It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long till and what do we do once human labor is irrelevant???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
So what do we do next??

CAROUSEL! RENEW! RENEW!

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

My wife's hairdresser is a benchmark for the advance of mechanised labour in the service industries.

He's not going any where, apart from the South of France on holiday.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Do you really think that replacing humans with machines will benefit the humans being replaced?
Only the machine owners will gain.

But with no labor, there are no customers.

Balance baby

so you can imagine humans being replaced by machines yet cant imagine another method of value and services in exchange for a currency of some sort.

i wonder if its an innate flaw we have of which value and services rendered are mutually exclusive, always.
we can imagine immeasurable technologies and robotics, but we can't conceive a different concept for exchange for goods, other than what we have now. we are a strange species.

There is a term that I believe covers the issue.

Starving artist.

But value has always been based on exchange.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This OP made me have a pretty unique thought. You know the craze behind products "Made Proudly in the USA"?

Now imagine the few decades after robots become more prevalent and the horde of soccer moms going the extra mile to buy clothes "Made Proudly by Human Hands."

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

Several years ago our Walmart put in some of those self-checkout machines. I liked them, but they were not particularly popular. And I understand they were difficult to maintain. So the store removed them after a year or so.

Then in the last couple of years all Walmarts that I have been to have added a section of self-checkout machines. Now they are a lot more popular. Sometimes, I even have to stand in line for a minute or two until one of the checkout kiosks opens up.

I think it's just going to take a little time for people to get used to the idea of not having to interact with a person to take care of their business. It's especially more difficult for some of us who've been around for a while to get comfortable with new technology. But the younger generations who are more accustomed to computers and automation will be able to make the transition without nearly as much effort.

-dex

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I think the answer is Universal Basic Income for the populace. With the government tax revenue coming from taxing robots and other automated systems.

Automation is coming at us from all directions, in every phase of life. Perhaps one way to slow that assault of automation is by making it more expensive for businesses to replace humans with robots.

Artificial Intelligence is making rapid progress. The latest iterations of AI can "learn" and even simulate creativity. Any task that follows a more-or-less deterministic path can be automated. Even computer programming follows certain patterns and paradigms that can be automated, just like the CASE tools we use now.

Biped robots are becoming commonplace. I remember back in the early 1980's the idea of a robot that could actually walk on two legs like a human was thought to be impossible because of the sensory and processing requirements necessary. Less than two decades later I remember doing a spit-take when I first saw a demonstration of Honda's Asimo bipedal robot.

Fine dexterity is already being demonstrated. NASA's Robonaut 2, a remote telepresence robot, can handle very fine tools and equipment. Surgeons use robotic systems to assist them in performing fine and delicate surgeries.

Electrical power storage systems are advancing at a breakneck pace. However, the ability to store sufficient power for autonomous robotic systems is probably the biggest factor in preventing more widespread adoption of their use and availability.

So artificially intelligent, biped, dexterous robots are already a reality. A humanoid robotic device that can function autonomously in an environment designed for a human being are not far off.

This notion of human workers being replaced by automated systems needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. I believe that this could be a culturally existential crisis if not addressed soon.

-dex

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The world will always need drug dealers

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: wlasp
The world will always need drug dealers

I'm hoping that by the time this becomes a real issue that consumption of certain natural herbs is no longer considered a crime.

Having said that, I think you may have something there. Criminal behavior in general may still be a primarily human performed function. I'm not sure how person-on-person crime can be automated; at least not at the low end. Gangs probably wouldn't have the resources to build robots to go out and rob people.

Another interesting point is how will illegal drugs work in this new paradigm. With a lot of extra time, and nothing that really needs to be done, will more people turn to self-destructive behavior for thrills? And would this start a new cycle of violence and crime as those self-destructive behaviors require more resources than are provided by the government?

-dex

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
When machines do all of our work for us. When machines build and repair themselves.
Then the human being will be free to explore the innerworkings of our minds. We will produce art and use our robot slaves to shape other worlds to our design. The entire universe will be our canvas and play ground.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

So what new field takes their place??

Culture is the answer. The Olympics are a good example of economy based culture. Who cares how stuff is manufactured. Pay people to create more culture. Pay people make art. Pay people to sing and play music. Pay people to do scientific research. Pay people to attend college courses. Pay people to hang out with old people. Pay to have more teachers in public classrooms. There's no end to what money can be spent on culture. All you have to do is convince the billionaires to part with their money.

We will have the free time to be a family again.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Yeah, definitely. I'd imagine in such a divided world there will be way more gangs ripping off shipments, etc. Since people can't afford what the rich few can even more than they can't now the black market will be thriving and possibly more barter-based.

Getting back to drug dealers, with everyone out of a job and enormous middle class I'd imagine drug use would soar. In the hood I grew up/live in everybody and their dog is on drugs. It's a very poor neighbourhood in a blue collar, manufacturing city which has lost a lot of factories. The big tech companies like Google have moved in in the last few years which "boosts" our economy but doesn't help bring many jobs to the people that have actually lived there their whole lives. It's funny actually, Google's front door is directly across the street from a trap house

edit on 10-27-2017 by wlasp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   

I'm wondering when the country goes broke,those machines will become irrelevant,people will have to go back to the days of old,self sustained,the lack of being taught physical skills will end up being the demise of those lacking,survival of the fittest

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm surprise no one has mentioned prostitution.

"You no job, no get mon neee. You go truck stop get mon neee"

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

I'm wondering when the country goes broke,those machines will become irrelevant,people will have to go back to the days of old,self sustained,the lack of being taught physical skills will end up being the demise of those lacking,survival of the fittest

The US went completely broke in 1976.

That's when Nixon finally said the paper notes called "US Dollars" would no longer allow one to get some equivalent amount of "gold" in exchange. Prior to that, the paper money was just a convenient token used by people to buy and sell things using gold. But, now the US didn't have the actual gold needed to back all those US dollars in circulation. They were broke.

Technically, the United States is a bankrupt nation.

Yet, things are proceeding just fine.

The fact is that all you need for "money" is something called "faith."

You don't need gold or silver, or anything else.

As long as you have "faith", you can print money, hand it out, and people will use it to buy things.

The Republicans like to point out that 45% of all Americans receive some kind of food stamps or government assistance.

That 45% going to become 100%.

That's all.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

That won’t take very many people relatively lol..

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

TODAY...

What about tomorrow???

Just 100 years ago flight was crazy..

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: luke1212

The government prints the money, lol and it’s not like money is real...

It’s jyst smoke and mirrors.. it’s not based on anything and gold isn’t even that functional.

If a disaster or war jumps off , money doesn’t matter at all. Materials, knowhow and labor are all that actually count.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Absolutely and I eluded to that in the OP, but those things require fan bases.. which inherently isn’t something everyone can have. Entertainers almost have to be relatively rare , if everyone’s an entertainer. Who are the fans??

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Tptb don’t want death and chaos.. death and chaos never benefits those in power. The status quo does.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

WHAT?!?!

the self checkout line is always the busiest at every super market I have seen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join