It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy's New Reports on Its Destroyer Collisions Paints An Ugly Picture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Its not very pretty and there obviously needs to be changes:

From poor training and readiness
small errors going uncorrected and snowballing into "lack of adherence to sound navigational practices"
“complacency, over-confidence, and lack of procedural compliance,”

While not every ship and every sailor is not practicing in this fashion, the fact that a major surface command like a Burke class can could get this bad speaks to the lack of oversight and the Admiralty not performing their jobs either. Coupled with recent reports of sailors viewing their ships as a prison, points to the need of serious change going forward. I hope the navy gets its act together

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Why nether ship bothered to preform evasive actions to avoid a collision is beyond me

edit on 1-11-2017 by gdkknxnqkc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Just imagine what one bullet will do to these ships.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Just imagine what one bullet will do to these ships.

Bounce off.
That is 1" and greater steel plate, but rammed by thousands of tons of force, the momentum of another large ship.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

The bullet would probably shatter on impact.

Doing nothing to the ship.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
Its not very pretty and there obviously needs to be changes:

From poor training and readiness
small errors going uncorrected and snowballing into "lack of adherence to sound navigational practices"
“complacency, over-confidence, and lack of procedural compliance,”

While not every ship and every sailor is not practicing in this fashion, the fact that a major surface command like a Burke class can could get this bad speaks to the lack of oversight and the Admiralty not performing their jobs either. Coupled with recent reports of sailors viewing their ships as a prison, points to the need of serious change going forward. I hope the navy gets its act together

www.thedrive.com...

Ummm...I'm going to go off on a tangent...I want to start by saying...I have deep respect for the sailors...I also have great compassion and respect for those that lost their lives in these accidents...

Stating that however...and looking at those pictures...I have to be amazed at the amount of damage they sustained...while also retaining the ability to return to port...
It also makes me wonder at their readiness to remain mission capable and able to fight if necessary after such an accident...

I'm sure command would want to know such things...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Two words come to mind:

"Court Martial"

My guess is whoever had charge of the ship giving the orders when the shipwreck happened if not the Cpt would join the Cpt in the Court Martial.

I do wonder if they make them pay for the damage like in the Army? Had a buddy almost get hit with a bill but the motor pool mechanic who didn't properly adjust the parking brake paid instead.

edit on 1-11-2017 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Beat ya to it.

As noted this thread already exists here on ATS this thread is closed. Please post your thoughts and comments in the exiting thread

new topics

top topics

join