It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Kelly was right: The Civil War was all about compromise

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

originally posted by: Grambler

And history shows that compromises were set in place for the North and South to come to an agreement, just as OP has brought to the table, but the south weren't having it because of their barbaric out dated ideology of slavery in a functioning society.

This question is to Southern Guardian also.

So what you are saying is that there were attempted compromises, but the fact that the south wouldnt compromise made the war necessary?

There was a declaration of secession based off up holding the institution of slavery.
Lincoln didn't turn a blind eye and just said, o well. He attempted to keep the union in tact, and he meant it through what ever means necessary. The south just moved things along a little quicker with Fort Sumter, and fortified that they weren't going to stop when it became more of a siege rather than just a move of aggression.

I will admit to being a novice when it comes to the study of the civil war.

What steps did lincoln take before the war to try and keep the Union together.

Did he offer any compromises with the south that were rejected?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

It was not just Lincoln who made all the decisions you know. He was only a small part of attempting to prevent secession.

One scenario that comes to mind is after the Mexican war large amounts of land were acquired, and the debate of slavery was a huge topic, whether it should be allowed or not.
It ended up coming to a compromise to keep the south happy, letting them keep slavery or let them choose, California was chosen to be a free state.

But, as said twice in this thread the confederacy was a long time coming and ongoing issue even before Lincoln was born. It was a consistent lack of compromise from the south because of one thing, and one thing only. I sound like a broken record, but to up hold the institution of slavery.
edit on 1-11-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

It was a consistent lack of compromise from the south because of one thing, and one thing only. I sound like a broken record, but to up hold the institution of slavery.

Ok.

Tjen what Kelly said was true. There was a lack of compromise which made the war happen.

It was the south that wouldnt compromise, fair enough.

How is Kellys statement then being made to seem like he is suggesting slavery shouldnt have been abolished?

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

It was a consistent lack of compromise from the south because of one thing, and one thing only. I sound like a broken record, but to up hold the institution of slavery.

Ok.

Tjen what Kelly said was true. There was a lack of compromise which made the war happen.

It was the south that wouldnt compromise, fair enough.

How is Kellys statement then being made to seem like he is suggesting slavery shouldnt have been abolished?

When did he say this or suggest this?

If you are basing it off historical facts that the south were a bunch of cry babies going off on temper tantrums when they didn't get their way, then yes, you can twist his logic that not coming to a compromise would lead to war, or lead to the Confederacy flourish with slavery; not that it would anyways.

The bottom line is, the civil war happened because of lack of compromises between the north and south, and it all lead back to one thing, slavery. Instead of the south coming to a compromise with pretty much the entire civilized world by abolishing slavery or at least ease into it, they just simply out right denied every scenario proposed. They wanted it, and they would die for it, very American, but for all the wrong reasons.
In today's fragile political correctness of course people are going to take the worst of Kelly's words. Because look what's happening, people mention the civil war and and all that comes to mind is SLAVERY OF BLACK PEOPLE, instant negative thoughts, I just think he used a terrible example that's all.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Oh man I agree.

I just think that its ridiculous that people are somehow implying he is racist for saying the war came from a lack of compromise.

Like when Ben carson said slaves were immigrants and many of the same people screaming about Kellys comments today were screaming at Ben carson.

Only they had no problem with Obama saying the exact same thing years earlier.

This is merely a thinnly veiled attack on Trumps team; nothing more.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Lincoln never got much of a chance. He was elected in Nov. 1860, by the end of the year S. Carolina seceded. Before Lincoln was inaugurated in March 1861, 6 more states had joined S. Carolina.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
good thread, OP. thanks for putting all that together.

between this and his statements trying to cover trump's butt on his gold star widow call, it's hard to take kelly seriously at this point.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
#bushdidthecivilwar

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Only they had no problem with Obama saying the exact same thing years earlier

Plenty of people had a problem with it, quite a few of our democrats on ATS made it known that it was a bone headed thing to say.

This is merely a thinnly veiled attack on Trumps team; nothing more.

SG didn't attack Trump or Kelly at all, she discussed what he said that the civil war was about compromises.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

AH yes...

The redneck revisionist "War of Northern Agression" line of propaganda...

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

I want referncing SG.

I meant those on the media that have been focusing on this

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
"Kelly is as bad as the guy he serves." - quote: Paul Krugman - And I can't concur with Paul more...

John Kelly might want to read Lincoln's Cooper Union Speech on the possibility of compromise with slaveholders.

www.abrahamlincolnonline.org...
edit on 1-11-2017 by Erno86 because: deleted an added a word

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join