It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are nurses cannibals?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
First, try to make sure where he is at is filled with competent, caring people (or that whoever is giving care is).

I'm not sure cannibalism is much of a concern, but abuse most certainly can be. It can be a frustrating job and the patients generally can't give "valid" testimony. That can be a helluva recipe.. it takes a certain type of person to do the job.

The other thing is to try to have your father remain positive. That's tougher than it sounds, but can be critically important as the dementia gets worse.

When he starts to have those "shifts," try to joke about it and take it lightly. It can be a terrifying experience.. and if that terror really takes hold, it can be absolutely brutal for everyone involved.

There is a lot to be said about those positive associations, but the idea is to create a habitual reaction for when cognizant thought becomes more difficult and eventually lapses into being the norm.

They can still have moments of violence and nightmare, but it can make a very, very big difference. Try to steer him away from them, but do not be dismissive either.

Its a tough situation.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Read up about organ donation. It was very eye opening for me. The oldest donor on record was 92.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
No disrespect, but your Dad sound unhinged. Sadly dementia can bring aggression.

Suggest you talk to the nurses and his carers who will be able to offer reassurance and care to your father.

Some nurses are really mean and hate their patient or hate their job in general and with that they will prey on the vulnerable by telling them things that don't exist. I have a feeling the nurse (s) taking care of OP's dad don't like him much or they jokingly told him nurses are cannibals to freak him out. Not cool if that happened.
edit on 4-11-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
The other thing I thought of, what if they are harvesting organs without people's consent, maybe that is what my dad thought he saw.

I've been told not to become an organ donor. There is big money in organs, and sometimes "things happen".

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Make sure he does not have an infection (urinary?) of some kind. That will set off some serious weird mind stuff.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Thank you, I do come from generations of Nurses and perhaps your title hit me in the gut.

Peace and goodness your way...

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
i worked as a carer in a nursing home specializing in dementia and Alzheimer's, and believe me people with these terrible diseases do hallucinate and paranoia is the worst. one lady i cared for a lovely old lady would hallucinate a purple cow walking uside down on the roof and holes everywhere another would think people were poisoning her food, in the end it was only me and another carer who could feed her as we where the only ones who she trusted.
it can also make placid people aggressive, they are evil diseases they really are

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Sounds like your dad is a bit more or less out of it. They don't call it dementia for no reason you know.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy

The other thing I thought of, what if they are harvesting organs without people's consent, maybe that is what my dad thought he saw.

I've been told not to become an organ donor. There is big money in organs, and sometimes "things happen".

my dad was a recipient of an organ donor, and we are grateful everyday of the lady who gave it him and her family.
what we know is she was in a coma brain dead and she was a donor. ive been a donor years before dad needed one and always will be, i really do believe his whole harvest thing is a lie, we waited a long time for a donor because doctors arent just going to take an organ from someone and give it to someone else.
unfortunately he died 2 years after the transplant from cancer but we had tose extra two years and t me thats worth more than gold, and i hope that one day when my lifes over i can give another family this gift

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
They don't call it dementia for no reason you know.

This.

Dementia patients in hospitals very often "invent" bizarre scenarios to explain their circumstances.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Have you ever wondered if "crazy" people are actually the most sane of us all.

No.

Maybe they know too much which is why they are crazy, maybe we don't want to know so we remain ignorant.

No, that's just a cop out to dismiss the genuine issue of mental illness and mental decline. Einstein, Currie, Newton, Maxwell, Tesla -- all incredibly smart people who know a lot, maybe too much, we not crazy in the 'mental illness' classification, so far as I know.

I know what dementia is and maybe that is all this is, but maybe it isn't. I like to keep an open mind. In my age I have learned things are not always as they appear to be. There is so much we don't know. A hundred years ago if we told someone about cell phones or the internet they would have thought we were talking about witchcraft.

And many people, in the face of advancing common place technology, still believe in a guy in a toga sitting in the clouds judging people on their thoughts. So, it doesn't matter - ignorance will always be present in a certain percent of the human population. But I wouldn't think increasing one's knowledge of things, either focused or broadly, would make one crazy.

Just my opinion. I'm not that smart or in possession of too much knowledge.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

Have you actually read anything about the people you just named???
Some of the most prominent figures in history would be considered very mentally ill today.

mentalfloss.com...

Tesla: "That mind, though, was also plagued with madness. Tesla has been called eccentric, but that hardly scratches the surface of his problems. He was, by all modern definitions, cripplingly mentally ill. Behind his genius was a man who struggled through intense delusions and compulsive behavior, a man tormented by his own mind."

Einstein: At the very least he was said to have ADHD at most was mentally ill

Newton: "Nevertheless, Newton was not exactly what one would describe as mentally healthy."

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Medication can do some really strange things to a person's mind. Check the side effects of the medications he is on. I know this from personal experience with my father several years ago. He was in the hospital for heart problems. He was doing well but having trouble sleeping. They gave him something to help him sleep. Next thing we know, he's paranoid and claiming the hospital staff have microphones hidden in the curtains of his room and wouldn't let us talk while we were in there. The next day after the meds wore off, he was fine and didn't even remember any of his paranoid statements.

edit on 13-11-2017 by Khaleesi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join