It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A possible fix to our political system??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Come to Central Alabama, have a sit, and people watch for a while. Your eyes will be opened.

I have stated before that I am opposed to corporate welfare as well. Both are bad and should be reformed/eliminated.

I live in ms..

I have had friends on food stamps and welfare. I know the benefits offered.

Once on a job in Cincinnati I sat next to a thug playing blackjack betting 500$ and 100$ on the sucker bet. I have zero doubt he was dope boy, but I know better than to think that money came from the government.

I think it’s the biggest deflection ever..

“It’s the welfare queen scamming the system for 5,000$ a year who is the problem.. ignore the man behind the curtain giving his own oil company the rebuild contract for Iraq...”

I bet “no bid” rebuild contract for Iraq..

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

A common theme I see in those who are poor is poor decision making and financial management.

give this a read...

The Logic of Stupid Poor People

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

A common theme I see in those who are poor is poor decision making and financial management.

give this a read...

The Logic of Stupid Poor People

I have considered that aspect before, and I'm sure that it occurs in isolation, but that's not what I'm seeing. The people I see with these "status symbols" are not actively trying to better themselves, they are trying to keep up with the Joneses, just like every other shmuck in this society. In short, they ain't trying to use said status symbols as a way out of poverty, they're using them to "show out" for their peers.

Also, maybe next time try not to use a source that talks about or implies "white privilege" every other paragraph. It devalues the information, shows a clear bias, and adds unnecessary noise to the topic.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Also, maybe next time try not to use a source that talks about or implies "white privilege" every other paragraph. It devalues the information, shows a clear bias, and adds unnecessary noise to the topic.

lol

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

The people I see with these "status symbols" are not actively trying to better themselves, they are trying to keep up with the Joneses, just like every other shmuck in this society. In short, they ain't trying to use said status symbols as a way out of poverty, they're using them to "show out" for their peers.

The term I heard for it recently was "aspirational marketing." Selling expensive things they can't afford to poor people so they can not feel like such incredible, poverty infested losers.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

The people I see with these "status symbols" are not actively trying to better themselves, they are trying to keep up with the Joneses, just like every other shmuck in this society. In short, they ain't trying to use said status symbols as a way out of poverty, they're using them to "show out" for their peers.

The term I heard for it recently was "aspirational marketing." Selling expensive things they can't afford to poor people so they can not feel like such incredible, poverty infested losers.

They don't stop at poor people. It is definitely a shameful ( though legal ) practice. The "red-faced kid gimme it now" mentality is a pervasive issue throughout society.

Impulse control is bad across all income levels of society. Too many people "want it now", and don't consider the long term cost.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Such a well-reasoned response.

Seems like the author could have left out all references to race and made the same point. I'll sum it up:

( some ) Poor people buy luxuries in order to better their position in society, i.e. appear "normal." Some do it just to feel "normal".

See, it can easily be summed up without having to throw race into the mix.

Or are you saying that I, as a white man, can walk into an office and apply for a good paying job while wearing a T-shirt and blue jeans ( my everyday street clothes ) and expect to beat out other, more well-dressed and groomed candidates because of some "white privilege"?

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Or are you saying that I, as a white man, can walk into an office and apply for a good paying job while wearing a T-shirt and blue jeans ( my everyday street clothes ) and expect to beat out other, more well-dressed and groomed candidates because of some "white privilege"?

all i said was 'lol'

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join