It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A possible fix to our political system??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Everyone says that our political system is screwed and almost impossible to fix and their right!!! Or atleast maybe half right...

I mean come on, pay for play and insider trading are legal... I think that says it all.

I think I may have stumbled onto a fix, one I doubt I am the first to come up with, but here goes.

We have got to stop legalized bribes.. these idiots take money from big donars and them instantly legislate over those donars to their benefits.

I think the real fix would be to set a cap on donations to political parties.

Every voting age American gets 100$ per race to donate and besides their salaries, that is the only profit they can make.

Just imagaine that. How much a politician can raise gets inherently tied to how many supporters they have....

No one politician with very little support being the loudest voice in the room. There ability to campaign being tied to the number of supporters they have.

That just seems to make an insane amount of sense..I bet under that system all our political problems would work their own way out within a generation or two, max!

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
No # Sherlock.

Try starting with that Republican travesty called Citizens United.
You know the one where ,,, corporations are people & money equals speech.

K~
edit on 1-11-2017 by aethertek because: Sorry mods, glad that auto-converts. I'll know next time.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Huh. Stop lobbyists from being able to buy votes.

What a novel concept.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Everyone says that our political system is screwed and almost impossible to fix and their right!!! Or atleast maybe half right...

I mean come on, pay for play and insider trading are legal... I think that says it all.

I think I may have stumbled onto a fix, one I doubt I am the first to come up with, but here goes.

We have got to stop legalized bribes.. these idiots take money from big donars and them instantly legislate over those donars to their benefits.

I think the real fix would be to set a cap on donations to political parties.

Every voting age American gets 100$ per race to donate and besides their salaries, that is the only profit they can make.

Just imagaine that. How much a politician can raise gets inherently tied to how many supporters they have....

No one politician with very little support being the loudest voice in the room. There ability to campaign being tied to the number of supporters they have.

That just seems to make an insane amount of sense..I bet under that system all our political problems would work their own way out within a generation or two, max!

Since when is insider trading legal?

Ps. I do agree corporations and lobby groups should not be allowed to donate. They have waaaay too much influence already.
edit on 1-11-2017 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
More than two parties would help as well.

Let the Republicans split into Trump/TeaParty and Classic!Republican.

Likewise let the Democrats split into Center-Right-Flavor and CrazySanders.

Then you'd have 4 parties, and the LIbertarians would have a sensible shot at winning seats too. And you'd have a political spectrum that far better represented the interests of the people.

It's utterly bizarre that a country of how many hundred million people? Could possibly be represented by just two parties.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
good ideas so far... how about term limits for senators, and not allowing congress to vote themselves fat raises every year while they screw the rest of us over?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Let me give you a quick insight. An American came up with " no taxation without representation".
Now the emphasis for you now is representation. Oh yes, you have a house of representatives but they don't represent you do they. They represent themselves.
Therein lies your problem, you keep voting in the same pigs to feed at the trough. Vote someone in who represents YOU not some other entity that controls them with back handers.
I know this hard to do because the ones already in power control the process. But in a democracy it's still possible to alter that.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

what a terrible idea. How long would it be before the city folk voted in folks that screwed over the guys out int he country providing food and textiles to everyone else?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The people in power have absolutely NO interest in giving you power. If you want power you will have to earn it.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

We do not have a democracy. The people who count the votes decide the election. The cabal of billionaires own the people who count the votes.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

It's not illegal for members of Congress to use information they get as part of their duties even if not in public domain.

I believe this may have or be in the process of getting changed.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

No matter what solution you come up with people will game the system for their benefit.

The problems with our country are NOT rocket science. The lobbyists force the politicians to pass laws creating cartels and monopolies in exchange for campaign financing. The lobbyists own the politicians. The CEOs and billionaires own the lobbyists.

Here's a quote from an 1936 FDR speech with regards to the role of government and economic equality in this country:

An old English judge once said: 'Necessitous men are not free men.' Liberty requires opportunity to make a living - a living decent according to the standard of the time, a living which gives man not only enough to live by, but something to live for.

For too many of us the political equality we once had won was meaningless in the face of economic inequality. A small group had concentrated into their own hands an almost complete control over other people's property, other people's money, other people's labor - other people's lives. For too many of us life was no longer free; liberty no longer real; men could no longer follow the pursuit of happiness.

Against economic tyranny such as this, the American citizen could appeal only to the organized power of government.

Against economic tyranny such as this, the American citizen could appeal only to the organized power of government.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
- End corporate personhood. If it can't bleed or die, it is not legally a person and therefore has no rights

- No representation without taxation. If your net taxes at the end of the year are negative or zero, you have no right to vote.

- No raises or changes in benefits in Congress until the last member voting for that particular change permanently retires or resigns.

- Swift and immediate hanging for any violation of their oaths, in public, and their possessions are forfeit to the state.

- If a budget goes over what is taken in by revenue, the politicians are legally required to make up the difference out of pocket.

Oh, and dfnj2015, we are a Republic, not a democracy. Please stop using that term.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

It's not illegal for members of Congress to use information they get as part of their duties even if not in public domain.

I an extremely doubtful of this, do you have any sources? I'm sure it happens all the time, simply doubting it's legality.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
- End corporate personhood. If it can't bleed or die, it is not legally a person and therefore has no rights

- No representation without taxation. If your net taxes at the end of the year are negative or zero, you have no right to vote.

- No raises or changes in benefits in Congress until the last member voting for that particular change permanently retires or resigns.

- Swift and immediate hanging for any violation of their oaths, in public, and their possessions are forfeit to the state.

- If a budget goes over what is taken in by revenue, the politicians are legally required to make up the difference out of pocket.

Oh, and dfnj2015, we are a Republic, not a democracy. Please stop using that term.

Jesus...usually people listing things like this out put out some stupid ideas.

THis, however...fantastic. Bullet point 2, in particular, is critical to the survivability of our nation.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I an extremely doubtful of this, do you have any sources? I'm sure it happens all the time, simply doubting it's legality.

Looks like was legal up until 2012.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/STOCK_Act

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

It is...

Obama made a show of fixing it, then they held a back room deal that reinstated the ability for politicians to do that...

Honestly this is why I barely buy other money related conspiracies. If you can pay for play and insider trade legally. Why would you ever make money any other way.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot
Obama undid that in a back room deal.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

What?!!

So I guess 18 year olds and those who are retired can’t vote???

That’s crazy..

I actually think under the system I mentioned you could relax the standards..

If your family isn’t active, you can donate for them. You still need a SS number to donate, but it need not be yours.

The hanging part is nuts too as well as forfeiting your estate.. that is just begging to be used for profit.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I don't see where it's any better or worse than any other political system. There's just so much money involved these days. I don't see how anybody is going to change the fact that lawmakers are making decisions involving billions of dollars in assorted contracts. That's bound to twist anything out of shape.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join