It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A possible fix to our political system??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
We would be in a much better situation had a 7th grade school girl NOT been the head of the FBI...

Keeping a diary then leaking it through a Columbia law professor who read the notes aloud to a reporter is so completely absurd...

Jesus, we are witnessing a coup from a bunch of progressive, narcissistic, amoral lawyers...

Oops, I said ‘jesus’...sorry to the ATS members who are triggered

-Chriz

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
only giving votes to people who pay taxes is a terrible idea.

you might as well say whole states shouldn't vote, if they receive more federal money than they pay in taxes.

that would be mostly red states, by the way.
edit on 1-11-2017 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

You forgot to mention ending Union personhood while you are at it.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The only one I disagree with is the first, but only because he didn't mention unions along with corporations. Unions are just as bad about election money laundering and pandering.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Plenty of retired people pay taxes. Ever heard of capital gains?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
only giving votes to people who pay taxes is a terrible idea.

How about home and/or land owners?
You will know your whole life that if you want to ever have a say in then work your tail off to get an education and contribute to society...

Is it fair that I pay $17,000 annually for property taxes which fund my city, including public schools while apartment renters pay nothing??
Especially the decade plus I payed when I didn’t have a kid in school...

-Chris

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
Is it fair that I pay $17,000 annually for property taxes which fund my city, including public schools while apartment renters pay nothing??
-Chris

yes. we all pay taxes for things we don't use. even people who rent.

the days of the landed gentry are over. if you want to put everyone else into the serf class i suggest you get to work on your time machine.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

-Chris

yes. we all pay taxes for things we don't use. even people who rent.

the days of the landed gentry are over. if you want to put everyone else into the serf class i suggest you get to work on your time machine.

Is it fair that someone who takes endlessly out of the system I am forced to pay more and more and more into gets an equal say into how that money I pay and they take from is allocated?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Is it fair that I pay $17,000 annually for property taxes which fund my city, including public schools while apartment renters pay nothing?? Especially the decade plus I payed when I didn’t have a kid in school...

You should want to pay more, since you have more invested in making your community a better place. Besides, nothing is stopping you from moving into an apartment. Go ahead. Show The Man where to stick it!

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Is it fair that someone who takes endlessly out of the system I am forced to pay more and more and more into gets an equal say into how that money I pay and they take from is allocated?

yes. otherwise we'd just let millionaires vote and you would also be screwed.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Is it fair that I pay $17,000 annually for property taxes which fund my city, including public schools while apartment renters pay nothing?? Especially the decade plus I payed when I didn’t have a kid in school...

You should want to pay more, since you have more invested in making your community a better place. Besides, nothing is stopping you from moving into an apartment. Go ahead. Show The Man where to stick it!

The point is that I am being forced to pay more. People who have no inkling of what tax burden means are voting for more programs from Uncle Sugar, and I am the one being bit in the pocket book for things I cannot use, do not want, and don't need.

It all adds up and pretty soon, I am unable to actually provide for my family the things we do want, can use, and actually do need because we've been collectivized into paying for all your stuff.

And I haven't noticed any improvement, just more greed.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What civilization in history has not had worthless citizens that they have taken care of???

Ever??

By that logic we should just be executing anyone too old to still work. Why pay for them when they can no longer help out too??

That’s ridiculous and in the realm of rainbows and unicorns..

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
The point is that I am being forced to pay more.

And my point is that nobody is forcing you to do anything. Did somebody force you to get married and have children? More than one?
Let people complain enough, and the reasons why they did it to themselves become clear.
Maybe one of these Halloweens we'll read a story about you "mysteriously vanishing" without a trace.
edit on 1-11-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: cynicalheathen

What?!!

So I guess 18 year olds and those who are retired can’t vote???

I started paying taxes at 15 yo, when I had to actually go and get a job to buy things I wanted. Mommy and Daddy didn't pay for my things, I earned them.

Every single retired person I know still pays taxes in some form.

The hanging part is nuts too as well as forfeiting your estate.. that is just begging to be used for profit.

Why? It's really easy to honor your oath. Besides, hanging is the traditional punishment for traitors.

I'd like to add an item:

- Any and all legislation must clearly cite the clause of the Constitution that grants Congress the authority to pass that legislation.
edit on 11-1-2017 by cynicalheathen because: Fixed quote tag

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Well, you know you can always pay more taxes voluntarily. Put your money where your mouth is.

It's always easy to spend other people's money.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I pay taxes, a millionaire pays taxes. We each get one vote.

How does that equate "just letting millionaires vote"?

In the vein of having skin in the game, how about this:

- Require every legislator who votes for war to send their eldest child to a frontline combat position for the duration of the war. If the legislator doesn't have children, the legislator has to go themselves.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
Well, you know you can always pay more taxes voluntarily. Put your money where your mouth is.
It's always easy to spend other people's money.

I'm not the one complaining. My taxes are just about right for my situation. It just seems to me that if you choose to buy a house and raise a family in a particular community, that is how you decided to invest your life and the lives of your family members. Otherwise, it sounds like somebody wants more money to buy a bigger truck or a boat, so screw schools and stop signs and clean water and police. Way to support the community.

Want more money? Don't choose a life that costs so much.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

ketsuko implied that since she puts in more money she should have more say. i suggested that if that was followed to its logical conclusion we would only let the richest vote.

hope that clarifies my post for you.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

ketsuko implied that since she puts in more money she should have more say. i suggested that if that was followed to its logical conclusion we would only let the richest vote.

hope that clarifies my post for you.

I read it as she's frustrated that takers who contribute nothing get an equal say in how the money in the pot is used.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Imagine this:

You are a homeowner, you pay all the bills for the household and support your family.

Your buddy Bob needs a place to stay. Bob is a good guy with a heart of gold, so you give him a place to stay for a while, just to get on his feet.

Bob starts adding to your costs. Your food bill goes up, your power bill goes up, your water bill goes up. All the while Bob contributes nothing to your income.

Months go by. Bob has his friends come over while you're at work and they eat your food, play your Playstation, and make a mess ( which they don't clean up. ) You confront Bob about his behavior and tell him he needs to get a job. Bob says that *you're* ungrateful, and need to chill out, he's trying.

It comes to a head and you want Bob out. The local sheriff says Bob is now a tenant, even though he doesn't pay a dime. You can't kick Bob out without spending a bunch of money and time ( that you don't have ) in court and on a lawyer getting an unlawful detainer to kick Bob out. Meanwhile, in the months it takes to get that done, Bob continues to drain your resources, wreck your house, and your hands are tied to stop him from doing so.

How long are you gonna let Bob hang around and control your resources before you kick him out? How are you gonna feel towards Bob after he costs you a bunch of money and keeps running the bill up? Was it worth being nice to Bob in hindsight, or should Bob have fended for himself from the beginning?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join