It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An opioid named Squirrel

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cypress

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: DBCowboy

Considering this is a self correcting problem, I share your confusion as to why now and why such a massive push.

Because it isn’t just affecting the low income communities. Heroin addiction is hitting the suburbs hard. Heroin is replacing weed as the starter drug of choice because it is so damn cheap.

And it is laced with fentanyl, in one town the fire department spends most the day on overdose calls, even the addicts carry one of the shots that brings you back from overdosing, I don't know what it is called.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
youtu.be...

A terrifying and in depth look at how Vancouver first responders, addicts, hospitals and a neighbourhood is coping with an epidemic of fentanyl and opioid abuse. Unprecedented close up look at a growing crisis gripping most cities.

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

A little pain is not a bad thing. In a lot of ways, it can actually be good. Speaking in terms of an injury, pain is your warning that you are going too far..

youre right.
a little pain i not a bad thing and when your arm starts hurting while you are playing tennis you should probably stop before it gets worse.

that is not even in the same realm as people with chronic conditions. chronic back issues. people like me with nerve damage in my hand cause my finger got ripped off on a saw and my other fingers tore up.

i am not talking about a little pain. i am talking about a lot of pain. all the time. the kind of pain that does not stop with rest and ice ad all that bull#.

i dont understand why people are having a hard time with this

you are talking sports injuries that get worse cause of no time off and i am talking about debilitating illness, industrial accidents, diseases and # like that

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Here is the funny #. The state's crack down in the wrong ways on #. My wife daughter and I are all sick. Just went to rite aid. As advertised the Dayquil and Nyquil are buy 2 get 1 free so I grabbed 3. Then I got a kids Tylenol for my daughter and they wouldn't do it cause I exceeded the amount by state law.
Sure hope large families don't get sick at the same time. They try to combat drug use and manufacturing but they do it all wrong.
Legalize green and lots of problems solved

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Sleeping on the floor is supposed to help, does it?

The yoga? You still need the meds even after proactively rehabilitation ?

That's concerning, if that's the case, as they are supposed fixes to my ailments.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Here is the funny #. The state's crack down in the wrong ways on #. My wife daughter and I are all sick. Just went to rite aid. As advertised the Dayquil and Nyquil are buy 2 get 1 free so I grabbed 3. Then I got a kids Tylenol for my daughter and they wouldn't do it cause I exceeded the amount by state law.
Sure hope large families don't get sick at the same time. They try to combat drug use and manufacturing but they do it all wrong.
Legalize green and lots of problems solved

...except the problem you were in Rite-Aid to seek treatment for, unless green cures the same issues Nyquil is intended for (which it doesn't).

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

...except the problem you were in Rite-Aid to seek treatment for, unless green cures the same issues Nyquil is intended for (which it doesn't).

did you not read what i posted?

of course green does not treat the cold

they lock down on cold meds cause people try to cook meth or drink a whole bottle to get #ed up.
if green were legal and people did not have to worry about jail and losing their job we would see a drastic decrease in the use, sale, and manufacture of other drugs.
people would not be looking to spend $7 on a bottle of nyquil to down to catch a buzz when they can just burn.
who the hell chooses nyquil over green for their recreation?
lots of people since green is illegal
nobody if green were legal
feel free to post all the links and studies proving me wrong.
i know what i know.....

not really interested in debating it to be honest but have at it
edit on 27-10-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I think it is strongly applicable to any level of pain.

Most doctors seem familiar with hyperalgesia, but few seem to communicate the value in not blocking as much pain as possible.

Our bodies adapt, and alongside hyperalgesia and medication tolerance, this can create a cocktail wherein you are perceiving more pain than you would otherwise.

Many in the medical community have a four hour between dose standard. There are various reasons for this, but what I found is that the increased pain levels at the end of the four hours are important to effective pain control. Of course, this seemed like news to anyone I have spoken to in the medical community. Their reasons tend to differ, but it gives the same result.

It seems to stimulate receptors just enough to keep them from adjusting and becoming more sensitive to pain signals.

There are a lot of ways to extrapolate this out into a general pain management plan, but the point is that the last thing most patients want, to intentionally feel some of the pain, may be one of the most important factors for effective long term management of that pain.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Our bodies adapt, and alongside hyperalgesia and medication tolerance, this can create a cocktail wherein you are perceiving more pain than you would otherwise.

Many in the medical community have a four hour between dose standard. There are various reasons for this,

oh i guess all the anti type people on the board know more than doctors. of course

and the reason the doses are 4-6 hours apart is so you can have as much pain relief as possible in a 24 hour period.
a lot of the reasons behind that is also a #load of pain meds have acetomenophin in them and it is rough on the liver.

when you get prescribed 10/500 vicodin and can take 4 in a 24 hour period it is not because 40 milligrams of hydrocodone is dangerous in a 24 hour period. it is because 2,000 milligrams of acetomenophin is approaching dangerous.

i really dont think people that do not suffer from EXTREME CHRONIC pain understand what they are talking about.
moderate to severe pain that comes and goes from migraines and tennis elbow and # is not the same thing as what i am talking about.
like others have mentioned rest to help cause the pain is letting you know something is wrong.

well damn. sure wish rest would have helped me when i was 21 and they had to replace my disc at L4S1 by going in through my stomach and using titanium, a piece of bone from my hip and a cadaver bone...
cause that is the same as migraines every 4th or 5th day

i wonder if rest would help the nerve damage in my hand from having my fingers ripped apart in a band saw

i am convinced you people do not know/understand what you are talking about

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Not sure where you are going with all that.. I'm not sure you read what I wrote at all. Though, your response is definitely not atypical. I even wrote that I understand the standard reasoning for dose schedules. I just expanded on it from extensive personal experience.

I am quite well acquainted with chronic pain, making assumptions and running with them isn't particularly helpful. Or accurate. I'm not here to compare either, I've partially discussed my health issues elsewhere.

And just to clarify, am I an "anti type people" now too?

I'm here sharing what I have learned on a topic that many misunderstand. I like to think that's valuable, on the whole, even if you aren't particularly enamored with what I have to say.

There is a lot of ignorance on the topic specifically for the reason you state: lack of personal experience. I extend this to many doctors as well, and that has held true in most cases.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

i dont disagree with this post.

i took the other wrong.
my fault
sorry

but a major factor in the dose schedule is the high amounts of acetomenophin
my 10's are down to 325 of that and norco 5's might even be less than that

the problems are getting better

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Serdgiam

but a major factor in the dose schedule is the high amounts of acetomenophin
my 10's are down to 325 of that and norco 5's might even be less than that

I do agree, I don't think I even implied that I felt the standard reasons were invalid. If I did, I will clear it up: I don't think the various reasons used in a dosing schedule are at all incorrect, there are just some factors that someone without personal experience would be incapable of knowing or understanding.

Frankly, even someone who does have experience with truly chronic pain may be ignorant of some factors in play. I only discovered it in a desperate attempt to manage my pain as effectively as possible and some of it is counter-intuitive to generally accepted practices.

In my mind, all of this plays into a topic where ignorance seems to reign, emotions are high, and desperation is as common as anything else. Then, we have these strong pushes in the public, media, and government to take actions that are unlikely to do a damn thing about the "problem." In that respect, the more people know from those with experience, the better. Because something is going down here that has nothing to do with the slickly marketed slogans, I'm certain of it.

To be honest though, the defensive type reaction can make it difficult for people to lend their ears to those of us that are legitimate patients.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963i have heard of something troubling people dying of drug overdoses found to have valid prescriptions for percocets but bottles were fiiled with fentanyl instead . a theory being passed aroundis that some pharmacies are buying their generics from china and there they are sendink knockoffs of popular brands made with fentanyl instead of hydrocodeine . the reason it being passed around some of these deaths are of people who had no prior history of drug abuse

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

You think I don't get chronic pain?

Please re-read my opening on this. I have my own chronic pain issues, and thanks to the migraines, I CAN'T USE OPIOIDS.

So I learned how to deal with it and manage it, and that's why I say you can tolerate more than you think.

There is pain and acute pain and it's the acute pain that needs management.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Prescription opioid addiction solution begins and ends with doctors and pharmacists management of the prescription drugs.

It doesn't need to get any more complicated than that.

They hand this # out like Halloween candy with unlimited supplies.

Pharmacies can't just decide to give people opoids. They can only fill what the doctors prescribe.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Easy,

It's to distract us from the real issue, big pharma and lobbysts

It's them who have been pushing pain pills and antiboitics for everything from a scraped knee to damn allergies.

Big Pharma hires lobbysts to seek less regs to deal with prescriptions and make that process easier

so they can send reps to doctors to sway them with dinners, trips and hookers

So they can prescribe you hardcore narcotics when you complain about a tummy ache, butthurt or even depression

BUT they also know not to KEEP giving you the narcotics as so not to be seen as a problem, it's a set number of pills per person that Big pharma has accountants churning numbers for big profits while not raising too many eyebrowls

after they reach the magic number, the cut the person off, person has addiction from said over prescribe narcotics

person can't find pills as easily after various pill mill and fake emergency room visits

and Boom, heroin, or even mail orders take top priority for said person

and that's how a majority of people get addicted

---

Crappier part is, kids watch, learn that docs are good, listen to them, " doc I hurt " , doc repeats with kids

kids follow parents and addiction grows and big pharma reaps more money selling narcotics to get off addiction to heavier narcotic.

----

If you've seen the south park episode about " Cash for Gold " just hum that song and imagine that cycle repeating over and over , just with people + pills -pills + heroin - heroin + suboxone / methadone = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I believe this is called - unfettered Capitalism.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
edit on 28-10-2017 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: ausername

I was on low dosage pain med's for two years a few years back. I followed the instructions and never did get hooked on them and to be honest I don't experience the euphoria others seem to so quitting was as easy as telling my doctor I don't want them anymore and I stopped. Having never abused them, I did not have any withdrawal. Some can do that, but for others they seem to be easily hooked for whatever reason.

You... you just said it was a low dosage. That's why you didn't experience euphoria, and that's why you didn't get hooked. It's not that you have superior willpower to others or something. Stop absolving doctors and pharma companies of blame.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

a reply to: Cypress

I don't buy into the paranoid idea that the medical and pharmaceutical industry are out to get us first of all.

If you disagree that people do drugs and get addicted because they are self medicating because they don't feel good, I'll have to say you are wrong. You don't get addicted because you drink or do drugs for recreation, you do so because there is a hole in your life you are trying to fill. Depression, chronic pain and other things lead to it. Mostly its psychological reasons.

You are right that socioeconomic levels play no role, although the experience is different for a poor person than for a person of means.

It's no accident that the rise in the numbers coincides with the recent recession and the number of people who no longer work and have given up. It plays a major role in this IMO.

jess christ. just stop. stop with your uninformed nonsense. Every addict became addicted because they're self-medicating, doctors just want to help people, blah blah blah.... it's all wrong, and repeating it ad nausea isn't going to make it true. Is that true in some cases? Yes, obviously. But your repeated implications that all people become addicted due to self-medication is complete and utter BS. You are
conveniently ignoring the countless cases where people become addicted because a doctor prescribed them an opoid that they didn't truly need, or a dose much higher than necessary, or for a much longer duration than was necessary. Claiming that every single addict is at fault for their own addiction, and that they were all simply self-medicating, or somehow going behind the doctor's back, is disingenuous, uninformed BS.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

a reply to: ausername
Having never abused them, I did not have any withdrawal.

Would you mind expanding on this statement?

At a quick glance, it seems to suggest that withdrawals only occur with abuse. While a patient who takes them as directed shouldn't experience withdrawals, that is a result of never taking them long enough to build physical dependency or never having to abruptly cease taking the medications.

Physical dependency occurs with continued use alone, irrespective of abuse. Its probably also good to make a distinction between "dependency" and "addiction."

He''s just spouting uninformed nonsense with no idea what he is talking about. Over and over and over again. He said himself that he was on a low dosage. THAT is why he didn't experience withdrawals. So he has never experienced taking a medication exactly as prescribed and still going through withdrawals because the prescription was too strong, or was written for too long of a duration. He has zero.idea what he's talking about. That obviously hasn't stopped him from climbing upon his high horse and claiming that all addicts are completely at fault for their own addiction, and just aren't a's strong as he is. It's uninformed BS.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join