It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNC: White men shouldn't apply for tech jobs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: IAMTAT

What if there are perfectly qualified candidates who are none of those things?

You also seem to be making the assumption that we automatically believe that a straight white male will be the best one for the job. We don't. None of us know that. We just know that the best chance of finding the best employee to do a job lies in opening the door to the most applications, and if you refuse application on something stupid as skin color or sexual orientation, then you aren't getting the most applications from the most candidates.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
From Find Law

in the context of civil rights law, unlawful discrimination refers to unfair or unequal treatment of an individual (or group) based on certain characteristics, including:

Ethnicity
National origin
Race,
Religion, and
Sexual orientation.

The actual email-

Seems as though the law was broken. Discrimination is and ugly thing no matter who the victims are.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

“The email in question was not authorized by the DNC nor was it authorized by senior leadership," spokesman Michael Tyler told Fox News. "All hiring decisions at the DNC are made consistent with the DNC’s commitment to equal employment opportunity and hiring an inclusive and talented staff that reflects the coalition of the Democratic Party, because our diversity is our greatest strength.

Did you include this quote from the article in your post, I think not

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 1-11-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

What if the best candidate is a POC? Hire him or her.

Unless you are being willfully obtuse, this should have answered that question.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I'd be willing to bet you that of all the candidates out there, there is more than one "most qualified" candidate. I'd also be willing to bet that of that shorter list of "most qualified", there are some straight white guys, and some women, and some gay guys, and some non-white guys.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I'd be willing to bet you that of all the candidates out there, there is more than one "most qualified" candidate. I'd also be willing to bet that of that shorter list of "most qualified", there are some straight white guys, and some women, and some gay guys, and some non-white guys.

So it seems to me that diversity and checking off boxes is more important to you than having the best people you can find filling the job position?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Maybe they should use, I don't know, Pakistanis... Wait they already did that...lol

edit on 1-11-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Again, you evade answering.

One more time:
So if the most qualified candidate just happens to be white, male or straight...he shouldn't get the job?
You're okay with discriminating against him?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
How has the Democratic National Committee’s hiring team not been fired or prosecuted for these racist remarks.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

That's a fair point. The person who sent it should be fired if they did it on their own. Clearly it's telling others to break the law and discriminate illegally based on gender and sexual orientation.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The ones who came up with the brilliant idea, knowing it would go public and have people crying in faux outrage.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: ketsuko

The ones who came up with the brilliant idea, knowing it would go public and have people crying in faux outrage.

Calling out blatant race, gender and sexual orientation discrimination is "faux outrage"?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I don't believe there is such a thing as "THE most qualified candidate", especially in the tech field where there are many, many people available to choose from. I have hired lots of people, and most times, I have found multiple people who are most qualified. From there, I make my decision based on other reasons.

Even if she didn't say what she did in the email, there's nothing stopping her from hiring a qualified lesbian over a qualified white guy. Now, if the tech department only had lesbians working there and no one else, I'd say there was some discrimination going on. Sounds to me like there are mostly straight white guys working there right now.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
So apologists for this DNC hiring practice would also have no problem with any company's hiring staff sending out an email to its employees looking to recruit people for open spots, that says: "Don't hire any gays, women or African-Americans."

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

It would depend on why. If it's because they think that gays, African Americans and women are stupid and inferior and have cooties, then I would have a problem. If it's because 95% of their company is already African American or gay or women and they would like to have a more diverse company, then no I don't have a problem with it.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

...and?

Do you see a problem with hiring the right person? Period, full stop. Merely the right person. Irregardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, color of skin, religion, and any number of other supposed qualifiers.

Why is that a problem?
edit on 11/1/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace

That's a reasonable question. I wonder what the answer would be?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Have you ever based who you hire on any of the following?
Ethnicity
National origin
Race,
Religion, and
Sexual orientation.

For a small business that does not matter but for a business with enough employees, it is not legal.

I know employers break that law all the time, but it does not excuse bigotry in hiring. Discrimination is ugly no matter the victim of it.

Are you defending the blatant, intended act of discrimination by the person who sent the email?

link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Nice to know they count the school board as important as Dog catcher...

I'll stop now.

link   

It would depend on why. If it's because they think that gays, African Americans and women are stupid and inferior and have cooties, then I would have a problem. If it's because 95% of their company is already African American or gay or women and they would like to have a more diverse company, then no I don't have a problem with it.

Thats not the way it works...

You do not discriminate when it comes to hiring you hire who you feel will best fit in the position, you cannot disqualify as per the list Blaine linked.

How many of what color, religion, sexual orientation already on staff does not trump the law.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join