It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor claims math is white privilege and teaching it is discrimination

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Bunch of MATH USERS....I GOT no time...

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I don't think anyone on this thread thinks that.

I do think she thinks that though. If she didn't, she wouldn't have bothered to bring it up.

Right. No one here believes that. You, or me, or anyone else. The misconception here from what I am reading is that people think that the professor does. THAT is the misconception of this thread.

Someone who spends all their time trying to figure out how to blame race for everything clearly has no racial issues at all.

Who's trying to blame race on this?

She is. See above.

Terry explained and I concurred. Have you watched the movie "Hidden Figures"?

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

There are 3 types of people.

Those who know math, and those that don't.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I'm pretty sure they're offering this "white knowledge" in university, to all the races. Now if they can handle the workloads of study.. That's on them. Was wif da white folk praffesserz sayzen we is dumb?

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

There are 3 types of people.

Those who know math, and those that don't.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
Call me extreme, but anyone even uttering this crap should be immediately removed from the room they are in, taken outside and shot.

People who stir this kinda crap up are complete morons to society.

What about murderers?

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

That is a different issue than math itself being white which is what she said.

Math operates as "whiteness." That isn't like saying that some mathematicians have been hidden from public view. That's saying that we can't call it the Pythagorean Theorem because Pythagoras was an old, dead white dude and that makes math alien to people who aren't white. It enhances the "whiteness" of math.

It's like she's saying that you can't study the ancient canon of English literature because that makes English operate with too much "whiteness" (you know, ignoring that the people who came up with English were, in fact, white).

Your spin is very different than her contention.

And she's saying that because math has that "whiteness" too many grants go into that field of study.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Math operates as "whiteness."

You forgot to include the qualifier "On many levels".

So on other levels it doesn't "operate as whiteness".

And she's saying that because math has that "whiteness" too many grants go into that field of study.

It certainly did in the past. How many grants black and/or female mathematicians and scientists do you think received in the past?

edit on 10/25/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well I do math all day for work....so do my coworkers of a few different nationalities....some of them don't speak English or speak it very poorly....I can understand why math professors get more grants. We use math to make things every day. The need to speak English seems fairly unnecessary compared to the ability to do math which from my experience is done fairly well by anyone of any race capable of understanding it.

The best math professor I ever had was a woman. She was the most patient teacher I think I've ever had in any subject through all my schooling. She was willing to sit and re explain an entire lecture for every single student over and over until they understood and never got impatient. I'm pretty sure she never stopped working either. She taught my math class at 7 in the morning. At the time I worked part time night security at the school while going there. She'd still be teaching when I left at 10 pm when I finished. She was there all day I was at school in classes as well and would help anyone pretty much whenever they needed it. Also, she was literally a rocket scientist.

So her whole argument about men and math is also some bull#.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

No, you are moving the goal posts.

She wasn't fussed about who got the grants. She was fussed about fields of study.

Math and science got the grants over English and social studies. She wasn't talking about white mathematicians getting them over black ones.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Not moving the goal posts. I'd like to see the evidence that white men got more grants and black men less grants in the field of mathematics than other fields.

Math and science got the grants over English and social studies.

If you dispute that then you need evidence to the contrary.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
No it's true...

There is actually a tiny little white guy inside your calculator.

What you actually believed that a piece of metal could do multiplication and division without help?
hahahahahah.

Don't tell anyone about this.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Well math is racist afterall, what would you expect to come next?

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I wonder what Asian's think about all of this................

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

OF course I can'r deny such impeccable logic.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: muzzleflash

I wonder what Asian's think about all of this................

Look, if Asians are good at math, than clearly they are white.

Just ask the professor this thread was written about.
It's a professor, they have a degree, they know stuff. Facts and stuff.
Math's white. Duh...catch up with the times brah.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Well math is racist afterall, what would you expect to come next?

Toilets. Toilets are white.

Well, they turn brown or black, but they started out white.

This realization will lead to everyone protesting toilet privileges and not use them anymore.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
She is a freakin idiot, I mean really, as an "educator" she is willing to cede math to European descendent ppl or perhaps Asians?? Because she lacked knowledge of the use of math in African societies or African descendant communities, I get that she maybe frustrated by the dismal performance of a lot of native born AAs in this field, but that is mainly the result in schooling and attitude.

If I were her, instead of bowing to the stereotype, I'd be emphasizing the roles African/African descendant folks played in it's development , I would Introduced books to my class like
Africa Counts* by Claudia Zaslasky.
African Fractals* by Ron Eglash.
This ^ also have an interesting YouTube vid, on Ted Talks.
Books on mathematics were written and imported into Medieval West Africa.
Pyramids, temples, city planning, and complex trading involved weights and measures in mathematics.
If the above seemed too distant in the past and too foreign then I'd start with Benjamin Banneker and end with any number of AA mathematician today still breathing.
Side note anyone checked out the movie Hidden Figures,Females especially would be thusly inspired

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Thankfully we are now entering the post-white guilt era.

See at first when there was some good points brought up, we were like wow we need to be more inclusive and tolerant and sensitive.

Then it got outta hand, and we were like really intimidated by some of the more obscene anti-white talk.

Then the SJW's came along and made it all so absurd and stupid that we were like "you know what, I don't give a # about this race crap anymore. This is retarded!".

And now we are here, in the post-white guilt era.
We can actually talk openly about whiteness and not feel guilty or ashamed anymore without sounding racist or bigoted while doing it. This whole thing has quickly become passé.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
You eat tacos?

You know those represent the Spanish Conquistadors subjugating and murdering countless native Americans?
You tyrant!

The taco predates the arrival of the Spanish in Mexico. There is anthropological evidence that the indigenous people living in the lake region of the Valley of Mexico traditionally ate tacos filled with small fish. Writing at the time of the Spanish conquistadors, Bernal Díaz del Castillo documented the first taco feast enjoyed by Europeans, a meal which Hernán Cortés arranged for his captains in Coyoacán.[6][7]

See what I'm sayin?
We stole it from them, murdered them, and now act like the Taco is ours.
This is worse than a micro-aggression!

And yes, I am virtue signaling.
Every time I eat a Taco I make sure to condemn 10 people for being oppressive to the natives. That way I can go to sleep at night because I'm turning this ship around.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join