It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coastal erosion, can it destroy land?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I was just wondering with coastal erosion and all that, will our continents eventually be gone? like eaten away by the tides? Because I saw this old map and Africa was WAY bigger than it is on nowadays maps.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Costal Erosion is eroding land so seems possible that in 1,000,000's of years maybe all land will be gone.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
I was just wondering with coastal erosion and all that, will our continents eventually be gone? like eaten away by the tides? Because I saw this old map and Africa was WAY bigger than it is on nowadays maps.

Coastal erosion in some areas is usually balanced by build up of beaches in other areas. Also, plate tectonic and volcanic activities build new land.

Old maps of Africa were incorrect due to imprecise mapping technology.

E_T

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Coastal erosion can cause severe problems to islands and low areas but it doesn't remove all land.
But without plate tectonic and volcanic activity erosion would eventually even all altitude differences causing ocean to cover 100%. (althought they would be shallower)

And If you look any maps much older than say 300-400 years it will look entirely different.

new topics

top topics

join