It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trump administration has begun detaining US citizens indefinitely and without trial

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Two months? From my understanding, the government can detain anyone up to six months before they have to come up with enough evidence to continue holding them or let them go.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: EartOccupant

Fair enough.. But then don't call out Trump, call out the SYSTEM!

I called Bush out for it.

I called Obama out for it.

I am consistent in my politics.

So I am calling Trump out for it.

This kind of thing has to stop.

Just go join ISIS. Then when you are detained, you can fight the system from the inside. Front lines, be a martyr. Not just a keyboard warrior.
edit on 4-11-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
If you guys are going to talk about it, get the facts straight.

The Patriot Act allows for the indefinite detention of immigrants.

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 is what allows the indefinite detention of US citizens.

In 2013 an amendment to remove that indefinite detention from the NDAA was defeated in the Senate. The senators thought it was a good idea and decided we should keep it.

The original blame lies on our Senate and Obama from signing it into law. There's no way around that. When the NDAA next comes up for renewal Trump will have the chance to veto it. I doubt he will but he will have the chance to do so.
edit on 4-11-2017 by Noncents because: Added A Missing Letter

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Uuhmmm..

You might wanna read up on the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) Signed into law by Obama

Edit: The above post from Noncents has more details.

Maybe it's an age thing...

edit on 4-11-2017 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Good catch. Thanks Obama!!
edit on 4-11-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

Two months? From my understanding, the government can detain anyone up to six months before they have to come up with enough evidence to continue holding them or let them go.

I don't know about that, but such a stipulation still requires a charge. This person hasn't been formally charged with any crime.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Read the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)

They can put you, yes you also, away indefinitely... and you or youre family may never here why.

All made legal by Mister Change, Obama !

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Here's the link

Information is starting to leak out about a US citizen being held in Iraq. The US claims he went to join ISIS but so far hasn't charged him with a crime. His name is being kept secret, and he has no access to legal representation. All that's known is that he's been held by order of Trump for two months now.

It seems Trump is moving forward with another campaign promise, where he stated he wanted to expand Guantamo, use it against US citizens, and use military tribunals rather than civilian courts.

Even if you assume everything the government has said in this case is true, it still involves arresting someone and detaining them for something they were going to do in the future, rather than something they've actually done.

If you had started threads earlier on Obama drone strikes on both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens prior to this one, it might garner traction. Otherwise, this is merely agenda driven, on your part.

Having said that, it is ridiculous to trump war zone decisions with comfort zone philosophic ideals. There's never been one without 'oops, my bad' connected and never will be.

I prefer, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, craps like a duck, it's likely a freaking duck....shoot it and eat it.

link   

originally posted by: Trueman
So you not even know who is the guy or what he was doing in Iraq. But you made a thread.

When we invaded Iraq initially, we literally kidnapped random people off the streets because of they were wearing Casio watches. Then we threw them in Gitmo for years, without trial, charge, or representation. It was argued it was legal because they weren't citizens. Now we're doing it to citizens, and not even based on evidence of who they are, but what we think they might do in the future.

link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Ok, i'm willing to do that, i wake up first.. but do tell me From what?

And now i've gone first.. will you follow?

Sure, tell me from what. No I'm serious. You say wake up. How do you mean that?
Did you know that wake up is a now common slight at people whose perspectives might differ from those who consider themselves already awake to the deeper realities of life? Did you mean that in that manner, as a slight?

I can only suppose so as you offered nothing in your curt comment at me other than an unsubstantiated claim. You offered a statement and then told me to wake up to it. Man, that's bogus.

In my reply to HeadcrunchMcrockingroin, HCMC to his friends, I acknowledged his observations about how some liberals are blaming so many of these things on Trump. I agree this is wrong, and then explained, briefly, why I agree. Then I attempted to expand on the issue of blame, in that Obama took blame as did Bush for things that were entirely out of their power to do any thing about.

So if you can wake up to that, then we can talk. Otherwise we can go on with this wake up, no you wake up bull# everytime we talk.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: HeadCrunchMcRockGroin

Something interesting I've noticed is that everything involving the military is now labeled as "trump". Yet when Obama was president it was always "US military did this...or US government did that...". It seems when a Republican is president all issues are labeled as being due to Trump, when Democrats in that changes.

I haven't noticed that at all. When Obama ordered drone striking of a US citizen, Obama rightfully took the blame. When Trump orders we detain American citizens indefinitely without charge, trial, or representation, he should rightfully take the blame.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Ah, an Enemy Combatant.

Except ISIS isn't the Enemy?

How are you a combatant when you weren't picked up on the battlefield, or before you joined the group?

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Gotta love the click bait title. Like, the admin is literally out in the streets detaining, beating and silencing US citizens, lol

I mean, Trump is literally out there commenting on people in trial or awaiting trial. Just yesterday the judge in the Berghdal case cited Trump as the reason they had to give him a lighter sentence because Trumps mouth tainted the proceedings. He actually is out there silencing US citizens. Papadoupoulous or however it's spelled has effectively lost his ability to have a fair trial at this point.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I hear you, and can agree.

I do however have hope that Trump is the outsider that will drain the swamp, because the swamp needs draining.

Note: I wrote hope.

I also can not understand why people fight him with so much hate and desperation, as he has done nothing really yet that actually influences freedom or living standards for the worse.

He might turn out bad.. maybe.. he might turn out the best ever.. maybe.

But it is almost impossible to be worse as the last decades with countless wars about nothing more then power and money. An attack on personal freedoms, and a lack of respect for the general public in general.

So yes, i admit, i have Hope! And i could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

a reply to: Asktheanimals

Maybe it's new the left is starting to realise that their ideas and infrastructure isn't so funny anymore when they are on the wrong side?

Naaaah... that could not be..

How exactly does that work in your world? Since you're the one pulling the overt partisan card and this is somehow on "the left" despite the Oatriot Act being signed into law by a Repbican administration and besides the fact that even the known Muslim Commie, Obama, actually allowed American citizens held as enemy combatants at Guantanamo Bay and other US military installations across the world to have access to attorneys, as did eventually the Bush Administration after Bush's AG intervened. Yet it's somehow on the left when the current administration has repeatedly blocked legal attempts to provide council to the American Citizen being detained without the benefit of basic Habeous Corpus. Please enlighten me as to how this is on anyone other than the current goon squad masquerading as a presidential administration if this is how they plan on draining their magic swamp.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yep. Look into the recent era detentions that began before the Carter Admin regarding Hamas and Lebanon and the CIA holding Americans in secret and not so public centers. We've been detaining citizens without regards to representation for a very long time (1800-1960's-2000's)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

I enlighten you:
1. Most of today's practices among military and government are in effect of previous administrations, Trump would like to change it in a day , but reality is that policy changes take usually years.
2. If you think Trump is micromanaging every government branche, think again
3. ASk me again in two years. 7D Chess is not played in a few months.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I hear you, and can agree.

I do however have hope that Trump is the outsider that will drain the swamp, because the swamp needs draining.

Note: I wrote hope.

I also can not understand why people fight him with so much hate and desperation, as he has done nothing really yet that actually influences freedom or living standards for the worse.

He might turn out bad.. maybe.. he might turn out the best ever.. maybe.

But it is almost impossible to be worse as the last decades with countless wars about nothing more then power and money. An attack on personal freedoms, and a lack of respect for the general public in general.

So yes, i admit, i have Hope! And i could be wrong.

I appreciate your hopes because I once held those hopes for Obama. That hope lasted about two months back in his first term. And honestly, there was a moment since Trump came to the fore that maybe he could do it. That lasted only a couple of hours.
I'm glad you still have hope as hope may be all that we really have to sustain us in light of the larger trends in global conflicts that surround us.

I recall the first Clinton asking for hope that we could stop the US war machine that Bush the first used. But Clinton did not, he just pretended to stop it as under his time in office we kept bombing and bombing and bombing and killing innocents. Then under Bush two, and 9/11 it went on and on. I agree and it makes me sick.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Trump has done nothing because his ideas are so bad that no one in power wants to support him.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I had hope for Obama too, ( the first time ) I don't believe in parties or sides, they play people and make things worse.
I believe in good ideas, no matter the side.

And yes, i still have hope, but it is difficult to keep it up, i admit.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join