It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority Of White Americans Say They Face Discrimination

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

White privilege isn't about having special privileges for being white, it's about not encountering obstacles minorities often have to face. Non-minorities often take for granted things that are a greater hassle, degrading, or even impossible for a minority. Not saying it's as great as it once was, but the problem still exists. Just because you are ignorant of the times this happens to minorities doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

My wife is Korean, and we talk about this sometimes. She also took some classes in college regarding this topic, so it's an interesting chat topic for us. I don't always agree with her side of things, but she did open my eyes to many things that as a white person, I would take for granted, that for her and even more so for Hispanic and black people, can be an ordeal or even degrading.

Can you give us, lets say, the top five obstacles? I think it is important to put some clarification on what is unique to only minorities in holding them back. My wife is also Asian and she doesn't see any of this and came to this country with zero of the bias that we have here on all sides.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: fleabit

White privilege isn't about having special privileges for being white, it's about not encountering obstacles minorities often have to face. Non-minorities often take for granted things that are a greater hassle, degrading, or even impossible for a minority. Not saying it's as great as it once was, but the problem still exists. Just because you are ignorant of the times this happens to minorities doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

My wife is Korean, and we talk about this sometimes. She also took some classes in college regarding this topic, so it's an interesting chat topic for us. I don't always agree with her side of things, but she did open my eyes to many things that as a white person, I would take for granted, that for her and even more so for Hispanic and black people, can be an ordeal or even degrading.

Can you give us, lets say, the top five obstacles? I think it is important to put some clarification on what is unique to only minorities in holding them back. My wife is also Asian and she doesn't see any of this and came to this country with zero of the bias that we have here on all sides.

I already pinpointed the problem.

She also took some classes in college regarding this topic

College is a cesspit of political correct crap and liberal brainwashing.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
ALL CEO pay rates have grown exponentially..

Not just those that are insanely successful. Those who have bankrupted their companies wages have ballooned as well.

I also don’t think that is accurate..about the 2 dollar raise..

The ceo of Boeing likely makes 20 million a year.. they do not have 10 million employees..

It would likely be a 5000% a year raise. I bet those are easy to look up. Brb lol

“In 2013, McNerney made $23.2 million in total compensation, which included a $1.9 million salary, $3.7 million stock award, $3.7 million stock option grant, and an annual incentive bonus of $12.8 million”

(No way I got that close in my bs guess lol!!)

They have 174,000 employees..

(Would never have guesssed it was that high!)

So 23.2million divided by 174,000 =

(Definitely requiring a calculator lol!)

135$ per employee.

If you add in the other CEO level/ board of director types and no telling what that number increases to.

And how much work do you think the average ceo’s Do???

I’m sure some work so hard they sleep in their office, but a whole lot just live on the golf course.

I bet half the time the janitor does more functional work to keep the company running and improving.

For example, hostess cupcakes.

The ceo’s Decisions bankrupt the company, cut all the employees wages and retirements, and still walked with his 40 million dollar bonus.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

$135 per employee. So $.06 an hour raise.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Just like to point out (by the way I do think CEO's get paid to much) a full bird Colonel (someone many think gets paid to much) works 16 hours a day and is on call 24 hours a day. Hours of power point presentation, hours of pouring over reports, planning upcoming changes, approving changes etc.

eta: I imagine much of this will fit the same power level in the civil sector.

Its not all sipping champagne banging hookers and playing golf, they do not in many cases have anything resembling a life.
edit on 28-10-2017 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

The ceo of Boeing likely makes 20 million a year.. they do not have 10 million employees..

I used a little less than 20 million, but lets see...20 million divided by 160,000 = $125 125 divided by 52 = $2.40 per week

What the CEO makes really plays nothing into my life. My pay check does and a choice of either a pay raise of 2 bucks a week or a good paying job for the next 30 years I'll take the good paying job for 30 years.

Bad CEOs and people like hedge fund managers that might make tons of money means nothing to me, just like a person who might win a billion dollar lottery means nothing to me.

In these cases it seems there is more jealousy going on than anything else as in how can a person that sucks or is lucky make so much and I can't...I don't even think about it.

edit on 28-10-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

this sentiment was bound to happen.
i had a long post of examples from the media to support my position, but i'm afraid i'd get banned if i post it.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I bet half the time the janitor does more functional work to keep the company running and improving.

How much should dumping trash cans pay? How much should you pay someone to mow your lawn or work on your car etc...

When you get into upper levels it is a different world, might as well be Mars and that is why I don't care...

It is not just CEOs how about professional sports players, artists etc. Should Justin Beaver be worth 300 million? Should a basketball player make 100 million over 5 years? How does that compare to the person selling popcorn making 8 bucks an hour? Should a basketball player, singer, artist make more a year than a man who has 170,000 employees depending on him?

If you go though life with all this as part of what you focus on that it isn't fair to the person dumping trash or selling popcorn you will live a unhappy life...

Make a string of number 1 hits, run a billion(s) dollar business, score 30 points a game and join their world...

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

For one guy..

174,000 people get a .06 an hour raise..

First off I never said anything resembling “if ceos got paid less everyone else would be making great money..

That’s not really small potatoes , but not even remotely the main proble, which as I mentioned is the shareholder side of things..

No matter how profitable your company is, it is never enough once your publicly traded. That requires them to make more profit every single year and labor is the only cost a buisness can really control.

There are so many hands in the cookie jar that there is none left for those actually doing the work. This has led to wages staying stagnant as inflation and cost of living rises.

For everyone except the ceo level.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

A good CEO can greatly increase that. A good CEO making 20 mil is better than .06 an hour.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Spend four minutes and 12 seconds of your life, and you can expand your understanding:

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Could you run the buisness without dumping the trash and mowing the lawn??

Could you run a buisness if everyone showed up but the CEO??

Obviously the prices we have set for labor are arbitrary...

If not then teachers and great mothers and fathers make the most money.. since those are the most important jobs.

You act like the coceot of a useless executive is far fetched..

I think in now way does it mertit 100,000 Times the salary of the people actually creating your the product..

Not just that but people always complain about the service and quality of low paid labor..right??

No one ever thinks about the fact if you pay more people work harder..for a minimum wage people put forth a minimum effort.. that’s just capitalism lol.

Celebrities and sports players don’t make their products on the back of cheap labor. The surrounding jobs usually pay well too.

IMHO minimum wage for a 40 hour week should be the very least it takes for one individual to support themselves in the worst reasonable conditions..

Studio crappy apartment, lights, water, worst food. Basic phone , health insurance, 3000$ car..

7.25$ an hour at 40 hours a week won’t pay for all that...

That means Those buisnesses are not actually profitable, as they cannot support those they employ full time..

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

When 70% of your children are born to single mothers, you're looking at a real problem and not one caused by white folks or racism.

i need you to step away from that dog whistle, nothing wrong with not being married when you have kids. Not to mention, that is a racial politic assertion and its just used to ignore the problem of systemic racism in america.

Black men are more involved in the rearing of thier kids than most incorrectly thinks. Like you.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

I watched your video.

I have to say I was impressed with how the questioning was manipulated to arrive at the desired outcome.

Bravo!

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

What I got from that video is that only white people have parents who stay together and they should be ashamed of it. Why did none of the black kids step forward for the free tutor, I used to do tutoring, it was free for the students, paid by the government, 95% of the students were black.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Montana

If you have 2 parents who stay together you are experiencing white privilege!

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
a reply to: ketsuko

When 70% of your children are born to single mothers, you're looking at a real problem and not one caused by white folks or racism.

i need you to step away from that dog whistle, nothing wrong with not being married when you have kids. Not to mention, that is a racial politic assertion and its just used to ignore the problem of systemic racism in america.

Black men are more involved in the rearing of thier kids than most incorrectly thinks. Like you.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but statistically speaking kids in single-parent households are at a disadvantage, regardless of race. There's reams of data to support this.

Edit: I'm not sure what type of source you'd consider valid, but just google "single parent children vs married parent children". There's tons of studies, articles, professional testimony. There's all kinds of practical reasons. If you have 2 parents it's more likely one of them will find the time to help you with school work, for one. There's a myriad of reasons why.
edit on 28 10 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: Greven

Who is denying history?

My god not only have I never claimed that this country did all sorts of terrible things against minorities, I have exxplained how the most inspirational people I have ever read about were the slaves who when released decided to show the world how great they were by working their buts off to outdo many of the racists that have effected them

This is the ultimate show of strength, individualism and personal work ethic that is everything america is about, and every American should be proud of these people that showed all of us what being a great person is truely about.

But I am not talking about history. What laws are on the books today that are against minorities?

Again, this is what I was talking about in the OP.

We should stop making laws or taking actions to hurt or help people based on skin color.

As long as we have laws the benefit people based on skin color, or sanctioned classes that focus on the evils of just one skin color, or say things like math is whiteness or science is whiteness and we need to change it, we will see a holes like richard spencer use id politics on the other side.

First, you are a liar. I didn't say you were denying history:

originally posted by: Greven
Someone needs to read up on history:

Secondly, the post I replied to was this:

originally posted by: Grambler
Show me any federal law that discriminates against minorities.

The example I cite there is Republican President Richard Nixon's strategy for destroying black communities because they opposed them politically. What an evil, vile thing to do.

Yet, you completely ignore it. Why? It's inconvenient, isn't it? You don't care about facts, or you would respond to that. You don't care about people who differ politically, or you would denounce Nixon's War on Drugs.

That the War on Drugs is still going on, supported by vast federal and state legislation, funding, and other actions, is proof enough that federal law discriminates against minorities. Central to the War on Drugs is the simple fact that it was started to hurt blacks, because blacks wouldn't vote Republican.

That is my response to your ludicrous post. You didn't even quote so that people reading it wouldn't see the distortions you wrought.

Pathetic.
edit on 14Sat, 28 Oct 2017 14:27:06 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago10 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

Spend four minutes and 12 seconds of your life, and you can expand your understanding:

I watched it and I asked what obstacles are unique to only minorities, and I saw none. Those are college students so all have some form of privilege, if not money then skill or brains... or just tenacity and work 3 jobs as they go to college.

I heard some of those obstacles as being cultural infused, as example, why is the black culture in America so negative to the point of being close to the primary reason as to what holds so many of them back from being successful...generation to generation?

I think if they went to Berkeley and did the same thing and asked: All those who are here on a scholarship not based on your SAT/Grades step forward, you might see a different mix of that race of who is at the end...

Much of the obstacles are income focused and there are more poor whites in America than minorities though the percentage is lower but the over all numbers is millions of poor white people. As you get into the middle class it is almost worst in you make to much for any subsidies but not enough to afford things like college. So I don't know what is better, to be a poor minority wanting to go to college or a middle class white wanting to go to college.

So let me ask the question again...

What obstacles are unique to only minorities? Obstacles that only affect them?

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: Grambler

More than half of whites — 55 percent — surveyed say that, generally speaking, they believe there is discrimination against white people in America today

Well that sorta thing doesn't just happen overnight therefore primarily I blame Obama and his husband and their closet 'whitey must pay' conduct. I also blame BLM - the anti-white / anti-police racist hate group. But most of all I blame CNN and the retards for giving them all lots of air-time to spew their crap in all directions in the hopes some of it will stick.

So good to see that vile comments are cheered on ATS these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join