It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 years of the RAF at RIAT 2018.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm almost certainly going to be going to this next year as it's now ten years since I went to an RIAT at Fairford.(I even went to a couple back in the 1980s when it was at Greenham Common).

www.airtattoo.com...

I only got the email about this today and some tickets are already sold out,so I need to get my backside into gear and get mine ASAP.They're saying that some of the normal public car parks are being given up to the static aircraft display,and this has the potential to be the biggest air show EVER since airshows were first a thing (other people's thoughts and not mine).I'll probably be camping in what they're calling the Tangerine campsite which I'm guessing is where the show campsite was last time I was there near the village of Kempsford/Dunfield.

I hear Zaphod has already booked his flight to see what a REAL airshow looks like
!

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

Pfft. If I wanted to see a "real" airshow, I'd go to Nellis.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Try to go each year now - plan for next year is a friends camper for 3 days LOL

:-)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Been going to RIAT again for the last 3 years. I use to go in the early 90s as a kid with the family

But I'm not really feeling the urge to go next year even if it is the RAFs 100th. I don't really see what aircraft the RAF can put on show for us. Maybe it's because I've had a a lot going on I haven't really paid much attention to next years show. Maybe in the new year when I'm a bit more settled I'll get myself a ticket.

Without sucking up to Zaph .. think I'd rather go to Nellis. Shame it's a few thousand miles away

In relation to the thread check out Waynos's thread. Waynos and myself have shared a few photos from the previous airshows www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sorry I'm in a terrible mood ... but what exactly can the RAF put on show for us we don't really have anything left to show. Maybe the F-35 and an A400 but I miss the good old days of the Victors and Vulcans, Tornados, Buccaneers and Phantoms. I shouldn't be too down beat about the show I do enjoy watching but I can already see some confirmed aircraft

Red arrows
RAF Chinook
Eurofighter
Battle of Britain memorial flight
Tornado
A400 (airbus flying theirs and RAF one on static)
RAF C17
Voyager tanker

As well as these may all seem nice aircraft it's pretty much what was there from the RAF last year. Meh, I'll shut up I'm just being a moody old sod at the minute

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

The numbers won't be made up of the 11 active aircraft the RAF still have left though,it'll be every other friendly air force in the world coming along to wish them a happy birthday and help them to blow out the candles.
I've just paid for my four day FRIAT membership,so nice a nice grandstand seat over looking the flightline for me

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong every time I've been recently it seemed to of got better and better. I'm sure it will be another good show and since I've started going again I can't help but book the time off work for it every year, in 2015 RIAT was actually held on my 30th birthday I desperately tried to get a ride in a Red Arrow

Have you sat in the grandstand before? I've done it twice but the second time put me off a bit I was squeezed into a seat by an abnormal sized person next to me and I found trying to take photos (I like photography as a hobby) was a bit awkward. Last year I booked the viewing village which I found so much better. I had enough room to get close up to the crowd line albeit I wasn't right on the rope and with the garden chairs all lined up I always had somewhere to sit they were quite comfy and could lean back easily to take any aerial pics. I only went on Sunday last year and aimed to do departure day but I was shattered and didn't really have anywhere to stay the night

If I go again next year I'd like to do the whole weekend and departure day it's just weighing up the prices and sorting somewhere to stay.

I didn't think of other nations that would join, maybe some of the commonwealth countries could bring a few treats. Would be nice if Russia sent a few things id love to see a SU-34 they look an absolute beauty of an aircraft but I doubt Russia will even be invited. I enjoyed the Ukrainians last year though the SU-27 was brilliant. Shame the weather doesn't always go according to plan

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Pfft. If I wanted to see a "real" airshow, I'd go to Nellis.

Am I reading correctly is Nellis for next year is being held in November, is it the same time every year ?

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

It's always in November. It's the Thunderbirds homecoming show at the end of the season.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
2018 will be my first time. Looking forward to it so is my son.

Basically what's the show ground like? I gather we can walk new e the statics but not with in touching?? + Whats the viewing like for general crowds.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
Have you sat in the grandstand before?

Yes I have,back in 2005 where most of this lot were taken from.......

The two years I was there this century it was kinda hot,good airshow and good camping weather.I stayed at the Dunfield campsite both those years,but I see the new official Tangerine campsite is now about a mile or so north of the old one.
I was looking at hotels and AirBnB etc for accomodation that weekend,but there aren't all that many within easy reach of Fairford,and what there are are crazy expensive for that period.The campsite is very good though with lots of hot showers and even a decent catering tent.
edit on 26-10-2017 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackbird9393
2018 will be my first time. Looking forward to it so is my son.

Basically what's the show ground like? I gather we can walk new e the statics but not with in touching?? + Whats the viewing like for general crowds.

ALL aircraft in static are roped off with a decent distance around them for photos,although some of the bigger stuff you will need a decent wide angle lens to get all of them in.
You need to get the fence early and stay there all day to get a decent view of the runway,the flying display you can see from anywhere,even outside the airfield.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Thanks Imagewerx.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   
The photos above were taken with a Canon EOS 10D and Sigma 50-500mm lens if anyone is interested.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I was there for the fateful crash as well - what an introduction LOL

edit on 27-10-2017 by Silk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silk
I was there for the fateful crash as well - what an introduction LOL

What crash are you talking about,I didn't hear anything about this?

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

If it's a ride you want........

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos
At least offer me a complete aircraft it missing it's port side wing lol but i could strap a few mini jet engines to it and see where nature takes me

new topics

top topics

join