It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Talk Vinyl Records....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

This looks great.

Twin Peaks S.T.

Director approved artwork
• Sleeve notes By Angelo Badalamenti
• Vinyl re-master by Tal Miller
• Laquers cut by David Cheppa at Plush Vinyl
• 180G damn fine coffee colour vinyl
• 425gsm Gatefold sleeve housed inside a bespoke white die cut outer jacket with white spot varnish finish, complete with obi strip.

edit on 3-11-2017 by denybedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Taggart

Can't stop buying soundtracks of either 80's films, spaghetti westerns or italian horrors, rarer the better.

That's interesting. Titles?

I have a few of my favorite soundtracks on my "wish list" (Last of the Mohicans, Solaris (2002), Twin Peaks, etc) but haven't bought any yet. I could always go for a Breakfast Club OTS on vinyl. Suspiria (and Goblin) might be interesting, too.

All this is on top of my older collection of Dub Reggae

I forgot reggae. Damn. I'll have to look at some Marley (Bob and Julian), Gregory Isaacs, etc. As far as metal, that stuff I want is really rare, like $200 an album. :/

Quit enabling!! j/k

Are you peaking at my collection lol?
I have all lynch's works, huge fan, Goblin are another - I love album for the movie Phenomena

but yes Suspiria is also awesome.
John Carpenter is another fave which I'm missing a few of.
My dub sets are mainly King Tubby and Lee Perry, bass so deep I'm rarely allowed to play it because Wife, baby etc.

It's a bit of an addiction but I have to say I worse with books, buying them and never reading them but continually buying them and only reading 10% of them, at least with Vinyl it's very little effort and can be enjoyed quickly.
edit on 3/11/2017 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Good list. From what you mentioned, the only things I don't have are CCR or Joplin, well and Chipmonks. I might have a Donald Duck record, though. I think the only original Sabbath I have is 'Paranoid.'

Good collection.

And you gave all those to your grandson, cool deal, man.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Good list. From what you mentioned, the only things I don't have are CCR or Joplin, well and Chipmonks. I might have a Donald Duck record, though. I think the only original Sabbath I have is 'Paranoid.'

Good collection.

And you gave all those to your grandson, cool deal, man.

Grab the little known Black Sabbath Vol. 4 (yes , that is the name) . One of the best in my book . "Snowblind"
And for comic relief , nothing beats Cheech and Chong "Earache my Eye"

edit on 11/3/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed

I've got peter and the wolf on vinyl.

Mint

Dont have a second line.
Well , no Snoopy and the Red Baron ?
I loved that one...

edit on 11/3/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Vinyl, one of my first true loves! So many bittersweet memories... So many scolding to friends and acquaintances who were lousy at handling such delicate portions of my fairly small, but much loved collection.

Lots of Journey, Led Zepplin, Kansas, BoC and Pink Floyd.

Most whimsical: Zepplin's "In Through the Out Door" (Fool in the Rain!!!)

Most Cherished and Missed because My $%@# Ex Stole It: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

The one that has my husband scratching his head: George Strait's Greatest Hits

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I agree, dj's that use mp3's to me are cheating. I will never convert from my vinyl, that's why I am now a retired dj. Breaks my heart....

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Twin Peaks s.t. on vinyl would be freakin amazing.

I think one thing that fuels my addiction is that so many modern albums can now be bought on vinyl. I still think it's partially marketing, as I mentioned.

I have seen the new series on vinyl, but I haven't seen the original film OST, which I have on CD, on vinyl.

It would certainly be amazing.

Perhaps. But if the Master is already in digital format, and therefore has lost it's analogue properties, you'd merely be reproducing the digital quality on vinyl.

I remember having an audio program that would add pops and clicks to emulate vinyl. I'd think it'd sound more like that, for nostalgia it'd be interesting, but modern stuff already mastered in digital, I'd think would not be the same.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   
So because i used to dj, I have an extensive collection of hardcore, gabber, and terror music, that's what I used to play.

I also have a nice 80's collection, stuff like Billy idol, Cyndi lauper, the police, etc... and my dad used to collect records, so i have his, Beatles, Floyd, genesis, etc.....

My dad used to buy out of an old mail order record catalogue, goldmine, damn that was a long time ago! And I used to go to Holland and buy massive amounts of my hardcore vinyl and lug it all back to the states....

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

a reply to: DerBeobachter

# That place is awesome. I could live there. And lose all my savings.

It reminds me of a place in Little 5, but yours is more polished.

Just curious, where is that, Germany?

Yes, it´s in Cologne/Germany

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

a reply to: stormcell

That's awesome.

Does it deal *only* in vinyl, or do they have vinyl in addition to other formats?

There's a place or two in Little 5 Points that always carries vinyl and has an long as I can recall, but...that's Little 5.

I notice that a LOT more bands are putting out vinyl in increasing numbers. I wonder if it's partly a reaction to streaming/pirating, since vinyl *has* to be bought, and which goes back to what Trent said. Also, it's physical and can't be pirated. It exists.

They only buy and sell second hand vinyl. I think people are getting fed up of having everything logged, recorded and analyzed for advertising revenue.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Perhaps. But if the Master is already in digital format, and therefore has lost it's analogue properties, you'd merely be reproducing the digital quality on vinyl.

Yeah, I agree that is it was recorded and mastered digitally it wouldn't be the same as an analog recording, but part of my point was about the compression used digitally. If a digital master was fully lossless and transferred to vinyl, it would still have the space and sound amazing, even if not a true analog recording.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

That's awesome. It's weird that of the few albums I listened to way back when, I also have very, very vivid memories of listening to particular albums. One or two I mentioned in the OP.

Another one, now that you mentioned it, is Ziggy Stardust. I remember once I was cleaning out a storage shed with some of my uncle's furniture, and in side table drawer I found a few albums (Ziggy Stardust, Spirit, and some others) that were going to get trashed. I remember that night I put ZS on and immediately fell in love.

I also remember the very first time I heard Rubber Soul was on vinyl.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I've got peter and the wolf on vinyl.

Mint

Prokofiev?

My classical vinyl is very meager. I have some Wagner, but finding a good recording and performance of classical pieces is one thing that has prevented me (sometimes even on CD there are some #tty recordings), although I am looking for some of my faves, such as Gorecki's Symphony #3.

I have a few Disney stuff on vinyl, and one that is a ghost story for kids that I used to LOVE and scared the # out of me when I was small.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It's funny. We were always looking for a better sound. 8 tracks and cassettes came along. Then CD's. Turns out we had the perfect sound all along. I sure do miss vinyl.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
It's funny. We were always looking for a better sound. 8 tracks and cassettes came along. Then CD's. Turns out we had the perfect sound all along. I sure do miss vinyl.

I was thinking the other day about the voyager mission and the record they included and I was a bit embaressed about the fact it was vinyl and so outdated.

It would be cool if an advanced society found it and were like "whoa the sound quality on this is awesome, so far advanced compared to our crappy holographically digitised versions"

"These guys are waaaaayyyyy ahead of us technologically!!!!"

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

In 1977 I was 16. I had a car, a really good paying job that I worked after school and Saturdays, and an insatiable desire for new music. My Sundays were spent over in Long Beach at ZED RECORDS spending every last dime I could spare on new vinyl. I continued buying records all through high school and beyond. I still have them - I had to build a shelf in my garage that runs the whole length to store them all. I've got my old Technics linear tracking turntable that still works perfect and play them all the time. It must have rubbed off on my kids because one of the first things my daughter did when packing to go off to college was raid the garage and fill a box full of my records!
edit on 11 4 2017 by underpass61 because: sp

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Cripes man. You just described my life back then. Down to the job and all.

This got me thinking about bands that would have been even better had they been released on vinyl. The Peppers. Rage. Hell even Stone Sour.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I have a lot of cat stevens on vinyl. Mostly from my dad, but I've picked up a few copies here and there over the years.

My most prized vinyl is probably Teaser and The Firecat. I would put it on the home stereo every day as a kid.

ETA: I might be lying, because i have Live Rust as well, and I must have listened to Powderfinger a million times during my childhood. . .

edit on 4-11-2017 by denybedoomed because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-11-2017 by denybedoomed because: RUST NEVER SLEEPS

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: underpass61

Cripes man. You just described my life back then. Down to the job and all.

This got me thinking about bands that would have been even better had they been released on vinyl. The Peppers. Rage. Hell even Stone Sour.

I had Higher ground by the chilli peppers on 12 inch ep. Had a good b side that I think had a live version of give it away on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join