It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump wants to allow churches to endorse political candidates again

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Guess he forgetting about one of the principals the country was founded on .
SEPERATION of church and state . Keep the damn religous nuts OUT of politics and government .

Not in the Constitution - it's an old bit of propaganda.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Bolded for emphasis,

"Shall make no law" is pretty straightforward and understandable.

Having passage in tax code chilling free speech by church pastors seems unconstutional by my plain reading of 1st amendment ya can't say abridging freedom of speech applies to all except for religious leaders.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Church leaders have always been at the forefront of American politics.

The prime movers and shakers of the Civil Rights Movements in the South were Church leaders. There's no disallow or allow involved. They have the right, and as purported community leaders, they have the duty to be involved. If that means they play nice with a certain politician? ...and?

More power to 'em, if they are endorsing candidates.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Trump wants to allow churches to endorse political candidates again

Tlhis is an alarming story I just saw that hasn't been noticed by anyone analyzing the tax "reform" bill. Trump wants to get rid of the law that doesn't allow churches to endorse politicians. This is very alarming, considering how many churchgoers there are that believe whatever their church tells them. America may end up like Iran and Iraq with religious leaders and militias running the country. Everyone should be concerned about this.

www.dailykos.com...

Since this bothers you a lot, I am all for it.

Besides, an endorsement is like a recommendation.It isn't an ultimatum. People are still free to vote for who they want.

And speaking of churches, the DNC is like a church, except they insist that their "followers" vote for who they say, or else. They are already practicing their own brand of Sharia law. Aren't you a member too?

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

If they want charitable status, yes. No need to go into an elaborate scenario like you dreamed up. Same as any tax form. Income in, dollars out...with receipts.

So you want to eliminate direct charity... everyone has to give receipts.

How magnanimous of you.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Who cares what Trump wants?

The dude can't get anything done.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think we need a church to advocate putting clothes on animals. It's a moral imperative not to have to see all their naughty bits shamelessly flaunted by both male and female animals.

Think of the children.

There are many things much more important than politics!

However, I plan on running on the "Clothe the Animals" ticket in 2020 if I can get enough support.
edit on 3-11-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Dudemo5

What an awesome comment. If I could give you 500 stars...I wouldn't. Have you ever had a individual thought in your life? When you are worth 5 billion with resorts on multiple continents as well as the POTUS you let us know ok?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Fine - let churches get into politics, but at the same time let them pay their participation fee by being taxed.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
They allow liberals to vote,all that is required is they be over 21,and registered,so why shouldn't they be allowed,they allow all this social crap,transgendered,gay,at least a church has moral values,not so much liberals

I'm sure in some twisted ignorant way what you just said made sense some how, but I'd still love to know how you can just stick random crap like that together for comparison and still believe you actually understand anything.

Nothing you said there makes any logical sense at all and is nothing but your own homophobic, liberal hating bias shinning through dressed in pure ignorance.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join