It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bergdahl Sentencing: No Prison Time, Dishonorable Discharge

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

The judge in the case point blank said Trump's comments would be considered as "mitigating factors" during sentencing.

“I will consider the president’s comments as mitigation evidence as I arrive at an appropriate sentence,” the judge, Col. Jeffery R. Nance of the Army, said during a hearing at Fort Bragg. The judge is expected to sentence Sergeant Bergdahl in the next few weeks.

And then sentencing was delayed after the defense filed another motion on Monday, thanks to Trump's comments in the Rose Garden.

Col. Jeffrey R. Nance, the military judge who holds Bergdahl's fate in his hands, said he had a "hard time" buying the prosecutors' argument. Nance said Trump's most recent comments were the equivalent of the president saying, "I shouldn't comment on that, but I think everyone knows what I think on Bowe Bergdahl."

Is Trump the only reason this piece of # is only getting kicked out? No. But at the very least, he made everybody's job a lot harder than it needed to be.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's an understatement. They're apoplectic. My sisters, all former military, were incandescent. My Dad? Geeze, I don't even want to know what he'd have thought of it...nothing polite.

Coward and Traitor.

While a dishonorable isn't exactly a slap on the wrist for him personally, for the families of those soldiers it was a slap in the face.

Those officers should be ashamed, and their next duty stations should reflect that shame.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I was trying to put it politely. I can't recall ever seeing this level of fury before. It'll be a miracle if none of the people involved have to go into hiding for their safety.

Troops will tolerate a lot from higher, but this might have long term consequences for the military. Regardless of Trump and his comments, they just told the entire military that if you don't like things, just walk away. Yeah, a Dishonorable is bad, but you can live with that. And he's still got an appeal that could turn that around.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

So, the Judge took a few comments into consideration and reduced a life sentence to forfeiture of half a months pay for ten months (after a guilty plea to two capital offenses).

Trump really is the most powerful man that ever lived.

No wonder he is both hated and revered by either side so vehemently.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The argument is that if a higher up makes comments about the case, it constitutes Undue Command Authority. By saying what he did, the claim is that he more or less told the judge what outcome he wanted, and being the Commander in Chief, the judge may feel pressured into ruling the way his comments indicated. It doesn't matter if it's Trump, it can just be a superior officer.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
What a bunch of warmongers.

I think y'all jealous.

He got excused, so what.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Don't forget when he files his appeal to have his Dishonorable changed to General or Honorable Conditions - he will claim his PTSD and POW status and this will go a long way towards making a beneficial change happen.

It will also be 12 months from now, out of the media spotlight, and under the radar. This entire episode was a sham. He will be claiming full benefits this time next year.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

The judge in the case point blank said Trump's comments would be considered as "mitigating factors" during sentencing.

“I will consider the president’s comments as mitigation evidence as I arrive at an appropriate sentence,” the judge, Col. Jeffery R. Nance of the Army, said during a hearing at Fort Bragg. The judge is expected to sentence Sergeant Bergdahl in the next few weeks.

And then sentencing was delayed after the defense filed another motion on Monday, thanks to Trump's comments in the Rose Garden.

Col. Jeffrey R. Nance, the military judge who holds Bergdahl's fate in his hands, said he had a "hard time" buying the prosecutors' argument. Nance said Trump's most recent comments were the equivalent of the president saying, "I shouldn't comment on that, but I think everyone knows what I think on Bowe Bergdahl."

Is Trump the only reason this piece of # is only getting kicked out? No. But at the very least, he made everybody's job a lot harder than it needed to be.

I would hate to think this is even an option, but is it possible that they judge is a "never Trumper" and did this to prove some petty "I don't like you" point?

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

His lawyer already made comments that he deserves benefits for treatment of his mental condition, and how he's lost almost 10 years of his life to this. The media might not pay attention to the appeal, but I guarantee the rest of the military is. If this gets overturned, it's going to get ugly.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Did you see an article where the judge gave his reasons for the sentence he handed down? I haven't, so if you've got one I'd like to see it.

No need for the butthurt whining. All I did was explain why it's a pain in the ass for any commander, including the Commander in Chief, to make public comments about a military trial.

No matter how good it makes his base feel.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Ahh the favorite line of teenage girls everywhere: you're just jealous!

Yea, I'm sure loads of us are jealous of Bergdahl.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I wonder, are there any "people" around him that explain what not to talk about? Or they exist, and he does what he wants?
I honestly don't know, but if there is a solution to that issue, it sure would be nice to have that person step up the effort.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Ya know, I'd like to think with both Mattis and Kelly close at hand, one of them might have said "hey sir...." at one point. If they did, that would sort of halfway explain his Rose Garden comment when he sorta kinda halfway said something without actually saying anything.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
What a bunch of warmongers.

I think y'all jealous.

He got excused, so what.

Just think how wonderful it would be if the rest of them grew a conscious and followed this example.

The realization of 'What am I doing here'? 'I am not defending freedoms, I am invading a sovereign country'.

Maybe even with the mental clarity of realizing that you signed a contract and the consequences of breaking that contract will be severe, but your moral voice will not allow for anything else.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah, we're all jealous of a cowardly traitor. You got us!!

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Then don't run away. Go to your CO, and tell 'em that you won't fight anymore. You'll get the same result, only others won't be placed in danger.

If you won't stand for your comrades, what will you stand with? He's a coward, worse a treasonous one.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

It can't have done morale any good, what so ever. SecDef probably did a face palm, if only metaphorically.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

You can not be serious?

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Apparently that is not the case as the judge went against trump, stupid argument.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It was a time of war. He deserted his post. Once upon a time a person would be held for high treason , provided a cigarette , a blindfold , and target on their chest . (or shot in the back as the person started off - legally)
Of course there was always Ft.Leavenworth where the person would have stayed until they turned into dust.
I am sorry , I dont have much room in my heart for traitorous ________(you fill in the blank silently. I dont want myself or anyone else reprimanded here on ATS)

No , no I am not sorry

edit on 11/3/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join