It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook, Twitter: Russian actors sought to undermine Trump after election

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Top lawyers from Facebook and Twitter said Tuesday that Russian-linked posts and advertisements placed on the social networks after Election Day sought to sow doubt about President Donald Trump's victory.

Facebook general counsel Colin Stretch told a Senate Judiciary panel that content generated by a Russian troll farm known as the Internet Research Agency after Nov. 8 centered on “fomenting discord about the validity of his [Trump’s] election.” That's a change from Russia's pre-election activity, which was largely centered on trying to denigrate Hillary Clinton, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said in a January report.

www.politico.com...

Uh Oh.

Many people have told me that any talking about possible corruption of Hillary was playing into russias hands and being an unamerican or a traitor.

Now we see Russia is currently trying to undermine Trump.

So I guess all of the people that warned me of spreading Russia propaganda for looking at Hillarys corruption will also have to stop criticizing Trump; cause that means they are being a traitor working for Russia.

edit on 31-10-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

So you are saying that the anti-Trumpers were actually Russian shills and bots .

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I've been saying for some time they didn't have a dog in the fight. They played both sides just to undermine America.... And it's working.

Its a huge point of contention between the two parties. Each side picks and chooses what parts to believe to fit their narrative.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

It's going to be real difficult telling the difference between the Russians and the Democrats shouting "Not my President."

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What a BombShell this is.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

So you are saying that the anti-Trumpers were actually Russian shills and bots .

Well apparently criticizing either trump or hillary now makes you a russian agent.

Or playing pokemon.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Well, good thing for Trump supporters that this is very fakes news, a big hoax and sad. Also, somebody told me that Twitter and Facebook trolls don't really influence people.

In all seriousness, this isn't surprising to me in the least. Discord in the US is good for Russia. The potential for this sort of asymmetrical information warfare is difficult to overstate, it's only going to get worse and I don't know that there's a damn thing we can do it about it except to hope that people smarten up.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The potential for this sort of asymmetrical information warfare is difficult to overstate, it's only going to get worse and I don't know that there's a damn thing we can do it about it except to hope that people smarten up.

Unless people can go back to open discussions and critical thinking, tribalism and group think will hold our country hostage.

This social media generation is going to make it harder though. There have been studies that show people are actually getting more closed minded because they pick like minded sources, friends, and other internet fathered information.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Well, good thing for Trump supporters that this is very fakes news, a big hoax and sad. Also, somebody told me that Twitter and Facebook trolls don't really influence people.

Yes, it is!!!

If you couldnt tell I put no stock in this having any meaningful effect, meaning I think that both claiming you are doing russias bidding for criticizing Hillary or Trump is ridiculous.

In all seriousness, this isn't surprising to me in the least. Discord in the US is good for Russia. The potential for this sort of asymmetrical information warfare is difficult to overstate, it's only going to get worse and I don't know that there's a damn thing we can do it about it except to hope that people smarten up.

The most clear example of russia being able to sow discord was the people that paid to get dirt from them in a dossier.

Far far more discord than them using facebook or pokemon.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I agree 100%. I think that the Internet in general has greatly facilitated our polarization for these exact reasons:

people are actually getting more closed minded because they pick like minded sources, friends, and other internet fathered information.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Wow...look at the common ground all the sudden!

Everyone say it together now...."Damn Russians!"

It wasn't that hard afterall, eh?

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

It doesn't have to, but unfortunately it's in human nature to allow ourselves to subconsciously narrow the paths we choose to go down.

I'm a very curious individual, I try to constantly look at new ideas, even if I disagree with someone or something it doesn't mean I can respect, admire and listen.

But the culture has to support that line of thinking, and currently it does not.

I can't count how many times I've pridefully said I'm independent and been told that I have no loyalty.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

doing russias bidding for criticizing Hillary or Trump is ridiculous.

I've never taken that position.

The most clear example of russia being able to sow discord was the people that paid to get dirt from them in a dossier.

I disagree completely. To me, the biggest effect the dossier has had to sow discord has been the pro-Trump narrative that the dossier is the root of everything anti-Trump.

Have you personally read it? Hell, I haven't even taken the time to read the whole thing closely. I've skimmed through it and searched on certain terms a few times — to respond to threads authored by Trump supporters about the dossier. I don't know anyone IRL who has read it. I don't get the impression that many people on ATS have read it. The only thing that really ever trended on Twitter was the golden shower thing and as far as I can tell, most people didn't take that seriously — it was just fun to troll Trump supporters with.

The pro-Trump segment of the GOP has really been hammering the base with the notion that the "Russia narrative" is "based on the dossier." They've made the dossier more important than it ever was to the average person on the Left or independent, like waaaay more important. It's the source of the "Russia narrative," they used it to get the FISA warrant for Manafort (who is a Kremlin shill but only through 2014 and definitely not during his "very limited role" in the Trump campaign) and of course it proves that no matter what, Clinton is "real colluder!"

To me? That's all bull#. When did you ever see me make a thread about anything that was in the dossier? Ever? Yet I've authored dozens of threads about Trump before and after the election and I didn't find any use for it.

I think it's biggest influence is as an object of right-wing pro-Trump rhetoric and that's got nothing to do with the Russians.

edit on 2017-10-31 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I have read the dossier.

We know it was shopped to the media, the FBI, and else where.

We hear the claims from that dossier constantly.

The Russians were able to directly pass information to sow discord to the american media and FBI, regardless of rather or not it is true.

But please, show me the other sources that all of the russians stories are coming from.

I am open to seeing them.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
And wouldn't it be fitting if both Trump and Hillary were in bed with the Russians. Draining the swamp might require cleaning out the entire government.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm not surprised - the propaganda being perpetuated by the Internet Research Agency is more interested in sowing discord in the U.S. than helping out Republicans.

From the U.S. intelligence agencies, we have learned that Russia was trying to get Trump elected, although we also know that the Internet Research Agency has portrayed itself as both liberal and conservative Facebook groups in order to radicalize both sides and divide America.

Hopefully, both conservatives and liberals realize that this kind of misinformation and manipulation campaign by Russia is detrimental to our country.

Thanks for using legitimate sources, O.P., and not garbage.
edit on 31pmTue, 31 Oct 2017 20:24:55 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

you managed to flip this into Trump's favor relative to Hillary...

you have got to get into the Guinness book.

but is the subversion of Russia into American politics 'real' now, since it involves another candidate....
I thought it was all fake news and Russia is our friend or it's all a 'narrative'

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Has anybody seen or hopefully screenshot any of these provoking ads ?

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Well Russian trolls aren't going to keep Mueller & crew from finding all that dirty Russian money Trump has been laundering for years.

K~

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

How about you just keep an eye on what Russian trolls are pushing, and not enthusiastically push it as well?

I mean, it's not like Russia is paying Americans to help their propaganda efforts...

...Or are they, and I didn't get an invite?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join