It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical Record of Eclipse 3,200 Years Ago May Rewrite Pharaonic Era in Ancient Egypt

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

No, the folk stories in the americas are not related to that eclipse and are not about the same event.
Some are stories of ultra plinian eruptions and some are stories of celestial impact events.
Since an eclipse is a daytime event, and it was already night when the eclipse occured, it would not be dark any longer.

Research B. and B. Masse and their paper on south american mythology and its connection to volcanic and impact events

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The antikythera mechanism is from almost a thousand years AFTER this eclipse

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
a reply to: the2ofusr1

No, the folk stories in the americas are not related to that eclipse and are not about the same event.
That is, of course, assuming that this was an eclipse event. The descriptions clearly show that this was not simply an eclipse yet the OP article cherry picks the bits out of it to support an eclipse.
From the article;

a plausible alternative meaning is that the Sun and Moon stopped doing what they normally do: they stopped shining.
During a solar eclipse the Moon does not shine nor does it shine before and after because we are looking at its dark side.

Was there an annular solar eclipse in the right time frame for Joshua? There was, calculate the writers: on October 30, 1207 B.C.E., which is within the possible dates of Joshua's incursion into Canaan.
Give or take a couple hundred years I guess.

Having established that there was an annular eclipse on that day,
Nothing of the sort has been established. What day is being referred to here? Any one of over a 200 year period? It is rather a sloppy guess at best.

And the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day.…
Source
How does an eclipse last for a day? If they are not using the descriptions in their entirety then they are simply cherry picking what they want to make their proposition work. Not good science.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Just throwing this into the mix only because its about the same event as described in the bible but told in legends from different cultures at different places on the globe . Not sure it was a eclipse though .

I think its a very good post and quite pertinent to the subject of the biblical descriptions for the Sun and Moon standing still for a day. Not good at all for the eclipse theory though.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hey Blackmarketer

Interesting but not sure I would buy there mixing up that event with another one. I think that story came about because of a known human trait to believe times moves faster or slower or even stops during certain chaotic periods.

I had some unexpected explosions occur in a position I was occupying. It seemed to last - to my initial perception - for several minutes while in reality it happened in less than twenty seconds. 'Time had stood still' for me and several others, while a few others thought it was even shorter than the known length of 20 seconds.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I think that this idea of what was going on may be correct . People wrote things non-scientifically back those days. This means someone knew there was going to be an eclipse that day, it means they knew the cycles. There is a machine that was used to determine solar events found on a ship that predates this event. Maybe they had one of those tools or they knew someone who had that technology or knowledge.

I don't see how it means they knew there would be an eclipse.
After all, the recording of the incident occurred after the fact, and it's quite tricky to predict exactly where a solar eclipse will be visible on Earth's surface. It's true that some ancient civilizations might have observed eclipses long enough to note something like a Saros cycle

Saros Cycle is approximately 6585.3211 days, or 18 years, 11 days, 8 hours in length. One saros period after an eclipse, the Sun, Earth, and Moon return to approximately the same relative geometry, a near straight line, and a nearly identical eclipse will occur. The Moon will have the same phase and be at the same node and the same distance from the Earth. In addition, because the saros is close to 18 years in length (about 11 days longer), Earth will be nearly the same distance from the sun, and tilted to it in nearly the same orientation (same season). Given the date of an eclipse, one saros later a nearly identical eclipse can be predicted. Each total solar eclipse track looks similar to the previous one, but is shifted by 120 degrees westward. 
source
But that doesn't help predict when one will be visible. Note the last sentence in that quote.

Please note also that a lunar and solar eclipse can occur in the same month. In fact, it happened not long ago, two or three years ago.

Maybe both eclipses happened, and you get both the Moon and the Sun stopping shining in the spin-doctor version of the tale.

Harte
edit on 10/30/2017 by Harte because: of the wonderful things he does!

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

...No, the almighty God of the universe is perfectly willing to bring the entire Earth and Moon to a stop to help a Hebrew warlord win a relatively minor victory at Jericho.

More than likely, the supreme creator did not suspend the laws of physics nor the rules of motion/angular momentum... He did however allow a massive gravity-wave to hit our place in the cosmos so that a Time-Warp was created where the precession of time was halted as the Gravity Wave progressed through the waves peak-&-valley which was possibly 3 Earth hours long to our internal clock but not to the outside prompts like our shadows growing longer in an afternoon Sun
edit on th31150940340930432017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

As for the Sun Moon being frozen in the same position in the sky for a 'Day'..... a Day was 10-12 hours long or half of a 24 hour period our bodies know-of as a circadian rhythm cycle... my above hypothesis of a 3 hour duration of a gravity wave resulting in a Time Distortion would still be apt.... I suggest that the bodily functions of eating-drinking-pooping-taking a break after exertions were normal (but the Sun position didn't move) so a 3 hour stoppage of time flow might feel like a whole 'Day'....

PS did the soldiers of Joshua get overtime pay ?
edit on th31150940436430592017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
a reply to: rickymouse

The antikythera mechanism is from almost a thousand years AFTER this eclipse

I had read the article about this wrong back many months ago, I thought it was about 2100 BC but it was 2100 years ago. My bad.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

They are simply wrong and are grasping at straws, the bible say the sun stood still, it did not move not that the moon covered it or that the sky turned black as in an eclipse.
Do these people think the people of the ancient world had never seen or heard of an eclipse, even the cave men spent an inordinate amount of time watching the sky so I am afraid they are simply wrong.

Or maybe, that was the manner in which they described an eclipse every time they had seen one in the past. Because it was a literal translation of ancient terminology that predated the time that the passage was written. They used that wording because it was their translation of a much older descriptor for a solar eclipse.

Consider that there are other anomalies that can cause darkening of the sky, which all those people you described spending so much time watching the sky would know about too. They may not have realized the moon was covering the sun up, but they knew something was definitely happening that involved both celestial bodies.

They would need a certain terminology to describe it that would stand out separately from atmospheric conditions that would not be misinterpreted in the telling. Something that doesn't happen very often and therefore has earned a distinction. These people were primitive by modern standards, but they weren't stupid. They knew the sky didn't just get dark all the sudden. The sun stopped shining, just like they said it did. And it probably was regarded as a miracle, given the apparent circumstances.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Im not arguing here but maybe check out the "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance" here's a link to its description. www.biblestudytools.com...
Many many theologians use this book to help get a better understanding by looking at the root words and their original meaning. Remember that the bible has been translated several times in several different languages.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
That Haartz article I linked to is a mess, sorry I posted that, this article is much clearer on the subject:

A Biblical "Miracle" Could Be One of the First Documented Solar Eclipses

The researchers correlated an eclipse with two historiographic texts, the Hebrew bible and the ancient Egyptian Merneptah Stele - both seem to describe a celestial event (eclipse) and the stele also mentions a military campaign by "Israel" in Canaan. The bible interpretation has come to be read as the sun and moon "standing still", but as authors point out, it used a root word that in Babylon meant eclipse.

"But going back to the original Hebrew text, we determined that an alternative meaning could be that the Sun and Moon just stopped doing what they normally do: they stopped shining. This interpretation is supported by the fact that the Hebrew word translated 'stand still' has the same root as a Babylonian word used in ancient astronomical texts to describe eclipses."

The stele places the Israelites in Canaan during the reign of Merneptah (thought to be 1213-1203 BC.), in which he claims to have defeated them in his fifth year. The eclipse is calculated to have occurred on Oct. 30 1207. The lengths of a pharaohs reign are not contested, but the exact year their reign begins are much harder to determine.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is not strongly related, but this paper of the bronze age collapse in the 13th cent. is very good, and adds some context to the time period.

Attracted by the apparent “historicity” of the Egyptian inscriptions, much
scholarly energy has been devoted to the identity of the Land and Sea Peoples. The
names of the various groups or tribes recorded by the inscriptions include: Sherden
(or Shardana), Shekelesh, Teresh, Denyen, Peleset, Tjeker, Lukka. These names are
tantalisingly reminiscent of names more familiar from Classical Greek and Roman
myth and history: Sardinians, Sicilians, Etruscans, Danaans (Greeks), Philistines,
Teucrians (Minoan Cretans), Lycians. Scholars have had much fun creating scenarios
whereby these names, and the events associated with them, can be used to explain the
foundation and origin myths of later peoples.
Within all these narratives, which emphasise the Eastern Mediterranean focus
of events, there has been little satisfactory explanation for just WHY it all happened.
Localised sociopolitical stresses and regional economic or environmental factors all
clearly contributed to the flow of events. They allow scholars to play with hypotheses
that move in and out of fashion – hypotheses based on the Greeks, the Trojans, on
Italic peoples, on Anatolian or Greek droughts and famines. But such factors are
unlikely, by themselves, to have provided sufficient impetus for the causal processes
that characterise the period. They should not be viewed in such an individualist
fashion but seen as part of a larger picture, as the trees rather the wood itself. Part of
the problem in understanding these processes has been the very spectacular nature of
the Eastern Mediterrranean events. They attract the bulk of the attention. What has
been relatively neglected by scholars of the Bronze Age Mediterranean is that there is
evidence of similar disruptions elsewhere, particularly in central and northern Europe.

and

Another factor which allows explanations to transcend the previous regional
isolation of scholarship, has been the increasing sophistication of scientific methods,
including dendrochronology and ice-core sampling, which examine the global
climates of the past, just as archaeology examines the human cultures. The synthesis
of these disciplines has often been controversial, but although our modern world still
struggles to come to terms with this point, it is clear that human cultures cannot be
isolated from climate and climate change.
The agenda of this, the 1200 BC conference is thus quite explicit. From the
Atlantic coast of North-west Europe to the shores of the South-east Mediterranean,
from Ireland and Scandinavia to Egypt, archaeologists increasingly recognise that the
1200 BC period is one of dramatic cultural disruption giving way to profound cultural
transformation. Even though there are regional differences in relation to the
archaeological manifestations of this process of disruption and transformation, it is
important for us to establish and explore the commonalities as well as the differences.
We need to ask questions about the scale of these events. Are they linked? Are we
witnessing a cascade of migrations of people throughout Europe? Is violence and
warfare a common factor in these events? Does the multiple evidence for
environmental factors point to global climate change? Are violence and migration the
only solutions we witness to the crises?

1200 BC
War, Climate Change
& Cultural Catastrophe

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
If you're a Bible believer it could not have been an eclipse or any other regular natural occurrence, as it is clearly stated no day like this existed before or after. Obviously eclipses happen on regular intervals. I believe God uses nature for the miracles in the Bible. For example most of the 10 plagues in Egypt can be attributed to a super volcano eruption. I'm curious as to what if any possible anomalies could cause a day longer than 24 hours to occur. Pole shift? continental drifts? Solar flare? Perhaps some solar event occurred that made the daylight last longer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join