It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Strategy Would Cut F-35s, Boost Bombers and UAVs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
apparently they will be focusing on unmanned operations.

link

i dont find this surprising at all for a first strike, why would you use them when we have so many very stealthy platforms is beyond me.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

And everyone that really thinks that they'll let this happen, raise your hand.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
uhm Article says Oct 31, 2014

so at least they actually went ahead with the LRS-B...

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

you disagree that that in the future we will send in more drones than manned fighters or bombers?

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Not at all. But as long as the CSAF comes up through fighters, as they have 99.9% of the time, then fighters are going to be the Air Force priority.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

the B-21 i believe will be used as a command point for things the the RQ-180 and a few other things. and let's not forget that the B-21 had the requirement to be optionally manned.

i think there will still be men flying around but there will be allot more drones than actual manned fighters or bombers.

with the ability to dump racks and racks of drones out of a c-130 it seems kinda of obvious

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

i understand how that could affect future decisions but to what end. would they allow the the US to fall behind in air dominance to further their legacy of manned fighters

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think it's pretty obvious they won't produce nearly the projected numbers of F-35's, what was it, 2000+ or something like that? Recent history has shown that they tend to cut actual production numbers to like 1/4 of what the early numbers indicate.

Technology moves too fast now, before your 10 - 20 year development and your 10 - 20 year production runs are finished you're left with an antique.

I don't know what the answer is, hopefully we have smart people working on these problems but I'm not overly hopeful about that either.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Fall behind what? No one is even remotely close to having an air to air UAV yet. The US is one of the leaders in the field and we're looking at 10 years.

For that matter there's not even a decent swarm strike capability yet. The only swarm tested to date is far to small to even carry weapons, let alone take over a mission.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   

China is a looming power house, but i was referring to technology in general. i am a believer in having the best of the best, and why limit ourselves because of some clique

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

So was I. We're not even remotely close to being behind anyone out there.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I am having a hard time expressing myself, but getting behind on our self. i know everything cant be cutting edge. but when we have the tech it seems like a waste not to use it as much as money allows

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I think your statement has a lot to do with the situation. The money allocated only goes so far.
That said, there is sooo much waste in the DoD/Procurement process. If we could cut out the waste, I can only imagine what we could actually afford with our current budget.

The lie I keep telling myself is the overspend is intentional and is used for black budget shiny toys... sadly, I don't even believe my own lie.

~Winter

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

But that's my point, we DON'T have the tech. No one does. Our heaviest strike UAV is the Reaper. Loyal Wingman has seen three tests to date. Swarm UAVs have seen one.

They're not stopping development of them, but they're not going to be ready for years yet. You don't plan today for something you won't have for 10 years down the road.

new topics

top topics

join