It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any rock hounds in the house.?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I do a bit of metal detecting and in the process i'm always picking up rocks/minerals that i find interesting, Occasionally i find rocks that are far heavier than their size suggests, these come home with me for a couple of reasons.

1, They could be meteorites and 2, i like to know what has been going on in the fields i detect on. ie, Iron workings, be it iron age or bronze age.

I found this small rock/mineral a few days ago. As you can see it has some real weight for it's size. a good bit heavier than iron the same size and was wondering if someone could identify it. I have cracked it open to show you what material on the inside is giving it the mass . Any help would be appreciated.
The inside is real silvery. glittery would be a better description. PS, Whatever it is it's non magnetic.

Any ideas.?
edit on 26-10-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
DONT DAMAGE IT. any further!!!

Some people pay damn good money for those!!! Take it to the local college

Some go for 300 bucks a gram!!
edit on 10/26/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Probably Hematite (Fe2O3).

Heavy due to the iron. FeS or Fools Gold is a common shiny yellow brittle substance found.

Lick the stone. Fool Gold gives off a acidic taste which is why people would always bite a gold coin to check that it is real gold. FeS will dilute to Sulphuric Acid in your saliva.

The shine could be silver at best. See the shine of fools gold. Scratch it with steel or quartz and it will all scratch off.

edit on 26-10-2017 by Tristran because: Pic

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Tristran

I was under the impression people bite gold because it’s a soft metal and will dent , fools gold will not...

Traditionally, people would bite down on precious metals to test their authenticity. Pure gold is a soft metal — so soft that biting down on it would leave a noticeable mark. ... Since silver is a much harder metal than gold, Olympians won't make a dent when they bite down on their

Not sure where you get your info

And for god sake DONT LICK IT!!! Lol not telling what contaminates could be on it or in the soil, not to mention many things can give off an acidic taste...

No offense Tristan but come in bud
edit on 10/26/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Yeah. For 'purity test' you bite gold, but black gold (crude oil) you taste it for if its sweet.

Acids dont have a universal flavor.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Hmmm... Did you stick a magnet to it?

meteoritegallery.com...

www.daviddarling.info...

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

I dont believe it to be a meteorite.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yeah. For 'purity test' you bite gold, but black gold (crude oil) you taste it for if its sweet.

Acids dont have a universal flavor.

Errrr lol I never said acids have a universal flavor, acidic is acidic, and I’m not sure what crude has to do w this gentleman’s rock? But okie dokie.....

At any rate he should still refrain from from damaging it further and take it in to be looked at, could be worth a lot

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tristran
Probably Hematite (Fe2O3).

Heavy due to the iron. FeS or Fools Gold is a common shiny yellow brittle substance found.

Lick the stone. Fool Gold gives off a acidic taste which is why people would always bite a gold coin to check that it is real gold. FeS will dilute to Sulphuric Acid in your saliva.

The shine could be silver at best. See the shine of fools gold. Scratch it with steel or quartz and it will all scratch off.

I know what fools gold is, this is silver not gold in colour. As i said it's non magnetic so zero iron content.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Hmmm... Did you stick a magnet to it?

meteoritegallery.com...

www.daviddarling.info...

yes..I explained that above..non magnetic.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I was talking to both of you. Everyone.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

However we do not know if it is or not...I’m no geologist but doesn’t hurt to have someone look st it instead of arm chair consultants on the Internet (including myself)

I’d rather be safe and it not be, instead of damaging it or just throwing it in a box and it being valuable and unique

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   
BTW, Yes i have licked and sniffed it...just the shiney part.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

What do you think it could be

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

However we do not know if it is or not...I’m no geologist but doesn’t hurt to have someone look st it instead of arm chair consultants on the Internet (including myself)

I’d rather be safe and it not be, instead of damaging it or just throwing it in a box and it being valuable and unique

I posted pics of it on a meteorite FB page, general concensus is it's not a meteorite.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   

What do you think it could be

I havn't got a clue..I have lumps of Iron and Copper ore but the weight of it is throwing me. I know block tin has a bit of weight to it but never seen tin ore so stumped here.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
3rd picture down seems to show a green surface. Is it dark green, like oxidized copper ?

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   

www.daviddarling.info...

Enstatite is a common mineral belonging to the pyroxene group of silicates. It has the chemical formula Mg2Si2O6 being thus unusual among pyroxenes in that it is virtually iron-free. Enstatite and ferrosilite (Fe2Si2O6) form a complete solid solution series. Enstatite is found as rock-building material in basic and ultrabasic rocks such as gabbro, norite and peridotite. When it occurs in crystalline form, which is rare, it is as grayish green, light brown, white, or transparent crystals belonging to the orthorhombic system (three unequal axes at right angles to each other). Hardness 5.5; relative density 3.2–3.5.

edit on 26-10-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tristran
3rd picture down seems to show a green surface. Is it dark green, like oxidized copper ?

No Green, Just the lighting here is bad and i'm using a nexus to take the pics.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Could you possibly take another photo, but with extreme zoom on the face you sheered?
I would like to see the granularity of the rock.
Is the rock soft?
can you do a hardness test for me and find a small spot you could try scrapping with a pin.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join