It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Houses Vanish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
--The links included is to all the houses mentioned in this story. I have no idea how to include them otherwise.

A few weeks ago in a dream, I was driving down the street in the town I was born in looking for the house that I lived in for most of the '60s.

I came upon where it should be but to my surprise, there was only an empty field there. When I lived there I was too young to be concerned with the Vietnam War or of our losing JFK. What did interest me on TV at that time was of NASA sending men into space and finally onto the Moon. I tried to learn how to play the piano at a neighbor's house but the TV distracted me too much. There was a new TV series playing that I had never heard of before. It was called "Star Trek" With "Star Trek" and NASA on my mind all I could see for the future was that things would become amazingly better for the world. So I worried about nothing else and went about my business. The driveway at that time was made of gravel. I remember spending several hours making "roads" throughout the driveway for my Tonka trucks. When I wasn't doing that there was always my trusty Big Wheel to ride around on.

In the early '70's we moved away from that midwest town to the Houston area. To be exact it wasn't that far from NASA's Johnson Space Center.

The world kept getting better I thought. As far as I know, despite the dream, the house below is still there with the memories of what a safe small world it was for me back then.

goo.gl...

Below is my grandmother's house. This was built about 1953 by my grandfather. I've never met him as he passed on in 1957. This house represented family and happiness to me as I can remember all my dad's family gathering there on Christmas Eves. I missed going there one Christmas Eve as I had the flu. I think there was an Apollo mission going on at that time and at least one of the astronauts had the flu as well. The big gifts that Santa brought me that year were a Light Bright and a Deluxe Spirograph Design Set.

This home was one of the places I stayed in the summer when I visited family on summer vacation. The two-story house was made of brick with a cement basement. I thought it was one of the safest places in the world to be as no storm could blow it down.

Memories of what once was a family gathering point are no longer happening. My grandmother passes away about 10 years ago. Somehow the boyfriend of a cousin managed to sell the house. Once again what was is no longer there for me.

goo.gl...

This last house was the farmhouse my mother grew up in with her sister and two brothers who are twins. The property included a stone and cement workshop that could withstand a rocket-propelled grenade. It was full of history with a variety of tools and such. The buildings there were about one hundred years old. I remember big round chicken coup, the large covered picnic area, the playhouse (full of bikes and wagons and sleds). After a bit of walk past the large vegetable garden stood the barn. The stood like a soldier standing at attention guarding the cornfields behind it and the cleared acres past it. Inside was the International tractor that I had the honor of driving to mow open fields and drive it down the street to Mike's Market for gas. What else was in the barn beside the basketball was the old Studebaker pickup truck in which I learn to drive something with manual transmission.

This was someplace I stayed on summer vacations with my uncles Dennis and Danny.

One thing that I missed out on was when my grandfather set up a huge Lionel Railroad tracks and trains in the large formal room. For some reason, we didn't go over there that that day. I was just a little kid at that time so I don't remember it. What I do know is that my mom's dad passed away shortly after that. I managed to play with some of the trains when visiting but didn't have a clue as to how they all operated.

My dad, his dad, and my grandmother's father all worked for railroads at one time or another so I've always been fascinated with trains and transportation.

Now that years have gone by since I have visited have been there the safe world that I remembered has gone downhill. One night, a few years ago, uncle Danny received a phone call. It was from his best friend Johnny. I knew Johnny as he was one of the uncles' friends that they basketball with and I kept score on the gym scoreboard. Johnny was completely beside himself during the short call. What was happening was that his wife was killing him.

As Danny could do nothing to stop this he became quite mentally disturbed. He was the only one living in the farmhouse at that time as Dennis had married and built his own house on the property. Danny has never really healed from that call from Johnny. This is why the house was pictured in such disrepair, as he no longer took care of it.

Most of the acreage of the farm has been sold off and now the farmhouse and all the old outbuildings have been leveled as well. I feel a little bit of my heart was taken away from me for not being able to visit more often as an adult.

A sad part of this story is the latest news about my uncle Dennis. He suffered a massive heart attack last night and is not expected to live. As twins,
I know that Dennis and Danny have always had a special connection. As kids, they almost had their own language as well. I can only imagine how much this will hurt Danny once Dennis is gone.

goo.gl...

As I have mentioned I have always been interested in transportation. This was narrowed down after the divorce from my first wife to jobs involving travel. I worked one job that took me around to many stores to train new employees. From there I went on to do school photography which required travel from Texas areas over to Flordia. That job didn't last very long as I was told that I was "too slow". This hurt a bit because I had a severe head injury when I was almost finished with high school and I could only do what I could only do. I'm getting a bit off topic but I wish that I had known about The Americans with Disabilities Act to keep me from losing jobs like this and others as well.

As I was without work and without reasons to stay in Texas I moved out of state and lived with a friend for some time. I worked for a travel company associated with one of the airlines and loved it. This was a job, selling vacation packages, that I was good at and it was something that made sense to me. The concept of travel was one of those things that I felt as comfortable with as with the above homes.

As homes and jobs didn't last as much as I expected the travel job also ended. This was in part due to the first heart attack that I had experienced and the psychological medicine my MD had me on. I was either in a daze or slept most of the time. Otherwise, I getting addicted to playing online games, so life stopped for me.

Life stopped for many others as well as my wife woke me up one morning telling me that my oldest-step daughter had called saying "that they dropped an atom bomb on New York City". Of course with all the confusion of that morning that was just her way of telling us about the attacks on 9/11.

cont...
edit on 11 4 2017 by LookingForABetterLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
My wife and I were in shock as we both have worked in connection to one of these airlines and flown on them as well.

This was the first major dent I had on my suit of armor by the name travel industry. It didn't make sense that this would happen as this is what my lifeblood was made for.

I got over it in time as my life slowly went downhill from there. I began receiving social security payments. Then my wife passed away. Like lots of other things in life, this was not supposed to happen. I didn't expect it. It's taken me a great deal of time to get over my loss of her and my life as I had to move back to Texas to live with family until I can get back on my feet.

I've tried working in the travel industry since but my health has gotten in the way of that. As a matter of fact, I was going to start an online position for an East Coast hotel chain early this year. I had their computers set up and I was ready for training. Then as always when things start to feel like home they fell apart. I had another heart attack. Working in the travel industry is getting harder and harder for me to even want to do now. Especially when terrible things have happened to popular travel locations. Puerto Rico is not more. Another island like St. Maarten is severely damaged plus we have all that was done to hurt Flordia and the Texas coast. Vacationing just isn't a safe and relaxing concept any longer. Las Vegas was one of the highest selling destinations for me but look what has happened there.

I feel that I was born at the wrong time in history to be about of what clicks best for my brain. Let's just rewind this VHS tape and hope for a better outcome next time.[/color]

Dear lovely mods, knower of all things. Send this story to where ever it fits best in the wonderful world of ATS.

edit on 11 4 2017 by LookingForABetterLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

This reminds me so much of some of my childhood family houses. My grandma's house was built by my grandfather. This generation wouldn't believe that people used to only build a house that they could afford right then, mortgages were looked down on and were somewhat shameful. Fast forward to the late 1990, they decided to build a giant landfill in back of my grandma's property. Everyone that lived in the vicinity needed to sell the to government or would be forced out. They gave her a very small amount. I now see that the entire area is re-built up and for sale for new houses for a lot of money. It's all about the money.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This was so interesting to read, and to be able to "go see" these places. Thank you for a peek into your life.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I too thank you for a peek into your life and for sharing it with us. The homes were lovely, even the old farmhouse. The tragic events pulled at my heart strings.

My own place is an apartment in a 3 family home that was once owned by my Parents. I have seen my Mother's beloved flowering bushes and plants removed, some kept, but moved to different areas where they will not thrive. Mom had a religious statue of Mother Mary that was cemented into an old fire pit which has been hacked down two years ago and it still lays there like a dead body left and forgotten.

My Parent's apartment was below mine and though some improvements were made, it looks so different and not at all the warm and inviting place it once was.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
JAGStorm -

When I visited the farm that my mother grew up on there was acres and acres of fields with crops growing, barns that look like they were built one thousand years ago, plus the farmhouses and outbuildings. Looking at the Google maps of the area now I see hundreds of houses built next to each other which is part of the reason the country is going down the toilet. Too many people living on land that could feed us instead.

Living along the Texas gulf coast, I knew that the next hurricane would be devastating with all the houses, Wal-Marts, and everything else taking up clear land that could possibly absorb more of the rain. Harvey is proof of that.

chelsdh -

I'm happy that you appreciated my effort in sharing those photos with you. As I don't have any of the addresses it took me half a day of going through very slow moving Google maps to find them.

Night Star -

Thank you for your kind replies. The farmhouse used to be much better looking than it was in the photo provided.
It's sad that is not there anymore as I also missed the little things about it. Outside the dining room on the top of a pole was a cast iron bell to ring in case there was a fire. Hopefully, neighbors would hear it and respond. The water pump outside the kitchen was played with many times as we kids acted like we were old-timey farmers and that was the only water we could get.

Like with your house, nothing remains the same for long. Not being able to experience the houses and the world like it once was is as bad as having your favorite teddy bear stolen.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
My uncle who had the heart attack is actually doing better now. However, he is still too weak for the drs to perform a heart catheter test to see how much damage was done.

I was told that he had received a flu shot three days before the heart attack. Wife and daughter took off from work/school to see what was happening to him as his texts made no sense. His talking wasn't any better. At that time they called 911.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

Good to know that your Uncle is doing better and hopefully will improve with time.

top topics

join