It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had to choose the cuisine of just one country or culture what would it be?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Trueman

American cuisine doesn't exist. Italian American cuisine sucks.

Additionally, despite being of Italian ancestry, I can say I have dined at restaurants here that rival anything I have had in Tuscany or the Veneto.

Man, that's what I mean. Here you have to select a restaurant if you want to taste real Italian cuisine. In Italy, good food is all over. Even Italian equivalents to fast food are great, I don't know how many times I had a "doppia" pizza al taglio in via Independenza, Bologna. Cheapest pizza ever but nothing like that here. 2 blocks from there is a food truck, the best "piada con salsiccia".

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: edaced4

Only problem is that it's so unhealthy. I say this as a born and raised Cajun.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: thehoyimknow
a reply to: Trueman

If you think Italian food sucks then you live a sad sad life. I'm sorry, I hope you can find happiness soon.

I mean Italian American. Nothing to do with real Italian. I'm half Italian.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

Mac and cheese and hamburgers are definitely american cuisine.

I don't like mac and cheese. Hamburgers are good but calling them just "burgers" make them sound more American.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
SCOTTISH! (and by extension British)

Because it's my culture anyway so...

Oh you have no idea how bad I've been hankering for proper black pudding or square slice sausage (also known as Lorne) on a morning roll with the ol broon sauce!

Wash it down with a good cuppa tea after a night on the Tennant's!

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

a reply to: indigothoughts

And according to Dennis Leary, Irish cuisine is just boiling the sh# out of stuff.

My grandmother rest her soul grew up in an Irish household - can confirm

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Mac and cheese and hamburgers are definitely american cuisine.

Biscuits and gravy, bacon cheese burgers, black coffee, chicken fried steak and gravy. Almost anything else with a side of gravy. Beef, beans, and bourbon. Gumbo, oyster poor boy and a beer. Rum and coke. Fried green tomatoes, potato salad, and cole slaw. Alabama Royal Red Shrimp. Barbecue pig roast, the whole pig.

In case you can't tell, I am from the Glorious South.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'm not sure how I forgot about this but, poutine! Love me some of that.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I had jambalaya once and I thought it smelled like dirty dishwater.

Sal
a reply to: StallionDuck

Hands down...

Cajun!

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

And that is a problem why???

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Yea, but stealing makes it sound more badass.

Good point.

We stole it. All of it.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Man, that's what I mean. Here you have to select a restaurant if you want to taste real Italian cuisine. In Italy, good food is all over.

I have had more bad Italian meals in Rome than I had in the United States. In the New York City area there are a tremendous amount of really good Italian restaurants.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

You're missing a bunch of good stuff I'm afraid. But if you've never been to Poland nor grown up Polish it's to be expected you wouldn't know.
edit on 1-11-2017 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

By comparison - my response of Lebanese food versus the votes here for Cajun food - there is quite literally a Lebanese restaurant on almost every main road in Baton Rouge. So even Cajuns can't get enough of Lebanese food.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

You must have some awesome recipes. I have a few good recipes, but admittedly I cut corners. I enjoy making the roux, though. I knew a cajun once who had recipes from the bayou, and oh boy...

Hey, how about that dinner? lol

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I have a hard time with this. There are so many true, authentic foods we have had, since all have been cross-culturized.

I would say Italian and Mexican, because I love both, and eat them frequently; however, what we eat here as Mexican is not authentic Mexican but Americanized Mexican (and even Mexicans I know say it is *not* like what they eat at home), and the same is generally true about Italian, I guess.

So maybe Am is correct, American food. It takes all cuisines and makes it its own...

Can I choose just wine, salad, and fish?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc
a reply to: the owlbear

You're missing a bunch of good stuff I'm afraid. But if you've never been to Poland nor grown up Polish it's to be expected you wouldn't know.

By all means, please enlighten us as to Polish cuisine.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Canning, pickling, brining, preserving.

Wild game from grouse to elk, bear to squirrel.

Fish, oh all the fish.

Shellfish galore.

Pastries and doughs, Northern or southern made with with leaf lard or suet.

Fresh fruit, fresh vegetables. The America’s have amazing spices too.

Vanilla.

Smoking, grilling......

From the cascade mountains to the bayou.

The United States is a huge country. It is a melting pot of cuisine and it’s not yet finished defining itself.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I'll take the Finnish diet, pasties and soups and roast and potatoes. I don't get along with tomatoes well, I also do not like green or other peppers much. I like soups and stews and pasties and baked chicken. I am pretty much all Finn and I do best with foods that my ancestors ate, at least the same recipes they have been passing on for a hundred years or so.

I do not like coffee that you can stand a spoon up in though.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Man, that's what I mean. Here you have to select a restaurant if you want to taste real Italian cuisine. In Italy, good food is all over.

I have had more bad Italian meals in Rome than I had in the United States. In the New York City area there are a tremendous amount of really good Italian restaurants.

Well, I always thought Rome is overrated.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join