It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Barack H. OBAMA has been SUMMONED by the Judicial System.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
But I thought, "jury nullification", was bad!??!
edit on 8-11-2017 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: carewemust

OP, why do you have to make all your topics so sensationalist? Obama going on jury duty is actually pretty funny, but your op is worded like clickbait.
Well, you know how it is...an empty can makes the most noise.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Update: He wasn't chosen to serve on a jury.

Former President Barack Obama, free of a job that forced him to move to Washington for eight years, showed up to a downtown Chicago courthouse for jury duty on Wednesday morning. Then he heard the words most prospective jurors pray for: You’re dismissed.

Barack Obama shows up in Chicago for jury duty; not chosen

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

But still treated like a Rock Star!

K~

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Which is probably why his group wasn’t chosen.

All very well an ex president tries to go back to being a regular citizen, but the reality and secret service kinda prevents that.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I mean it was bound to happen. There is no way a you could have an impartial jury with an ex-President on it. It would just create too much of its own controversy for the trial to remain impartial. The prosecution or the defense could easily argue for a mistrial on the basis of his existence alone if the trial starts heading in a direction they don't approve of.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Not to mention his debating skills. I've served on a jury once and the jury deliberation period was much like a friendly debate. I'd hate to have him wanting the opposite verdict than what I wanted lol. Love him or hate him, the dude can be so witty & charismatic while debating that he'd probably charm everyone else on the jury into accepting his position. I'm imagining people asking him for selfies once the jury session is over, all while I'm still trying to point out why we should decide the case differently.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Yeah. It just wouldn't work. His presence alone would corrupt the trial process. I'm happy that he was still chosen and still showed up to serve. Even if he is too famous to be an effective peer to actually sit on a jury, it shows that he is still an American just like the rest of us and he too has to waste a day and be bored out of his mind.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The prosecution won't want him.

He's shown his animosity against authority and the rule of law, in many cases.

12 Angry Men over parking tickets. lol.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Ironically, I didn't think it was boring at all. If it paid a lot better, I wouldn't mind being a professional juror or at least a part time juror. I've also been on mock juries where law firms were testing their approaches to see if they should take a case to court or just settle. That was pretty fun, too. then again, I'm a bit of a weirdo when it comes to law & politics so...

But yeah, it was good that he was at least willing to do his civic duty. To me, jury duty is one of the surest ways for individual citizens to have a say in the legal system. Even actual lawmakers have less direct influence since they can't determine how their laws are argued or interpreted in a courtroom during actual trials.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

He showed up. That's to his credit. There's no way he's going to be chosen for a jury. So that's so surprise, at all.

I'm kinda surprised they even summoned him.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Where I live, potential jurors are chosen randomly from the pool of citizens with driver's licenses registered here (I think). So it's probably something like that.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

arnt the jury [pools computer selected from a list of citizens ?

as for why did they call him ? - due process

the system cannot be seen to be giving a " get out " or excluding people for " reasons "

the prosecution and defence can exclude a potential juror - but thats different and totally transparent

mr obamas apperance at the jury selection - was a bit of a farce - as it was obvious that he wasnt going to sit on a jury - but the correct procedure was followed

the computer selected him

he attended

he was not call on to serve

job done

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   

The last time I was summoned, but not chosen, at that very courthouse, it was a 7 hour wait. Reading magazines and napping. Over 100 people were in that room. Numbers were called every 1/2 hour or so, but not mine.

I wonder if President Obama stayed there until all selected jurors for the day had been called?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   

The actual court part of being on a jury may be (at times) exciting. I'm talking about the waiting game you play while waiting to find out if you are even going to be on the jury in the first place.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If they did it like they always do it, then they gave him a number based on is SSN or did it alphabetically. Obama is pretty far into the alphabet so there's that; I can't comment on his SSN though. So it is likely he stayed all day, but I could also see them making an exception and dismissing him early just to keep things running smooth and distractions to a minimum.

PS: I know how you feel... SOOOOOOO boring... In Maryland, if you get called for state jury duty and don't serve the first week, your number is put back into the hat to be called the next week with the odds going down each week. I went to jury duty 3 times in a month. Lots of Candy Crush levels were beaten.
edit on 10-11-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join