It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sites blocking mobile text enlargement. It irritates me.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Some sites automatically format for the mobile device you are using and make it harder to do a finger swipe for example on an iPad. I created a favorite code that forces those sites when I click on it to enlarge text. Not everyone has perfect vision and we need to enlarge text at times to be able to easily read a site. In times past before I found and set up the code to force a site to enlarge text, I would have to skip a site due to the text being too small to read.

Now I use a site called LinkedIn which is almost required to have a shot at finding a new job in my opinion. I have no issue when using a large screen with a desktop computer. My issue is their text is too small on my iPad. The code I have that forces other sites to enlarge text does not work on LinkedIn. I have trouble reading even text messages people send me on my iPad. I have to wait to turn on a desktop computer to read messages in some cases if I don't strain my eyes or grab a magnifying glass. Frankly I believe LinkedIn doing this is unfair to everyone who does not have perfect vision and it impairs the sites ability to make money by making users unhappy. For example LinkedIn has something called LinkedIn learning but I can't enlarge the screen on that part of their web site so I can't watch videos using my iPad and I'm not able to see the text. The site forces me to use a desktop computer when it is more convenient for me to use a mobile device wherever I'm at and have time. Sometimes I do squint my eyes and manage to read text messages but that is so irritating to have to do that because someone at LinkedIn doesn't seem to care.

Other web sites that don't automatically allow finger swipes I'm not too happy with either but I did save some code to force those sites to enlarge. LinkedIn did something so the code doesn't work on their site.

edit on 2/11/17 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: orionthehunter

I assume that as linkedin is for finding employment or employees it would be made for a desktop or laptop as most people looking would be at a desk or at least on a laptop and not stood at a bus stop or sitting on the sofa with the tv on.

I think it odd that a lot of people want to replace desktops and laptops with such small limited devices as tablets and phones.

Why not make yourself a hot drink while the desktop fires up and then sit upright in a nice comfy chair with a decent screen to use and a handy actual keyboard with actual finger sized keys to type on?

I really dislike mobile devices for anything other than occasional use and think desktops are far superior if you have not noticed.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Desktops are superior in many ways but I'm not always home and it's not easy to carry a desktop computer with me while traveling. For convenience, it's a lot easier to check emails and messages on my iPad than boot up the PC. It's true that I need to buy a better chair for my desktop computer. It gets hard after sitting on it longer than an hour. I can easily read all other web sites on my iPad especially with a finger swipe or a zoom feature I set up I think using this site.
ios.gadgethacks.com...

However LinkedIn has blocked the ability of users to enlarge text making it very difficult to read messages or do much on their web site unless you are at a desktop if you don't have very good vision or go to other extremes like squinting.

I was hoping there might be a one in a million chance someone at LinkedIn thinks they can improve their profit margin by getting more users using their web site by making their site easier to use on mobile devices like most other companies have already done.

I've watched several free webinars on my iPad. If I can do this on my iPad and easily do screen shot saves if I want to remember the information on screen, then a large money making site like LinkedIn should be able to expand their user size by allowing LinkedIn learning to be enlarged and add more contrast on say an iPad. It's much more comfortable learning on my sofa reading a book or watching an educational video than it is sitting in a harder chair at my computer. Screen snap shots are easier to do on my iPad than on the desktop as well.

I've been using goto webinar or something like that and it allows me to enlarge things but it has a problem on my iPad by not properly filling the screen. It only fills up about half the screen and is off center. No issues on the desktop. Even with those presentations not filling up my iPad screen, I can read everything easily unlike LinkedIn.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

You should definatley invest in a good chair as your back is a very important feature and needs to be looked after

I suppose the point I was making is that different tasks require different tools and just because something can perform a task it might not be the best option.

You can watch a movie on a smartphone but it is a better experience on a decent tv with a good sound system and you also make more of an event of it and enjoy it more. You can take a picture onan ipad but you get a better picture and a hobby with a dslr and a tripod.

If you are looking for a new job is an ipad on the train with some idiot playing music behind you really the best way to do it or should you plan to do it on a proper desktop that will put you in the frame of mind you need to be at your best?

Maybe a laptop would be a better idea if you travel a lot as they have the best bits of a desktop and mobile device all rolled into something that fits into a handy bag but for work on the move but can also be plugged into a monitor and keyboard at a desk or even hooked up to a tv and sound system for entertainment.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I like to watch movies on an iWatch, especially ones that haven't been reformatted for television. The last one I saw, The Hateful Eight, looked like a bunch of ants killing each other.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
My other point I would like to make is that if you are looking for a job, you might be unemployed and don't want to spend extra money while unemployed buying extra stuff like a new chair, a lap top computer, etc, etc. I already have an iPad because it is convenient for reading messages and responding to messages when I'm not sitting at the computer. Plus the company I used to work for said personal emails etc should be sent on personal devices, not company property so I started using mobile devices. I like my iPad. It is light and easy to read or enlarge text on almost all sites except one in particular. LinkedIn is actually the first site I've run into that I haven't been able to force the site to enlarge text using the code I linked earlier.

I have a smart phone too but I don't even try looking at LinkedIn on it.
I'm still waiting for Apple to invent a successor to the iPhone and iPad. I can imagine a device that is made of a thin flexible plastic display that you can roll out like a piece of paper or fold up out of the way but when you want to use it, it unfolds into a display larger than an iPad giving you a screen size like a small desktop computer if desired. I've seen working flexible displays. I'm not sure when Apple or someone plans to release these products.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
My other point I would like to make is that if you are looking for a job, you might be unemployed and don't want to spend extra money while unemployed buying extra stuff like a new chair, a lap top computer, etc, etc. I already have an iPad because it is convenient for reading messages and responding to messages when I'm not sitting at the computer. Plus the company I used to work for said personal emails etc should be sent on personal devices, not company property so I started using mobile devices. I like my iPad. It is light and easy to read or enlarge text on almost all sites except one in particular. LinkedIn is actually the first site I've run into that I haven't been able to force the site to enlarge text using the code I linked earlier.

Sorry if I came across a bit rude and good luck with finding a new job.

Here in the UK we have public libraries where you can use computers for stuff like finding jobs or the job centre(where you get unemplyment benefit and help finding a job) also give free access to computers and printers for free.

As desktops and laptops are loosing popularity they are often free in the classifieds over here too, my son in law took some stuff to the tip and came back with 3 perfectly good laptops with chargers a while back all under 3 years old and we got 4 really good office quality swivel chairs out of a skip a bit back so I may be seeing your gripe from a culturally different standpoint.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I like to watch movies on an iWatch, especially ones that haven't been reformatted for television. The last one I saw, The Hateful Eight, looked like a bunch of ants killing each other.

I challenge you to watch any film on an iwatch that does not look like an ant brawl.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Use firefox with desktop view then not have that problem .

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Well, 50 Shades of S*** looked more like dust mites mating.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I can only imagine watching a movie on an watch.

Someone release the large unfolding plastic display. Someone could make it into a large display. I would want to be able to lock the size when it unfolds so that it doesn't automatically scroll back up like a piece of paper though.

Larger sizes are easier to see. Plus it would be a nice tool to spread out on a desk or table and if it's lighter than an iPad, something I could hold and watch like a view screen seen in some movies.

I will add if someone from Apple reads this, add the ability to markup with lines or notes on screen shots so that you can make notes on your saved screen shots. That would be like ripping a page out of a video book and marking it up with notes. Alternative, allow marking up on your screen or video or page and saving it as a screen shot with a slight pause feature after you markup if you are watching a power point or webinar presentation. There have been times where I did a screen shot and wanted to add notes to the screen shot.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I was only joking about the watch, I have a 120" 4G flat panel that I use to watch films like The Unwashed 99% and The Ever Widening Wage Gap from my private island. It's like being there for the struggle but thankfully I'm not.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
No problem.
I was just trying to imagine why someone would try to watch a movie on a watch.
Everything would be way too small.

We need someone to invent large 3D holographic displays so we don't have all these small displays. I imagine someone has the technology but the costs might be too expensive for a mass market. I'm not sure.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
No problem.
I was just trying to imagine why someone would try to watch a movie on a watch.
Everything would be way too small.

We need someone to invent large 3D holographic displays so we don't have all these small displays. I imagine someone has the technology but the costs might be too expensive for a mass market. I'm not sure.

A mate of mine lives in a transit van and has a laptop and portable projector that all fits into a briefcase.

at night he hooks it up to a leisure battery and points the projector at the side of the van so he can have his own outdoor cinema.

I think that is pretty cool and he bought it second hand and it cost him about £150 all in.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Like many other Social Media platforms, LinkedIn has an application for mobile devices. I think that you'll have a much better experience using the dedicated App. I use it on my Android smartphone and everything is quite legible. You will surely find it in the Apple App Store for your iPad.

Sorry if this has been suggested already; I skimmed through the replies, but didn't see this mentioned.
edit on 2-11-2017 by Encia22 because: typo

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It doesn't make sense to me that sites would intentionally BLOCK a larger font. Perhaps the blame should be placed on the limitations of your Apple iPad. Why not invest in a much cheaper but more capable device such as an ASUS Transformer Pad (you can get them for around $100 with Windows 10). Now, you say you hate Windows? Well, you could have full desktop browsing capabilities in the tablet format you require- if it is mainly browsing you are using the iPad for, I think it would be a valid option to select a different device. Here's one for only $89! www.ebay.com... 82b:g
EYAAOSwjL5ZKG-Z
edit on 1122017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure why I didn't think about using the app. Maybe I am already though and that might be part of the problem. I will check it out.

Thanks for mentioning the alternative device as well. I noticed years ago Apple devices have issues with no flash and other restrictions.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

On MOBILE...go to Switch to DESKTOP VERSION....use that for mobile

new topics

top topics

join