It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor claims math is white privilege and teaching it is discrimination

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yes it's culture, poor schools, and bad attitudes towards math.

To be fully serious about it all one has to do in today's age is search terms "Ancient African Mathematicians" and there are tons of extremely interesting articles that come up discussing the topic in depth. And of course you can mess with those search terms and dig up all sorts of surprises.

The reason they are surprises is because learning anything academic seems to be a surprise. Not just about Africa, but about anyone, Europe Asia Oceania the ME, anything. Our education system is dismal and a complete failure.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to: muzzleflash

True everyone right now have more ingormation on their finger tips than a complete set of encylopedia, back in the day I would have to sit in a liberary just to research basic information.
edit on 26-10-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

True everyone right now have more ingormation on their finger tips than a complete set of encylopedia, back in the day I would have to sit in a liberary just to research the basics of anything.

Dangit, I was going to go on and on about ginger tips!

Curse you Spider!!!!!! *shakes fist*

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: Spider879

True everyone right now have more ingormation on their finger tips than a complete set of encylopedia, back in the day I would have to sit in a liberary just to research the basics of anything.

Dangit, I was going to go on and on about ginger tips!

Curse you Spider!!!!!! *shakes fist*

Hah..
ok ok I fixed it u guys can be so mean.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

...........And this Asshats Opinion Matters to Whom other than himself ?

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Thank you for telling me of your actual college days experience.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I support real social justice, but it is people or articles like this that make me feel that identity politics has gone too far. There have also been articles saying that science is also racist or promoting white supremacy.

There is a deeply problematic move amongst some to equate logic, rationalism, data, and science with white supremacy. Post modernism has taken over much of the discourse.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

...........And this Asshats Opinion Matters to Whom other than himself ?
It's indicative of a larger issue.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Math is an Asian privilege due to their inherited semantic structure. I always thought professors were smart till I went to college. Then I realized they're just ordinary folks, sometimes less knowledgeable than their students. Who cares what they say

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I can only grab my stomach and run to the bathroom once a day.

This is just so crazy and over the top I can literally not read your entire post.

Please tell me no one here is agreeing with the professor.

I can't look.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

This is just gross. Someone smack that professor and dont even explain why.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Maybe I'm just too old, but in my entire lifetime, from grade school to college, I never once had a person of any color other than white declare that math was 'whiteness' and thus they had a mental block to learning it. The top students in my college Trig, Algebra, physics and calculus classes were East Indian and Asian. One of the women I work with is from Barbados and she's a Pharmacy Tech. Lot of math in that field.

Sorry, but this woman is reaching for that golden SJW ring and making an issue of something that I don't think is an issue at all. A person with aptitude for math will succeed regardless of color. Just as many white kids have a rough time with math as other races and a lot of it also has to do with the declining quality of public education across the board. Too many students, not enough teachers and a lack of qualified teacher's aides to help out kids who are struggling.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

" It's indicative of a larger issue. "

The Indication of the " Larger Issue " Is then >?

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: trollzso why is she still employed at this university is she tenured an academic crapping on math smmfh.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

" It's indicative of a larger issue. "

The Indication of the " Larger Issue " Is then >?

Pardon? Are you asking what the larger issue is? The larger issue is that some of these extremist tendencies in the movement aren't isolated but prevalent in academia and the media, not to mention many government offices and NGOs.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Oh, hell NO!

Another form of mathematical discrimination, according to the professor, might be the use of such terms as "Pythagorean theorem and pi," as these might apparently "perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans."
Source: www.rt.com...

No, no, no, NO, NO!

Pythagous developed the Pythagorean Theorem, but the Persians then figured out how to expand it's practicality using Algebra. Pi is a freakin' physical constant... it is what it is and no matter who writes what in what book or claims who is racist towards who, the ratio of circumference to diameter of a circle will not change! The only reason we call it "pi" is because we ran out of alphabet... somewhere, someone (I think the Greeks?) decided to use the lowercase Greek letter pi to represent 3.14159...infinity. It's freakin' easier to write!

It could have just as easily been omega... eta... epsilon... tau...

This piece of filth is worse than a murderer. A murderer kills individuals, but this kind of bull-hockey kills hundreds, perhaps thousands, of lives full of potential by robbing them of that potential. How in the world is this idiot even allowed to enter a campus dedicated to academia, much less allowed to spread her filthy ignorance among young minds desiring to learn? She is spouting absolute nonsense disguised as fact, based on the most blatant lack of knowledge I have ever witnessed... and believe me, that's saying a lot.

The person who originally taught me to love math was Ms. Blevins in the 6th grade... a white woman. The person who taught me calculus was not only a woman, but was promoted to Dean some time later and is recognized today as a legend among the math instructors. Over 50% of the instructors in the math department in my two-year college were women. The guy who taught my Optimal Control Theory class, which is based on some of the most rigorous mathematics I have encountered (a single problem can take literally months to work out completely) is black (and one of the most adept people I have ever met mathematically).

This... this right here is why we don't have flying cars. This is why airplanes crash. This is why we still burn fossil fuels. This is why we have progressed so slowly in our technology. She should never be allowed to enter a school zone or college campus again, under penalty of death.

TheRedneck

edit on 10/28/2017 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Tell that to all the Asians and Indians...lol

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

This. All day long, this.

This is the truth of the matter. If even one child, or set of parents is helped to decide against mathematics, or a related field (aren't they all in some way related...?), because they're influenced by this idiot, than that's a crime.

I struggle with math, as a result I tend to shy away from it--but someone while speaking to him, has made me at least consider reexploring some options.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

You wanna learn math? I can have you speaking math like a pro in 6 months. I can do the same for cavtrooper above. It's just a language.

But it's the language of physics, which is the basis for engineering, which gives us all the nice little toys that make our lives longer, healthier, better, and more productive and fulfilling. Something the fool we're discussing apparently wants to take away from society.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Sure, stop teaching math to black students, what do they need it for?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join