It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Presidential Chopper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Looks as if Marine 1 is getting a fleet upgrade!

It appears as if the Navy has selected US101 from LockHeed Martin to start the program for the new Presidential Chopper.

Linky

Opinions?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think it was the right choice, it looks more fitting for a President then Sikorsky's VH-92.

It's a nice helo.

But why do they need 23 of them? That seems a bit much.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You need multiple ones because some will be in maint/overhaul, some are used for VIP transport ie. VP etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
You need multiple ones because some will be in maint/overhaul, some are used for VIP transport ie. VP etc.

Yeah, but 23! I think 12 would do.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
we should have like 1566445446 of them one for each citizen

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Yeah, but 23! I think 12 would do.

They do have a pretty good scope and if you factor in the cabinet then you need a bunch, but your right 23 does seem excessive.

B. TASKS

(1) PROVIDE HELICOPTER TRANSPORTATION FOR THE PRESIDENT
OF THE UNITED STATES, VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES,
MEMBERS OF THE PRESIDENT'S CABINET AND FOREIGN DIGNITARIES AS
DIRECTED BY THE DIRECTOR, WHMO.

(2) PROVIDE HELICOPTER EMERGENCY EVACUATION SUPPORT FOR
THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED
STATES, AND OTHER PERSONNEL/AGENCIES AS DIRECTED BY THE DIRECTOR,
WHMO.
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
However, I will be happy if they get rid of that butt ugly paint job

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
However, I will be happy if they get rid of that butt ugly paint job
Fat chance

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I agree, its time to ditch the dull green color, I would prefer a blue pearl, and have put a cool looking eagle on the side with a airbrush. You know more what I mean if you have seen ghost flames on a car before.
and maybe some silver pearl or metalic silver somewhere on it. I just figure if your gonna spend our money on your transportation.....do it in style.

But given the fact its the Marines, it will most likely stay there green color.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
One of the reasons they have so many is that it makes things much more flexable security wise. If there's 20 odd helicopters, and you've got one bomb to put on just one, which one do you go for?

It's typical smothering protection, though. That's the way the Americans do things.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
One of the reasons they have so many is that it makes things much more flexable security wise. If there's 20 odd helicopters, and you've got one bomb to put on just one, which one do you go for?

It's typical smothering protection, though. That's the way the Americans do things.

I'm sure there are other factors to this.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
You're probably aware that Lockmard didn't design or build the "US101"; it is, in its American livery, the Westland (now Augusta Westland) EH-101, an outstanding UK/Italy design.

Westland (before their merger with Augusta) was also building the WAH-64, a McDonnell Douglas (before their merger with Boeing) design.

There was talk of a return-licensing agreement where MD would produce the EH and call it the MD-101. At the time, MD had three lines of helicopters, the Apache, the MD5xx/6xx (an evolution of the Hughes LOH from Vietnam) and the MD900, a 6-8 passenger twin turbine with the NOTAR system. They didn't have any civil helicopter design big enough to compete with the Sikorsky S-92, UH/60 and variants or even the Bell 410. They figured that this would be a possible way to round out their product line on the cheap.

But it didn't turn out that way; maybe the market forecasters didn't see a large enough niche for it. I remember seeing an EH-101, though, tricked out in MD livery, called the MD-101.

Of course, after the merger with Boeing, the joint company already had a heavy-lift helicopter in the CH-47 and a big piece of the V22.

Still, it would've been nice....

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

Originally posted by DeltaNine

I'm sure there are other factors to this.

Shattered OUT...

Hence the "one of the reasons" bit in my original post maybe?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I read somewhere (not sure where sorry) that if the President is going abroad then often one or two are flown or shipped out ahead of the president so that upon arrival it is there and waiting incase of security problems or if he is too lazy. If you bear in mind that the President may go to quite a few countries then quite a few helicopters are required. Still that is a little excess, is that just an American thing excess?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I also read somewhere that when the President is on Marine 1 there are several exactly like it in the air at the same time and only a select few know which one he is on.. of course only one lands at the white house, but you will see several just like it in the air.. I guess this makes the odds a bit better for the president if someone tries to attack the aircraft in some way??

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Yup, Gazz, same concept as the limos.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be funny if they did it with Air Force 1?

And is there a Navy 1? Does he have is own big ass naval warship colored in blue?

Shattered OUT...

top topics

join