
As long as POTUS dosen't abuse of his position to:
belittle, embarrass, threaten people

As long as POTUS refrains the varying forms of
Incitation, intimidation or goading people

That's fine too

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Free speech does not apply in the case of a criminal prosecution by the FBI. Come on people!

If I got on TV and started repeatedly defaming the Director of the FBI and began repeatedly making declarations on how he should proceed in a prosecutory case against members of the US government, after they have been indicted, would that be acceptable? Do you think the FBI might have a problem with that? Would anyone be surprised if I was slapped with a gag order?

Probably not.

edit on 5-11-2017 by antoinemarionette because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: antoinemarionette

Your post sums it all up
...basically

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

And the important thing to remember, this isn't just random Joe citizen, this is the president, whose words and position have the most power and influence in the world. It is why Presidents, in the past, don't weigh in on high profile cases in any real manner until the trial is over, sentence has been passed, before they chime in. It is because they know the influence and sway their opinion can have, and thus, wish to keep it from muddying the fairness of a trial.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

this is the president, whose words and position have the most power and influence

.. The Orange one forgets that he's the king of the world
if precedent is to be believed,his fingers get carried away...

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Best Advice for the President: Keep sharing your thoughts with the public. IF a gag-order comes, you'll be that much further ahead of the game, since your intuition has proven correct almost every time!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
His comments on cases already effected one case. The sentencing of Bergdahl was affected by trumps words and possibly lead to no jail time. I can see why they dont want Trump talking about more cases.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damiel
There's "free speech"
Then there's trying to influence criminal proceedings

There's nothing in his Tweets that influence criminal proceedings. So Trump thinks he is a liar, that has no bearing on any criminal proceeding.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

I disagree.

His comments strongly influence any case because he is the President of the US and there are juries involved in these matters. Juries who have simply read newspaper articles about cases are often dismissed.

Influencing Juries

Jury tampering is a crime that occurs when people improperly influence jurors. Jurors can also be improperly influenced—sometimes by their own doing—without anyone committing a crime. However it occurs, improper influence on jurors can effectively undo a criminal case and result in a new trial for the defendant.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Guess we shouldn't have any media at all then if that's the gripe.

I don't think Trump will be reaching out to any jurors individually in attempt to tamper or influence their reasoning.

I could be wrong, stranger things have happened.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: antoinemarionette
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

I disagree.

His comments strongly influence any case because he is the President of the US and there are juries involved in these matters. Juries who have simply read newspaper articles about cases are often dismissed.

Influencing Juries

Jury tampering is a crime that occurs when people improperly influence jurors. Jurors can also be improperly influenced—sometimes by their own doing—without anyone committing a crime. However it occurs, improper influence on jurors can effectively undo a criminal case and result in a new trial for the defendant.

I think it's a crazy stretch to say that Tweets constitute jury tampering? And if reading a newspaper about a case means you can't be a juror, then reading Tweets would be the same thing, which means Trump's Tweets would have no affect on the jurors, as they wouldn't have read them.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
ITT: People who don't seem to understand how our justice system works?

Media outlets are extremely careful when reporting on people involved in criminal proceedings. This is why terms like "suspected" or "alleged" are used. Making summary judgements about a defendant before trial can make it nearly impossible to get a fairly tried case.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Good, put the gag order on Trump and you'll see the guys walk.

They WILL have to go to russia to find a jury that would be impartial.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
More crap posting by a liberal,some lame idea you have,your candidate lost,and your whining is getting sickening,does ever liberal live with a TV set?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Click bait title,

A talking head ex-prosecutor from the Watergate era....probably 135 years old by now...said "blah blah blah"

"blah blah blah"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join