It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An opioid named Squirrel

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Adequate amounts of opiates, increasing with tolerance worked to ease the pain of my beloved husbands brain tumor. But doctors were unwilling, even after his terminal diagnosis, to adequately medicate him, because of pressure being put on them not to prescribe more opiates due to greedy junkies.

Why should he suffer because we are losing the war on drugs?

If hippy stuff mind over matter works for you, great. It doesn't work on large brain tumors, pressing on the cerebellum. Opiates do.

Since they wont give him enough, he is not in any, using just pot, and I have to watch him suffer. Great, eh, as long as we are punishing them junkies.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Adequate amounts of opiates, increasing with tolerance worked to ease the pain of my beloved husbands brain tumor. But doctors were unwilling, even after his terminal diagnosis, to adequately medicate him, because of pressure being put on them not to prescribe more opiates due to greedy junkies.

If hippy stuff mind over matter works for you, great. It doesn't work on large brain tumors, pressing on the cerebellum. Opiates do.

Since they wont give him enough, he is not in any, using just pot, and I have to watch him suffer. Great, eh, as long as we are punishing them junkies.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wulfrida

He shouldn't, that's been one of my main points.

It seems we are having two different conversations. Ill take partial responsibility for the miscommunication.

The issues, as I see them, are as follows:

Legitimate patients are not receiving proper pain management due to the environment that has been precipitated by a somewhat emotional crusade to "do something."

There is a lot of confusion, conflation, and overlap between short term, terminal patients, long term patients, and addicts. There are very different considerations for the different scenarios and they shouldn't be approached as being all the same thing.

Much of the misunderstanding on the topic is caused by ignorance about things like dependence versus addiction, truly living in chronic, severe pain, and long term versus short term considerations.

This is all exacerbated by the attitude that higher doses always result in less pain and the concept that pain can actually be eliminated completely. This can end up creating substantially higher addiction potential in nearly all patients, which funnels right back into the vicious cycle of perception between doctors and patients.

In other words, for your situation specifically, there shouldn't even be second thoughts about whether to prescribe opioids. If it turns into a long term maintenance program, that should continue while also considering the other factors that come into play.

Again, treating things like meditation and acupuncture as alternatives is part of the problem. They are not. Presenting them as such makes many want to discard them as completely as some doctors accept them as a true alternative. Its an unnecessary clash that directly results from the manufactured environment.

That manufactured environment is, in my opinion, intentional. What exactly is being attempted is hard to say, but it remains clear to me that the current approach is doing little more than hurting legitimate patients.

new topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join