It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A profound tweet I read today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: jimmyx

...shall not be infringed

Tanks? Missiles? Class A explosives? Where do you draw the line?

The idea the founding fathers wanted to express is the Public should be at least as well armed as the gubment, because standing armies are the tool used by gubment to suppress the people.

If you have a problem with that look at every single riot in US history, The "National Guard" (army) always being called out to restore "Order".

Originally, every town had a cannon, balls and powder in the town square to prevent the British (enemy without) or the gubment (enemy within) from 'taking over'.

Sadly this is a long forgotten concept of the second amendment. The cannons are inert, their barrels filled with concrete, the steel shot is welded together.

And every single military weapon is illegal to own nowadays. I guess we the people have to do whatever they say now, don't we...

Cannons in every town square

edit on 1-11-2017 by intrptr because: images

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: intrepid

They aren't facts either.

Is that a fact or your opinion?

Yes. No. I'm so confused.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: Gothmog

It's still good commentary on how people react to both events. In one case practically nothing. In the other case screams to action.

What are you talking about?

The day after the Las Vegas shooting I was already hearing proposals for certain types of gun control and security tech measures (like backscatter security scanners).

"BIGGER GOVERNMENT THAT NEEDS MORE POWER & MONEY TO SPEND TO KEEP US SAFE!"

THAT is always the mantra -- whether it's a brown murderer or a white one.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yes. No. I'm so confused.

Opinions can be false. Holocaust denial, for example, is an opinion, but is factually false.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Me personally? Could care less about outlawing bump stocks. ANyone who knows how to fire a gun knows that they aren't a solution to anything other than running out of ammo quicker.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Oh we're being serious. Sorry.

Yes, but are those actually opinions or propaganda?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

a reply to: dfnj2015

Opinions are not falsities.

Opinions can be false.

An opinion, by definition, cannot be false (or true for that matter)

Opinion Definition From Oxford Dictionary
edit on 1-11-2017 by Eshel because: remove double link

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I saw the exact opposite from Washington.

more lets give it time...

discussing options does not mean banning.

anyway, what I find more disturbing is trumps reaction to yesterdays horror and the Charlottesville horror. similar method and motive - completely different response.

edit on 1-11-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eshel
Opinion - Definition by Oxford Dictionary

Opinions can be false.

Eh, opinions can be weak, unsupported by evidence, and illogical...that's how I am reading what LM means by 'false.'

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Opinions can be based on false information. But the opinion itself cannot be false as it is a viewpoint held by a person or persons.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Opinions can be false.

Yes they can. If it is my opinion that the earth is made of chocolate, is that not true or false?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie

I saw the exact opposite from Washington.

more lets give it time... and, then nothing.

discussing options does not mean banning.

anyway, what I find more disturbing is trumps reaction to yesterdays horror and the Charlottesville horror. similar method and motive - completely different response.

Ok...so the Manhattan murders happened last night.

The OP is about the immediate reaction...not how an event is a catalyst for major changes that suit the fringe right wing whenever a 'brown person' is behind a mass murder.

The immediate reaction isn't different whether it's a brown murderer or a white one. It's always the same: "Let's look to government for solutions that will give them more power and more money to spend to make us safer!"

edit on 11/1/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: jimmyx

...shall not be infringed

as my American-born Japanese father-in-law after being imprisoned during world war 2, said.....I'll never vote in another election, the constitution was worthless to me when I needed it the most......I guess it just depends on who is doing the "infringing"

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Opinions can be false.

Yes they can. If it is my opinion that the earth is made of chocolate, is that not true or false?

It is not false. As someone who seems to enjoy picking apart somebody's linguistics on every thread, I would expect you to understand this.

The information you are basing your statement on is false. But your opinion is just that, your opinion. A person is entitled to their own opinion about anything. It can neither be true or false as it is viewed from the viewpoint of the opinion holder.

Please read definitions you do not understand. It is in my opinion that you did not read the definition nor know the true meaning of the word.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Is there any profound to be found on Twitter or any social media? Remember our motto here.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Eshel

It is not false. As someone who seems to enjoy picking apart somebody's linguistics on every thread, I would expect you to understand this.

The information you are basing your statement on is false. But your opinion is just that, your opinion. A person is entitled to their own opinion about anything. It can neither be true or false as it is viewed from the viewpoint of the opinion holder.

Please read definitions you do not understand. It is in my opinion that you did not read the definition nor know the true meaning of the word.

No one said that no one was entitled to false opinions. Your opinion is false. I did read the definition.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I have something to add to that:

Brown guy kills 8 with a truck: "WALLS! BANS! BARRICADES!"

White guy kills 59 with guns: "well what can you do"

Drug overdoses killed 64,070 people last year, "who cares"
edit on 1-11-2017 by JAGStorm because: spelling

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

No one said that no one was entitled to false opinions. Your opinion is false. I did read the definition.

See, you're wrong again. I understand it is difficult to accept.
I still believe you did not read it. That is my opinion. See how it did not change the facts?

My opinion cannot be false because it is mine. A person's viewpoint cannot be negated because you disagree with them. That is the sole reason there's so many arguments on politics, religion, etc. People are entitled to believe what they wish and that is their opinion.

Your opinion on this matter is that a person's sole belief can be wrong. Your opinion is false.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

See, you're wrong again. I understand it is difficult to accept.
I still believe you did not read it. That is my opinion. See how it did not change the facts?

My opinion cannot be false because it is mine. A person's viewpoint cannot be negated because you disagree with them. That is the sole reason there's so many arguments on politics, religion, etc. People are entitled to believe what they wish and that is their opinion.

Your opinion on this matter is that a person's sole belief can be wrong. Your opinion is false.

I did read the definition, therefore your opinion that I did not is utterly false. Even your claim that "An opinion, by definition, cannot be false (or true for that matter) ", is utterly false. The stupid argument that an opinion cannot be false because it is yours, is false, utterly so.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I have something to add to that:

Brown guy kills 8 with a truck: "WALLS! BANS! BARRICADES!"

White guy kills 59 with guns: "well what can you do"

Drug overdoses killed 64,070 people last year, "who cares"

People should be free to piss their life away.

That said, if we want to positively effect the drug problem in America we should start by making life a little less miserable.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join