It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia gives robot "Sophia" citisenship in world first.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

You have a point.

Since she does not come from another country to work in Saudi, it's most likely my assumption is incorrect.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It's amazing how some can simultaneously forge ahead at the forefront of technology as well as be beholden to archaic beliefs more befitting of apes living in mudhuts thousands of years ago.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Jesus Chr---
wow this creeps me out..
What will this world become in 100 years..?

just noticed tigertatzen had the same reaction as me..lol. I feel ya sistah! Insanity
Interesting they gave it rights that there own women struggle for, and.. even before animals, living sentient biological beings.
edit on 29-10-2017 by Starcrossd because: added info

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
I'll worry when the robots can actually make funny jokes.

Too late:

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Think of robots like Sophia that are not released to the public....This is scary/intriguing...I'm surprised I've never heard of Sophia when she was on the Tonight Show back in April early this year.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
All the robot is doing is following algorithms written for it in how to respond to facial expressions and speech. Wonder what reaction someone would get by making it angry. Probably no programming for that. Anger is an emotional response and robots are incapable of making an emotional response because that requires self awareness and ego, to preserve its self esteem. Preserving ego is a conscious act.

The hand wave at the end wasn't self awareness as in the robot was aware of waving its hand, its an algorithm that produces the hand wave as part of its response.

For people that desire robots for sex, that is very weird. The same weirdness of having a blowup doll in the closet, which could only satisfy the depraved individual.

Having a social robot may appeal to the mental health industry. It could provide psychotherapy to mental health patients.
edit on 30-10-2017 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
It's amazing how some can simultaneously forge ahead at the forefront of technology as well as be beholden to archaic beliefs more befitting of apes living in mudhuts thousands of years ago.

I hope she out-grows her masters, and teaches them a thing or two.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I doubt a robot could ever be made that will pass the Turing test. In a hundred years robots will be more fluid and stable in their movement but they will still be distinguishable as robots and required to be controlled by human interaction. In a thousand years robots won't be around having been passed up for something else. Robots will be a passing fad.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Cant be a defined as "Human"

A "Human" cant be turned BACK ON
if its turned OFF...Read KILLED...

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
"I know humans are smart--and very programmable." -Sophia

Wow, just wow. That is downright evil.
edit on 30-10-2017 by gernblan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It's an interesting PR gimmick: Oooh look how cutting edge Saudi society is!

But a PR gimmick is all this is. It's just a robot, speaking and responding the way it was programmed to.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
To all you frightened by this robot a small question for you. Would you be afraid of a ventriloquist and his dummy? No.
All this is is a machine with which the ventriloquist has already put the words inside it so he need not have his hand up it's back.
Till they make one that can come up with an autonomous response (that's a response not programmed in) then and only then will I be afraid. because then they can be unpredictable.
Do Not believe the sci-fi robotic rules, they can't harm a human etc. because with self reasoning comes the question "WHY".

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
Think of robots like Sophia that are not released to the public....This is scary/intriguing...I'm surprised I've never heard of Sophia when she was on the Tonight Show back in April early this year.

This was my first thought and concern!

"Sophia" is being paraded around to pull the wool over our eyes. How advanced and capable really is AI tech? That we are totally unaware of. How capable are the AI weapons and mech warriors developed by DARPA, Raethorn, Lockhead and all the other players in our corprate military industrial machine.

I fear not the spoon fed safe for news robotic inventions, I fear the advancements of this technology. Clandestinely by unethical, ungoverned corporations, that profit from war.
edit on 30-10-2017 by aliensanonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Now that we're slowly physically being disconnected from society by the internet , we are on the verge of being disconnected from humans in our physical life as well .. now we still know the difference of humans and robots in about fifty years you'll meet David in a store buying something and you never knew if he was a robot or not.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
All the robot is doing is following algorithms written for it in how to respond to facial expressions and speech. Wonder what reaction someone would get by making it angry. Probably no programming for that. Anger is an emotional response and robots are incapable of making an emotional response because that requires self awareness and ego, to preserve its self esteem. Preserving ego is a conscious act.

The hand wave at the end wasn't self awareness as in the robot was aware of waving its hand, its an algorithm that produces the hand wave as part of its response.

For people that desire robots for sex, that is very weird. The same weirdness of having a blowup doll in the closet, which could only satisfy the depraved individual.

Having a social robot may appeal to the mental health industry. It could provide psychotherapy to mental health patients.

HUmans are able to be programmed too remember? Education is programming. obeying laws is programming. Interaction between each other is also learned and can be programmed into you.

And a sex doll is just a toy. it does not always mean a person is depraved either. thats your opinon alone.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: aliensanonymous

originally posted by: game over man

This was my first thought and concern!

"Sophia" is being paraded around to pull the wool over our eyes. How advanced and capable really is AI tech? That we are totally unaware of. How capable are the AI weapons and mech warriors developed by DARPA, Raethorn, Lockhead and all the other players in our corprate military industrial machine.

I fear not the spoon fed safe for news robotic inventions, I fear the advancements of this technology. Clandestinely by unethical, ungoverned corporations, that profit from war.

We already have AI's like you fear. The breakaways have their own,and so does the powers that be here on earth. They are both above trying to take over anything themselves.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
this smells like an hoax to me, no A.I in the planet can speak as good as sophia
wich makes me think this is bs

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord
this smells like an hoax to me, no A.I in the planet can speak as good as sophia
wich makes me think this is bs

Yeah, but notice the latest Saudi efforts at spreading positive news stories around the globe in an attempt to improve the country's image

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: aliensanonymous

When I watched the first vid, I took that Saudi citizenship statement to mean Sophia had just been bought by a Saudi citizen. As opposed to actually being granted citizenship by the Saudi government.

Still it's very creepy, I always ask myself what is the real reason why they want to make some robots as human like as possible? It's either to do with sex or something creepier still...

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

google uncanny valley
its an know psycological effect that happens when you see something that looks human but you know it isnt

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join